22 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

A furnace would be optimal, but for less than half to a third of the price for a furnace it will get the job done...

I'm not so sure anymore. Is forced air really necessary in such a small space? My furnace fan squeaks and has occasionally even kept me up at night. I took the cover off and couldn't see an easy way to access the fan.

Your setup looks good Sunman. I'll be interested to hear how effective it is on those very cold nights. I suspect it will be more than adequate. The only thing about this setup that would cause me some worry is the lack of external venting.

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

Nice job.

I was eying up a wave 3 on sale for $100 at the end of last winter season but I decided to wait and see how this winter works out for the stock heater. I now have a large amount of battery capacity and I plan to insulate the bottom of the camper this winter and potentially make up an artic pac as well. Time will tell this spring I guess on how well it heats and how often its running.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 homemade

homemade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Correct, radiant, no fan.
A furnace would be optimal, but for less than half to a third of the price for a furnace it will get the job done...
(I hope Posted Image ).
Also it is easily removable during the warmer months and i won't lose my outside tool storage Posted Image Space as always is a premium. Time will tell how well the sucker works.

Any updates or info on the Wave 3 (or 6) would be appreciated. After camping at the south rim of the Grand Canyon last spring in cold/snow(my son and I were backpacking in the Canyon, wife was in camper)I'm getting the picture that there will be no more cold weather camping without a heater that can be left on at when sleeping. My wife used Coleman Cat heater which worked OK I'm told but she turned it off when sleeping. Is the Wave 3 enough for near freezing or freezing temp to keep reasonably warm like in ~60deg? Is the heat setting continuously adjustable or only two settings? Is there a manufacturer's disclaimer to not use when sleeping? I found forced air heaters (Atwood/Suburban) on Ebay for <$400 but Amazon has the Wave 3 for ~$200 and the 6 for ~$260. It looks like the Wave would be an easier install, I was planning to mount the propane outside on the back wall of the camper and the Wave on an inside back wall with quick connect line so it could be detached and moved if needed.

Thanks for any info.

#14 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

Any updates or info on the Wave 3 (or 6) would be appreciated. After camping at the south rim of the Grand Canyon last spring in cold/snow(my son and I were backpacking in the Canyon, wife was in camper)I'm getting the picture that there will be no more cold weather camping without a heater that can be left on at when sleeping. My wife used Coleman Cat heater which worked OK I'm told but she turned it off when sleeping. Is the Wave 3 enough for near freezing or freezing temp to keep reasonably warm like in ~60deg? Is the heat setting continuously adjustable or only two settings? Is there a manufacturer's disclaimer to not use when sleeping? I found forced air heaters (Atwood/Suburban) on Ebay for <$400 but Amazon has the Wave 3 for ~$200 and the 6 for ~$260. It looks like the Wave would be an easier install, I was planning to mount the propane outside on the back wall of the camper and the Wave on an inside back wall with quick connect line so it could be detached and moved if needed.

Thanks for any info.

Homemade,
I have only tried my Wave 3 out once since my install, temps were only into the mid 30's and I had several of the upper windows cracked quite a bit and the roof vent open pretty wide too and it was almost too warm with just my bag laying over me. Still haven't put it through a true cold test but from what I gather it will work just fine. See LQHikers post above as they have been in sub-zero temps with theirs. Maybe he can chime in on his other experiences.

IMHO a Wave 6 would be WAY too much for one of these campers. There are only two heat settings...low (1600 BTU's) & high (2800 BTU's). Low seems to put out plenty of heat for sleeping. There is no disclaimer about sleeping with these, it only says that a 1" fresh air opening per every 1000 BTU's should be provided (one low and one high perferably). The Wave install was very simple, I was planning on using a quick disconnect but it is so simple to unscrew with a wrench i decided against it. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#15 homemade

homemade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:02 AM

Homemade,
I have only tried my Wave 3 out once since my install, temps were only into the mid 30's and I had several of the upper windows cracked quite a bit and the roof vent open pretty wide too and it was almost too warm with just my bag laying over me. Still haven't put it through a true cold test but from what I gather it will work just fine. See LQHikers post above as they have been in sub-zero temps with theirs. Maybe he can chime in on his other experiences.

IMHO a Wave 6 would be WAY too much for one of these campers. There are only two heat settings...low (1600 BTU's) & high (2800 BTU's). Low seems to put out plenty of heat for sleeping. There is no disclaimer about sleeping with these, it only says that a 1" fresh air opening per every 1000 BTU's should be provided (one low and one high perferably). The Wave install was very simple, I was planning on using a quick disconnect but it is so simple to unscrew with a wrench i decided against it. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Thank you SunMan,

Just the info I was looking for. Much appreciated.

#16 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:54 AM

I had both and I liked both.

In the Fleet we had there was a Olympian catalytic heater, a much older unit then what they sell now. It was trial and error as to when and at what temperature to use it. Mine I had it in the storage under the sink. I had a hanger system so I just had to take it out and hang it on the cabinet face.

There were nights that I had to get up and turn it off because the heat was too much. First clue was laying with no covers sweating. With windows and vent cracked open there is plenty of combustible air to feed the heater. We had camped many cold nights as far low as -20 degrees f. and the heater was great.

When we got the Ranger model had the forced heater installed. It also worked fine. No set up. Instant heat when you need it. Runs on thermostat and can maintain a even temperature.

There are pros and cons for both system, why not get them both….just kidding.

Olympian catalytic heater:

No battery to drain.

Quiet

Can delivery lots of heat for a long time.

You have to wait a while for it to kick out that heat (but when it does)

When it is on, it is on, no thermostat to run it at a given temperature.

Forced air heater:

Turn it on you got heat.

Runs off of a thermostat to maintain temperature.

More things to go wrong and break down.

Drains battery.

Noisy

Drains battery.

Noisy

Drains battery.

Noisy

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

Pat,
I had one too and unlike your's it was noisy and drained the battery.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 homemade

homemade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:58 AM

I had both and I liked both.

In the Fleet we had there was a Olympian catalytic heater, a much older unit then what they sell now. It was trial and error as to when and at what temperature to use it. Mine I had it in the storage under the sink. I had a hanger system so I just had to take it out and hang it on the cabinet face.

There were nights that I had to get up and turn it off because the heat was too much. First clue was laying with no covers sweating. With windows and vent cracked open there is plenty of combustible air to feed the heater. We had camped many cold nights as far low as -20 degrees f. and the heater was great.

When we got the Ranger model had the forced heater installed. It also worked fine. No set up. Instant heat when you need it. Runs on thermostat and can maintain a even temperature.

There are pros and cons for both system, why not get them both….just kidding.

Olympian catalytic heater:

No battery to drain.

Quiet

Can delivery lots of heat for a long time.

You have to wait a while for it to kick out that heat (but when it does)

When it is on, it is on, no thermostat to run it at a given temperature.

Forced air heater:

Turn it on you got heat.

Runs off of a thermostat to maintain temperature.

More things to go wrong and break down.

Drains battery.

Noisy

Drains battery.

Noisy

Drains battery.

Noisy

Thanks for the insight. Remember, I have the homemade camper so obviously my expectations are pretty modest. Apparently some owners of larger RVs do have both forced air and the Wave, they keep a base temp up with the Wave which reduces the cycling of the forced are furnace so less noise and less propane use, or so they say (I did some internet research). So I bought one, just a few left on Amazon at this time. I plan to install it as soon as I get it and hope to have a warm changing room for the snow parks on Mt Hood this winter. One other thing if anyone has any info - I hope to mount a propane tank to the upper back wall of the camper to the right of the door but I have not been able to find any outside propane tank mounting bracket on the internet including Camping World and a general search.

Thanks again

#19 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

I hope to mount a propane tank to the upper back wall of the camper to the right of the door but I have not been able to find any outside propane tank mounting bracket on the internet including Camping World and a general search.

Homemade, check these links:
SB

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#20 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

I'm thinking of installing a catalytic Wave heater also, even though I have a furnace. Not running down battery is a big plus. I also like the smaller amount of space it uses.

I wouldn't use one with out a CO detector though and hope no one else does either. A few years ago a family in WI died in their camper when their catalytic heater malfunctioned. Can't beat a warm camper getting up on a cold morning.
David Bybee 2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 2004 Tundra DC 1998 Alaskan 10' Cabover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users