23 replies to this topic

#21 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,277 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 November 2023 - 08:55 PM

That is one reason i will be switching to OnX maps. so far folks have said the support is good and at least for me, i can go bang on their front door at the brick and mortar store in MIssoula if online doesn't work!

In addition to the hunt app, I later subscribed to the off road app, but found for me it didn’t add anything I thought I needed.  I upgraded hunt to the National level, then dropped the off road subscription.

Under the rocks are the words
Tu Ne Cede Malis

#22 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 26 November 2023 - 06:24 PM

The latest. As I mentioned, I decided to give Gaia a good try. Since there were battery issues with with our older Samsung tablet (with an older Android OS), we bought a new 8" tablet and I've put the time in setting up and getting it operational as a replacement.

And then I ran into a problem getting the Gaia GPS app to sync with the web. And then, we all know the drill, countless hours down a rabbit hole; an endless time sink to try to resolve the issue. I've read every article the "Gaia Help" points to. In regards to "Gaia Help" I found this on a Gaia Help forum from 10 months ago -

"For those wondering where "support" is beyond the new chatbot that simply points to support articles, the last trace of Gaia staff participating in these forums that I can find is 7 months ago (July?) in this article:

https://help.gaiagps...Download-on-IOS

Anyone see anything more recent?

Folks keep asking where help is but it seems to have been cut. It's likely a new policy resulting from the extensive cost cutting measures implemented by the CEO (possibly to support their critical metaverse initiative. ahem.). Anyway, it's up to members now since it seems to, sadly, be a skeleton crew left which is too bad as in the old days, this forum was very active with helpful, friendly Gaia staff helping users out but again, they likely cannot do so anymore."

I put in a support request to Gaia. Their response thus far -

Hey there,

Thank you for contacting Gaia GPS Support.

We have received your email and will get back to you shortly. Your ticket reference number is: 953645

This is exactly what I never want to spend time on. I'll give it several more hours. Who knows, this might be a good day to burn pine needles and toss a few more items on the pile................

good luck monte.  i put in a call to my trusty IT bud, and he recommended the samsung 8" .... but have not pulled trigger on any gps sofware....

Oregon

#23 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,013 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 November 2023 - 10:48 PM

The latest. As I mentioned, I decided to give Gaia a good try. Since there were battery issues with with our older Samsung tablet (with an older Android OS), we bought a new 8" tablet and I've put the time in setting up and getting it operational as a replacement.

And then I ran into a problem getting the Gaia GPS app to sync with the web. And then, we all know the drill, countless hours down a rabbit hole; an endless time sink to try to resolve the issue. I've read every article the "Gaia Help" points to. In regards to "Gaia Help" I found this on a Gaia Help forum from 10 months ago -

"For those wondering where "support" is beyond the new chatbot that simply points to support articles, the last trace of Gaia staff participating in these forums that I can find is 7 months ago (July?) in this article:

https://help.gaiagps...Download-on-IOS

Anyone see anything more recent?

Folks keep asking where help is but it seems to have been cut. It's likely a new policy resulting from the extensive cost cutting measures implemented by the CEO (possibly to support their critical metaverse initiative. ahem.). Anyway, it's up to members now since it seems to, sadly, be a skeleton crew left which is too bad as in the old days, this forum was very active with helpful, friendly Gaia staff helping users out but again, they likely cannot do so anymore."

I put in a support request to Gaia. Their response thus far -

Hey there,

Thank you for contacting Gaia GPS Support.

We have received your email and will get back to you shortly. Your ticket reference number is: 953645

This is exactly what I never want to spend time on. I'll give it several more hours. Who knows, this might be a good day to burn pine needles and toss a few more items on the pile................

I put in several more hours. I believe I may have figured out the issue and the app finally synced with the web after hours and hours. I then downloaded maps packages that cover all of California and Nevada - hours, but I was expecting that. Julie and I went out on local USFS backcountry roads today. All went well with good practice using Gaia.

Now, here at home, it only takes a few seconds to sync the app at start up.

As you can tell, I'm happier.

The new Android tablet is an 8" Samsung Active 3. Specs say it will take rugged use, the battery is replaceable (you can carry spares). When plugged in the power can be set to directly power the unit and bypass the battery. It has a decent processor, 128GB of internal memory and it can run a micro sd card up to 1 TB. I have a 512 GB installed.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#24 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 November 2023 - 02:01 AM

Congratulations on a good outcome through a fraught process. I hope it serves you well for years to come!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users