#11 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:16 PM

Foy

Great story! It is always important to retain a bit of humility when faced with nature's wiles!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#12 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:22 PM

I like to tell this story at this point when none of the above seems to work :wacko: !

Our very experienced archaeological survey team was doing some inventory work for the USFS up on the -I think it was Stanislaus NF -in 1973-4. Anyway, it was back in the dark ages before GPS was available to the public (meaning using compasses, common sense, and USGS Maps and land features) and we were just starting to work this new area.  We had been warned that because of the high mineral content that we should ignore our compasses and use geographic and cultural features, especially painted rocks and an old trapper cabin, to find our way around out there.

So, of course, on the first day, we ignored this sage advise  and headed into woods following our compass bearings and an old marked up topo map in search of the cabin and (of course) a couple of hours later we found ourselves back at the starting point-hmm, maybe the advise was right.   So off we go again into this very forested area with lot's of boulders, trees and rock flows and features, old mine shafts and can't see the mountains and other land features to get our bearings, so we really get lost this time!  What saved us -the newest member of the team-first time out in the woods. As we stumbled around out there trying to figure out where we are, he popes off with " hey isn't that the sun up there thru the trees-can't we use that somehow to find where we are?" 

Oh gees, here we are this great experienced field team and we got so pissed off and flustered that we forgot about the first thing any traveler learns -use the sun idiot. Well, we did, found the cabin and did not become one of those Darwin stories!  I guess there are to many lessons learned from this tale-take your pick, so enough said!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 22 October 2023 - 10:00 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#13 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:42 PM

We had been warned that because of the high mineral content that we should ignore our compasses 

I forgot to mention -- don't stand near your truck to get a magnetic bearing. 100 feet separation is probably adequate!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 October 2023 - 09:53 PM

Foy

Great story! It is always important to retain a bit of humility when faced with nature's wiles!

Yes, it is :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 Marysmith.0901

Marysmith.0901

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 October 2023 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for sharing your navigation wisdom,  It's always rough getting lost in the great outdoors, especially when there aren't any distinguishable features around. I'm definitely taking your advice on double-checking information and not assuming things on my next hike off the beaten path. Keep the good times rolling, and stay safe out there!

Edited by Marysmith.0901, 25 October 2023 - 04:15 AM.

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 October 2023 - 03:16 PM

Map question. Many of my FS maps are huge. Difficult to unfold in the cab and real pita if the wind is blowing (as it would be in my open top Jeep). Fold it to just the area you need and you'll never get it properly folded back up again. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this problem?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 October 2023 - 03:18 PM

Only thing I can add is to learn to read the terrain features from the topographic map you are carrying....takes practice but you start to visualize the map in 3D...

Phil

"Not lost, just wandering"   B)

#18 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 October 2023 - 04:49 PM

Map question. Many of my FS maps are huge. Difficult to unfold in the cab and real pita if the wind is blowing (as it would be in my open top Jeep). Fold it to just the area you need and you'll never get it properly folded back up again. Anyone have any tips or tricks for this problem?

A life long problem which I have never solved. End up with some mutilated and weirdly folded maps. Maybe someone else has an elegant solution?

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#19 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 October 2023 - 05:04 PM

A life long problem which I have never solved. End up with some mutilated and weirdly folded maps. Maybe someone else has an elegant solution?

I always operated on the assumption that the cost of a map was only in proportion to the use.  I do most of my adventures solo, so the cost of a map is not significant in that context...I tear out pages from Benchmark Map books to cover where I am or could wander to and put them in a zip lock [folded of course] along with my USGS topos for the same areas...before my ventures I pour over them and develop a visualization of me route and of features that I can expect to encounter on that route...

Don't "save" a map/topo for another trip, cuz without them on your current adventure there may not be 'another trip'; treat them as expendable, the maps/topos that is.... :cool:

#20 Marysmith.0901

Marysmith.0901

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 November 2023 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for sharing your navigation tips - it's important to have multiple tools and methods to avoid getting lost. Double-checking for road and trail conditions is a great reminder, and I appreciate the mix of analog and digital devices used. Happy exploring!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: navigation, maps, GPS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users