20 replies to this topic

#1 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 06:18 PM

We are just back from a month in Nevada and central/southern Utah. While fresh on my mind I thought I would share how we keep from getting lost and find new places. Please ignore if you already have this stuff figured out.

Back in the 1980’s I was exploring the high plateau above Cedar City Utah. The plateau averages around 9600 feet elevation, undulating over old lava flows amid conifer stands. Despite being a life-long visitor to the back country since childhood I rarely ever got lost. That day on the high plateau was different. I had walked through the forest and lava flows for a while, occasionally crossing old dirt vehicle tracks; then realizing that there were no distant landmarks or any unique distinguishing features to the terrain. I had lost my way. Pausing, I set out on what I thought was the right direction. No good. Lost. The gray overcast day hid the sun, so I had nothing to go by. It was a terrible feeling. Eventually I found my way back to my truck.

If you have done something similar, you know the mix of relief and embarrassment when you get back in the vehicle and think about the close call you just had. It could have been much different and much worse.

I vowed to never even take a walk without navigation aids. It has grown to be a bit of an obsession. I will share how we find our way in remote and even developed areas. Maybe this information will help someone else.

Principles:

1 - Stay aware of my location. If I don’t know where I am, I stop immediately and figure it out. I don’t keep moving. 

2 - I use multiple systems such as a mix of analog, digital and paper navigation aids. I once, as a test, used three different turn by turn systems (a Garmin dash mount, my Toyota Highlander’s in-car navigation and Google maps on my phone) simultaneously to get to the address of Trader Joe’s in Bend from a location north of Sisters. Each gave me a different route, time varied a lot, and two eventually would have guided me successfully.

3 - I never assume a road or trail exists as shown on my navigation tools. I double check by confirming landmarks and terrain features. Time and weather changes on the ground conditions constantly, particularly in off-highway areas. Highways can be different too, such as the bridge washout west of Blanding Utah on highway 95, which forced a detour through winding fairly rough high clearance roads for nearly a year.

What I use at this moment:

• Paper maps: Benchmark and Delorme atlases, National Geographic trail guides, books and visitor information guides.

• Analog devices: Brunton compass, Suunto M-3 compass.

• Handheld digital devices: Garmin InReach mini-2, Garmin e-trex, smartphone when there is reception.

• Dashmount digital devices: Garmin DriveSmart 65, Samsung GPS 10 inch tablet with Avenza maps with Benchmark, Delorme, USFS MVUMs and other digital maps as needed.

I always set a digital waypoint on both the Garmin handhelds before going off on a walk. They can vary from true location by as much as a 100 yards, so I don’t rigidly follow them. See number 1, above.

I always bear in mind the old maxim: “The map is not the terrain.”

Stay safe and have fun out there.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#2 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 06:43 PM

Yup...been there and walked/swam in circles...here is my approach...I use this topside and underwater....before leaving starting point I take a reciprocal compass bearing, essential UW when diving, this is my return vector..I assume at worst I will/may be laterally on the return the reciprocal but if i know the approximate distances out and back, I will know when to turn right or left 90 degrees ....topside I also locate a road or or terrain ridge/feature that will eventually [regardless of distance] get me unstuck before setting out and note the compass compass bearing from my destination/stopping point to that prominent feature/road or depth contour/bottom features for UW...

Just me but I will never trust or depend on a battery anything to not quit when I am in a potentially life threatening situation...and weather/terrain/temp can produce such situations very quickly....I also always carry a topo map [which can give elevations changes on your route] whether hiking, skiing BC or off road motorcycling and a chart when sea kayaking or bathymetric maps contoured on a slate when diving..

I spent much of my professional life in high-risk activities and with the added responsibility for the safety of others...lessons hard won and not forgotten..so far I have avoid the worst.

Sorry to carry on so long and I may have forgotten salient points...and of course I may be wrong! B)  

Edited by Wallowa, 22 October 2023 - 06:46 PM.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 October 2023 - 06:52 PM

Well said!

Julie & I taught land navigation for decades, starting back way before all these devices and apps and such that have changed the world. Because of our background and skill, we started teaching for SAR organizations and then grew to many other organizations and groups.

One of our mantras was "Confirm, confirm, confirm," that meant, even if you are convinced you know where you are, stop and double or triple check. It never hurts. So, Julie and I are in the habit of stopping, pulling out the map and such, and confirming our location.

Second to share, "It's our habits that save our lives." Learn a skill and practice it until it becomes a habit. In times of stress we fall back on habits. Develop good habits.

And a third, "Never trust your life to something that runs on batteries."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:04 PM

Ski3Pin

Wow...that hits all the points is golden advice....could not agree more...

Old saw in diving, "stop, breath, think, breath and then make decisions"....

Phil

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Phil.

And an old saw from the backcountry - when confronted with a problem STOP.

Stop

Think

Organize

Plan

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:21 PM

AWG, thanks for starting an important topic! Long ago I stopped being surprised with how little people know about basic navigation even when they profess to know so much.

I expect many here feel the same.

Julie has an interesting technique she uses. When stopped on the trail, and asked the usual questions such as "how far to the lake?" Her response is, "Pull out your map and let's figure it out!"

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:29 PM

Add to that this effective mantra:

The OODA loop (observe, orient, decide, act) was developed by military strategist and United States Air Force Colonel John Boyd. 

All comes back to logical, objective decision making, skills sets and knowledge....tough to teach, but by example it isn't.

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:34 PM

Lots of good info.

I find that on a trail I am new to ,when I come to a divide to a new trail

I turn around to place in my mind what the route looks on return.

Also since I always have  an I phone or camera a photo of a confusing

part of the trail helps.Maybe it's just me but the trail always looks different on the return.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:10 PM

Lots of good, practical advice in these responses. Thanks!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#10 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:43 PM

And this particular 68 year old reformed field geologist's favorite adage, oft repeated herein, is "there is no complete substitute for a map, a compass, and the skillset to use them".

During our college years, a group of a dozen or so geology majors went to Table Rock, NC to do some elementary climbing, mostly top-roping a particularly easy route.  We were accompanied by our Department chairman, a very field oriented structural geologist who'd done mapping projects in the Southern Appalachians for his MS and PhD at Virginia Tech. He was at that time also the full time Director of Virginia Tech's field camp, teaching field methods to dozens and dozens of VPI undergrad students each summer.  No stranger to land navigation, this old bird.  

Well, after starting down the trail from the climbing route on Table Rock, about 3/4 of our group decided to bushwhack down a long and very steep slope to replace 3-4 miles of switchbacks with a one mile plunge through a rhodo hell. Same group which had imbibed a bit topside once off belay.  The good professor told those with him "if those damn hippies got ripped and beat us down to the trucks, I'm going to flunk them all".  Well, he had the topo and he managed to take a wrong turn at a trail intersection, so we did in fact get to the trucks first. After a short while we started one of them up and went out hunting the Boss.  We found him, madder than a hornet, around 2 miles off course on a gravel road.  I don't think he spoke a word all the way back to Boone, NC.

Foy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: navigation, maps, GPS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users