• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

Nice unit. You need to hit New Brighten Beach and spend the night. You will find all the things you need and not be far from home. We just did our shake down trip and found several things we need to modify or add.

• LED lights inside.
  • Foam topper for the mattress.
  • Indoor / outdoor thermometer.
  • Bungee cord around the port a potty (don't ask).
  • Fan inside the refrigerator.
  • Mat for outside the camper.
  • Paper towel holder.

Link to our first trip.
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2535/

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Are you kidding? We love shop pics. Corelle flatware? Hmmmm.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

Congrats on the new rig Saints. I am having my old Fleet re-skinned by the ATC guys this month and can't wait, should look shiny and bright like your new rig there. While in the Morrow Bay area don't miss the Avala beach hot springs, no camping but a great place to rent a tub for the evening. Montana de oro is another must see spot, amazing cliffs on the ocean. Enjoy your trip!
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#14 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:13 PM

Well, after a bit of driving around. I am going to replace the springs (coils in front and leafs in back) because the Taco is hitting the bump stops (?). I had put the super springs on hoping that would be good enough, but with all the extras I had put on the camper, it weighs over 800 lbs. I think Jeff said 840. It rides alright and is the slightest tippy around turns and in the wind, but going over rough roads it is bottoming out.
There is a guy in town who does springs (Central Coast 4 wheel drive) and he said he can make me up some. I think he said (when I opted for the super springs) it would be around $1,200 bucks. We'll see. Meanwhile we are still going down to Morro bay this weekend to stay at the strand and will shake out the camping then. We always go there and have the trip down pat. 101 south and 1 north (there and back). The strand is right in town so we can always pick up supplies there.
We aren't going to bring my porta potti, it's too big. I think we will eventually get the pett system, but we wont need it in camp grounds anyway. I am going to replace the two closing latches on the propane tank and refrigerator, and the locking latch on the water fill with 3 keyed alike ones.
As far as the bed, as long as she makes it, I am fine with it. If I have to do it, it will be the bags..... unless I end up in the dog house for that ;) .
I have a credit card that has "reward points" on it. I used them for a new camera. After that gets here I will be able to take more and hopefully better pics. I will also use Picasso to help resize them. I hear that program works well. ???
Rich, the way ATC works, your rig will be better than new when you get it back. Those boys do a great job.
Craig, Corelle is very dignified, and I cant break them. plus they are lite weight. set of 4 is $26.00 and has plates bowls and cups that will stack somewhat deciently and not scratch or crack. easy cleanning too.
Thanks for all the congrats!!!

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

Congrats on the new camper. Many days and nights of enjoyment await you.

I did the key lock on the refg and propane tha same as the water and worked well over the years. But it is not leagal as I remembered. But it does keep the propane and refg running while you are away hiking for the weekend. Keep a key handy in a location for fast access.

Springs...I had great luck and service from National Springs on a custom set of 4. Just check with them on prices. I had many thinner leaves in the pack and that gave it a very smooth ride.

Sleeping Bags worked better for us because of the late night thief that sometimes happens to the covers.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:14 AM

Oh yea...

Tippy around curves could be the tire sidewalls flexing. D or E rated tires will stiffen that up.

Or the shocks are too soft...Do you have the Toyota version of the Bilstien?

A custom rear sway bar with disconnect ends are nice and give the truck great cornering feeling. Disconnect one side when off roading for axle travel.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#17 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

just trying to test my pic posting abilities. but here are a couple more of my camper

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0962.jpg
  • 100_0958.jpg

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#18 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Scott, $1,200 for suspension mods on that truck seems high, we had our Eagle on the same truck and add-a-leaf at $350, heavy duty shocks at $250, and air bags @ $260 (self installed) did the job very well for a total of $860 and was very versatile.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#19 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

thats the only reason i come here is for the shop pics!

we did the same thing, good cookware etc.....we went to target and got new $20 frying pans etc.

dont laugh....they are still in perfect condition...the eggs slip around real good!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

......there's nothing like good slippery eggs!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users