Time for a mattress upgrade!
The 3" mattress that came in the YOHO is waaaaaay to firm for our liking, making for an uncomfortable sleep. We ordered up a 5" Gel/Memory Foam mattress in Medium Firm and set to work installing it.
Note: Some of the links below are my Amazon Affiliate links, I make a small portion each time someone purchases from Amazon using one of my links, at no extra cost to the buyer. I only provide links to items that I personally like and use myself. i use the money to put back into my builds and support making videos/posts. If you prefer not to use my links you can search for the same items directly off Amazon. Thank you for the support!
FDW 5" Mattress: CLICK HERE
3M 90 Glue: CLICK HERE
Electric Bread Knife: CLICK HERE
The stock YOHO Mattress.
Removing the original mattress from the cover. The cover is well built and we will modify/re-use this cover with the new mattress.
New vs Old. You can see that the fire blanket on the OEM mattress is coming unglued. I'm betting they are ordering mattresses, removing the fire blanket, cutting the foam to fit and re-gluing the fire blanket back into place.
Here I'm doing the same process I just described, I've cut open the fire blanket so I can remove it to cut the foam to size. The fire blanket will be re-installed and the seams glued back in place with a bit of 3M 90 after the foam is cut to size.
Using the old mattress as a template I traced the outline onto the new mattress.
An electric bread knife works great for cutting foam and leaves a nice clean cut.
Our cat kept wanting to attack the knife blades lol, had to keep her out of the way.
The new mattress is 1.75" thicker than the old unit.
With the mattress cut to size and the fire blanket re-installed it's time to get out the sewing machine and modify the cover. The cover is made to fit the stock 3" mattress and needs to have some material added to it to accept the new 5" mattress. We could have just put the new mattress in a new zip up RV mattress cover but the stock cover is very nice and matches the interior so we decided to modify/reuse it.
The bottom of the cover is vinyl, we will rip out the stitches and add the new material between the vinyl bottom and the upper cover.
Cutting some filler material out of outdoor grey duck fabric. The solid grey should work well in this application.
I used seam tape to secure the new material to the vinyl bottom, this holds it in place and you sew right through the tape. Works sooooo nice!