24 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:32 PM

This summer we picked up a used Ranger II in the Sacramento area. We will be using it on our ranger pickup. Like many others we've been working on a remodel, fixing a few problems, and making it "ours". Some of the interior changes include removing the refrigerator as we've used ice chests for years and want the storage space. We have replaced the original sink and stove moving them both out from under the bed slider. Anyone here want a used stove and sink? Free if you pick them up. We are also putting two drawers in in place of the two bottom sliders in the lower cabinet. The original couch had been modified (being kind here) by the previous owner. We are doing a small dinette setup borrowing on many of the fine ideas posted on this forum. Thanks for sharing! We removed the wings and notched out the furnace area so it would fit the ranger's bed. I'll attach a few photos. My brother had some bumper material from off a car hauling trailer that we thought would work well for lower bumpers against the truck bed. This is a long strip of aluminum channel covered with rubber bumper that slips on two channels that we just cut short pieces from. We will keep you updated with photos as the project progresses.

Attached Thumbnails

• wing-redo-001-web.jpg
  • wing-redo-002-web.jpg
  • camper-bumper-002-web.jpg
  • camper-bumper-003-web.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

Looking good,

The important part you hit on is making it "Yours".

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

This looks great 3pin, currently I have a 2x4 duct taped to the floor pack as a bumper on mine. Yours is a much nicer solution. I just spent the weekend in Hope Valley which is very close for you and found some great camp sites, will be posting a trip report soon. The aspens were not changing yet but after this weekends snow I think next weekend or the weekend after will be prime aspen time. You should check it out.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

Rich, I have about 5 feet more of that channel and bumper if you want some. Hope Valley is great isn't it? Scott Lake, Crater Lake, Burnside Lake, Forestdale Divide, Red Lake Peak, Stevens Peak; we know this area mostly in the winter as these are favorite backcountry ski trips of ours. If you like history, check out www.longcamp.com. The possible location of Fremonts camp prior to going over Carson Pass is discussed along with coordinates.

We made it down to ATC yesterday and came back with more supplies along with very helpful direction from the guys which is much appreciated. We will be working on the new cabinet and countertop and will post photos of the progress. Got to get this done before its time to wax the skis!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:47 AM

Time for an update. On October 20th we dropped the camper off at ATC for Marty, Jeff, and Don to replace the side liner material. We had several pin holes, the clear plastic window covers had shrunk, and the original had no outside storm flaps. And, after our first real storm of the year here, we found it leaked. Ten days later we have it back home. We are very pleased with the work done which included the new side liner; straightening and bracing a bend on the roof frame; taking off, cleaning up, patching, and resealing the roof; installing a new front lift mechanism - which they found we needed; re-bracing the rear lift; installing a fantastic fan; and a new propane door. We can't say enough about these guys expertise, workmanship, and helpful advise on how to do the work we are doing ourselves to finish up our project. It is a pleasure dealing with just down home great guys who also like cookies.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper-1-nov-09-001-web.jpg
  • camper-1-nov-09-002-web.jpg

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:59 AM

Here's some of the work we have accomplished and what we still have ahead. The new floor is in. We replaced the paneling behind the cabinet. The cabinet is being rebuilt with a new counter top. Two drawers are going in below the cabinet. We are also working on the dinette set up for the two of us on the opposite side. The next chores are to redo the wiring, the propane supply lines, and designing the cabinet front. With all the places I'm hearing that my wife wants to visit, it looks like we need to get it done, and it will be getting lots of use.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper-1-nov-09-003-web.jpg
  • camper-1-nov-09-004-web.jpg
  • camper-1-nov-09-006-web.jpg

#7 tacodan

tacodan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

You have a 6' bed? How far dose the ranger 2 hang off it??

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:58 PM

Tacodan, Yes it is a six foot bed. The camper is out six to 7 inches. I'm loading it back on the truck this weekend. I'll take some detailed shots.

#9 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

Looking great!!!!!

How much did the liner (and labor for install) set you back?

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:58 AM

The new side liner; straightening and bracing a bend on the roof frame; taking off, cleaning up, patching, and resealing the roof; installing a new front lift mechanism; and a new propane door set us back around $1350 if I remember well. Money well spent and the guys did a great job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users