Photo
- - - - -

Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Overlander

Overlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIone,CA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

Hey fellas, Looking for a general concencus on the best full size P/U for off road.
Im planning a FWC (or the like) and using it mostly in the west with my small family in: DV, Canyonlands , Baja ect......
It will double as the work truck and Im kinda set on the double cab models.
Range is a big concern and so is comfort and reliability.
I realize I will need to mod the truck a bit and im ok with that.

I know nada about full size trucks (Landcruiser guy)

Thanks,
ken
80 series Toyota but currently in the market.... 05 Dodge Power Wagon that needs a camper. KI6JEO

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

Hey fellas, Looking for a general concencus on the best full size P/U for off road.
Im planning a FWC (or the like) and using it mostly in the west with my small family in: DV, Canyonlands , Baja ect......
It will double as the work truck and Im kinda set on the double cab models.
Range is a big concern and so is comfort and reliability.
I realize I will need to mod the truck a bit and im ok with that.

I know nada about full size trucks (Landcruiser guy)

Thanks,
ken

Hi Ken..I'll be one of the first to wade in on what i'm sure will be an interesting thread. For a real full size
truck, I'd recommend a Ford or a Dodge. For Gas, The new Power Wagon and new Ford Raptor can't be beat. If you're spending most of your time in the deserts going fast then buy a Raptor, if you're spending most of your time in the mountains then the Power Wagon should be your choice. If you're looking for a diesel, then it's sort of a toss-up between the Dodge and Ford. I'm partial to the Cummins diesel in the Dodge, but there's plenty of folks who like the Power Stroke in the Ford.
Good luck on what ever you decide upon.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:25 AM

Overlander, it's hard to leave the Landcruiser behind for anything. I had a 75 fj40, should have never sold it but at some point you need more space and your kidneys need a rest from the constant beating then enters the full size trucks. If you're going full size I recommend the diesel. The chevy's with mitsubishi duramax's in them are riddled with problems which leaves you with the two afformentioned trucks the dodge with the straight six cummins diesel or the Ford power stroke with the 7.3 liter turbo diesel. The cummins are great and bullet proof but if you like a responsive vehicle you will find the cummins frustrating off the line. It's like driving a tractor, slow steady all torque no top end. For me it drives me nuts. But mechanically speaking they are bullet proof. In the ford if you get an F-25 or F-350 from the mid 90's all the way to the first half of 2003 you can get one with the 7.3 liter engine which are both bullet proof and responsive. The truck jumps off the line and with a little adjustment and a boost gage the truck flies and can pull a house off it's foundation which is a vehicular combo not to be missed. You have to stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford Powerstrokes starting mid 2003 and beyond. The reason the 7.3 liter diesel is bulletproof and the best ford ever made is because it wasn't made by Ford, it was made by International Harvester and was time tested in combines and other farming equipment for years before it ended up in ford trucks. The 6.4 and 6.0 liter engines in the later models are still International Harvester engines but, due to emissions standards they swapped out the International Harvester Engine Management system (EMS), the computer with a Ford EMS that was more restrictive. The engine and the EMS never spoke to each other correctly and caused no end of troubles. When you start shopping for these trucks you'll find a 2004 with low miles selling for less than a 1999 with high miles and that is because the 1999 has the 7.3 liter IH engine with the IH EMS which can't be beat for longevity. These trucks will go 300k easily. If you are considering a straight veggie oil conversion ever, both the 7.3 liter Ford and the Dodge cummins are great candidates for conversion. The cummins, due to its simpler design actually pulls ahead a bit in terms of a veggie oil conversion candidate. On the re-sale market you will barely be able to tell a difference in price between the F-250 3/4 ton and the F-350 1 ton so I say go for the 1 ton if you can find it. The engine, transmission and Transfer case are all the same the only difference is the axles and although our campers are light you might as well have more truck than you need so you can have the truck with the camper on it and tow an FJ-40 for some desert fun.

Just my 2 cents, although due to the length of my post it was probably more like a dollars worth of advice :-)

Rich

P.S. - FWIW I intend to take my own advice. By summer I hope to have sold my T-100 and have an F-350 diesel with a 7.3 liter engine under my FWC fleet camper. Then the next step will be to install the veggie oil conversion!
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#4 jon

jon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:08 AM

Overlander, it's hard to leave the Landcruiser behind for anything. I had a 75 fj40, should have never sold it but at some point you need more space and your kidneys need a rest from the constant beating then enters the full size trucks. If you're going full size I recommend the diesel. The chevy's with mitsubishi duramax's in them are riddled with problems which leaves you with the two afformentioned trucks the dodge with the straight six cummins diesel or the Ford power stroke with the 7.3 liter turbo diesel. The cummins are great and bullet proof but if you like a responsive vehicle you will find the cummins frustrating off the line. It's like driving a tractor, slow steady all torque no top end. For me it drives me nuts. But mechanically speaking they are bullet proof. In the ford if you get an F-25 or F-350 from the mid 90's all the way to the first half of 2003 you can get one with the 7.3 liter engine which are both bullet proof and responsive. The truck jumps off the line and with a little adjustment and a boost gage the truck flies and can pull a house off it's foundation which is a vehicular combo not to be missed. You have to stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4 liter Ford Powerstrokes starting mid 2003 and beyond. The reason the 7.3 liter diesel is bulletproof and the best ford ever made is because it wasn't made by Ford, it was made by International Harvester and was time tested in combines and other farming equipment for years before it ended up in ford trucks. The 6.4 and 6.0 liter engines in the later models are still International Harvester engines but, due to emissions standards they swapped out the International Harvester Engine Management system (EMS), the computer with a Ford EMS that was more restrictive. The engine and the EMS never spoke to each other correctly and caused no end of troubles. When you start shopping for these trucks you'll find a 2004 with low miles selling for less than a 1999 with high miles and that is because the 1999 has the 7.3 liter IH engine with the IH EMS which can't be beat for longevity. These trucks will go 300k easily. If you are considering a straight veggie oil conversion ever, both the 7.3 liter Ford and the Dodge cummins are great candidates for conversion. The cummins, due to its simpler design actually pulls ahead a bit in terms of a veggie oil conversion candidate. On the re-sale market you will barely be able to tell a difference in price between the F-250 3/4 ton and the F-350 1 ton so I say go for the 1 ton if you can find it. The engine, transmission and Transfer case are all the same the only difference is the axles and although our campers are light you might as well have more truck than you need so you can have the truck with the camper on it and tow an FJ-40 for some desert fun.

Just my 2 cents, although due to the length of my post it was probably more like a dollars worth of advice :-)

Rich

P.S. - FWIW I intend to take my own advice. By summer I hope to have sold my T-100 and have an F-350 diesel with a 7.3 liter engine under my FWC fleet camper. Then the next step will be to install the veggie oil conversion!

FYI. The 6.0 and 6.4 litre were both made by Navistar, and as far as realibilty goes on the 7.3, can you explain why I broke 2 rocker arms at 52000 mi. The autos in the fords from 99- 04 are good for maybe 80000mi if you don't tow anything and about 35000mi. if you do. The 6.7 litre Ford will be the first diesel actually made by the same company as the truck it goes in, it will be by far the most hi tech. motor to go into a pickup. Ford and Navistar are involved in several mulit million dollar lawsuits. EAT CRAB

#5 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:04 AM

FYI. The 6.0 and 6.4 litre were both made by Navistar, and as far as realibilty goes on the 7.3, can you explain why I broke 2 rocker arms at 52000 mi. The autos in the fords from 99- 04 are good for maybe 80000mi if you don't tow anything and about 35000mi. if you do. The 6.7 litre Ford will be the first diesel actually made by the same company as the truck it goes in, it will be by far the most hi tech. motor to go into a pickup. Ford and Navistar are involved in several mulit million dollar lawsuits. EAT CRAB

I dunno, could it be the modifications you made to your truck?
https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/915/page__hl__tow%20missle__fromsearch__1

All that bolt on power without addressing the top or bottom ends of the engine sounds like a recipe for distress. I am surprised the engine quit before the transmission.

I don't mean any disrespect. However, I am sometimes surprised by what people expect out of their stock equipment.

#6 Bat

Bat

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:05 AM

I think Dodge and Ford have there moments but the 6.0 tends to bagged on to much. I think the later 6.0 are just fine as long as service records are in order. The 7.3 are great but like mentioned my friend just replaced his tranny with 90k on it. The Raptor is a great truck but I think putting a FWC on his back is going to take away its purpose. Good luck in the search and proper service records will always bring out the best.

#7 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

I was pretty ignorant about bigger trucks but after some reading bought a 1999 7.3L and have been very happy. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I found one with 111,000 on it last Spring and now 9 months later I have added 28,000 more. A Diesel Performance chip really enhanced the power without any issues, plus a bigger/better air filter, a 2" front lift/leveling, some nice Firestone E rated 285's and I have a strong machine that saved me about $30,000 over new :D Of course it is not new but I imagine I will get many more miles out of it. If you were to buy a 99 try to get one of the 99 1/2's, did a few upgrades although I am happy with my early 99.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

To quote a great WTW Sage.

"Why don't you just discuss something less controversial like immigration or gay marriage"

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 Overlander

Overlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIone,CA

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

To quote a great WTW Sage.

"Why don't you just discuss something less controversial like immigration or gay marriage"

Don't really much care for that conversation plus I have a current need to acquire information about trucks in the trucks section.

Thanks guys great info, PLEASE keep it coming.

ken
80 series Toyota but currently in the market.... 05 Dodge Power Wagon that needs a camper. KI6JEO

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

See what I mean about offending. Help me here Salty.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users