• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Anyone ever install an awning over the back door of their pop up? I was doing some work in our 1999 Phoenix yesterday in a drizzle, and was thinking about how nice this would be as I stepped out to a steady drip onto my head.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

See here:

http://www.wanderthe...__fromsearch__1

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:22 AM

DurangoSteve:

Yes, I have thought a lot about this too.

Right now, I have a nice nylon tarp that I have adapter to this use. It has loops of rope on the corners and I just unfold and loop it over my Yakima racks up on roof. The racks usually are toward the back and I often put a canoe/kayak on it while loading to prevent damaging the roof. The loops hook over the ends of the rack.

I have extendable poles that hold up the rear of the tarp. Guy to needs. Presto, nice, cheap, small and compact rear awning. Not easy to set up, just a few minutes, but works when parked.

If I have the time, I would love to source out some parts for an easy to deploy, light and compact awning that I could deploy in seconds and use often. Rains a lot of Seattle way!! May get one of those Truck'n Awn units and modify to fit. They are kind of big, but already set up nicely.

Let me know what you find, would love to hear about and see it!

Dave in Seattle

#4 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Sunman & Davinski!

I've installed 3 eyebolts thru the top of the wall on the passenger side of our camper to hang an 8x10 tarp from for a "poor man's" awning. There will be some dripping along the edge of the camper as the tarp won't be absolutely snug against the siding, which isn't a big deal... but I'm trying to eliminate that on the back side "awning" project. I'm (currently) leaning toward installing eyebolts thru the roof and doing a tarp-n-tent pole thing off the back like I did on the side.

#5 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Cool ideas, I use a tarp with 2 hooks secured to the roof and a couple ropes out to tree branches, downfall is that there has to be trees around for it to work.

I like the bag awning idea.
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#6 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationwa state

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:47 AM

I have my awning on back of camper, its a bag awning where everything is contained in a bag when not using the awning. It just slides into a track I have fastned at the rear, and ready to go, unzip bag roll out awning, insert poles and your good to go, I also have a set of long bungees I run to bumper of truck for wind protection.

Love the set up lets me keep camper door open when its raining, gives me shade in the sun, we seem to be at back of camper more than side, and if a person wanted to, could install another track on side and move it to the side.
Ben 96 f350 4x4 86 keystone

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

here are some sample pictures I have saved

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg
  • F-150 (Babine Lake, BC).jpg
  • AWNING (REAR 33).jpg
  • awning (rear) 2.jpg
  • awning (rear).jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:56 AM

Very cool ideas, Stan. Thanks! I've found some good awning hardware sources, but haven't yet found a handy means of connecting poles to the jacks. Anyone have any thoughts?

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:09 AM

Try this.

http://www.wanderthe...__fromsearch__1

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#10 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Lots of great ideas from more experienced folks - thanks!

I bought some aluminum awning rail from our local RV dealer and two 3 ft lengths of 1/4 aluminum rod. I then took a 6x8 nylon tarp we had, popped out the middle grommet on the short side and slipped the rods into the stitched pocket along the edge, using some duct tape (of course!) to join the two rods and make an inch-long "hinge" so I could fold the tarp in half and roll it up for storage. I also duct taped the outside ends of the rod so they wouldn't puncture the nylon. OK plan, but the awning rail edges are pretty sharp, and I've already torn the tarp slightly inserting it into the rail. I'm going to order some rope tape and have my wife sew it to the tarp. Much better solution. http://www.sailrite....c=2&category=51

For the poles I used some 1.25" pvc pipe I had with some "T" slip joints. This stuff is used for PVC pipe greenhouse construction. On the two ends I drilled holes and ran pieces of threaded rod to attach to the tarp grommets. In the middle I made a short pvc pipe "riser" with a bolt installed to make a "ridge" in the tarp.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_2556.jpg
  • DSC_2559.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users