Photo
- - - - -

Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#141 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Either one of these would suit me nicely.

attachicon.gif1954-power-wagon.jpg

Power wagons were made into the 70's for export. Saw one at the Half Moon Bay Dream Machine show.

Legacy Power Wagons do rebuilds, just don't look at the price.

#142 locrwln

locrwln

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

The "best" is what ever truck works for you.  I know Ken made is decision many years ago and has gotten a lot of use out of it.  I used to have this:

Alaska%202010%20038-L.jpg

It was a '02 F350 PSD, 6spd manual that I bought new.  The above combo traveled from Prudoe Bay, Alaska to the tip of Baja, Mexico and most every state west of the Mississippi.  To include some exploring in Death Valley:

DV%20May%202011%20007-L.jpg

Then I bought this:

Mendel%20Pass%2002_13%20008-L.jpg

It's a 2007 LBZ "Classic" 2500HD Duramax/Allison combo.  I had both trucks at the same time and both were completely stock.  Guess which one I still have??  It was the Chevy. 

Somewhere off of the "Hole in the Rock" trail in Utah when it was stock except for the FWC.

Zion%2C%20Bryce%2C%20Hole%20in%20the%20R

I am running 285/75R17 Nitto's, I have both a steel bumper and 12k winch on the front with a Eaton E-Locker installed in the front. I have upgraded the steering, but the truck has 117k miles and still has the stock front ball joints and CV joints. It has been all over the backcountry of Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming and California to include numerous trips to Death Valley with a whole lot off washboard roads.

I recently added:

Chevy%20mods%20006-L.jpg

The Chevy was just so much more comfortable and there are numerous examples of the LBZ platform going over 500k with the stock motor/tranny still going strong, some in the 750k and a few with over 1 million miles.

My build thread: http://www.expeditio...007-Chevy-Build

Jack

Edited by locrwln, 12 January 2014 - 08:16 PM.

2007 Chevy 2500HD Max/Ali combo 2008 FWC Hawk Shell

My build thread:  http://www.expeditio...007-Chevy-Build

#143 Freelheeler

Freelheeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGardiner, MT

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Glad to see folks weighing in... I kicked this discussion back up due to my situation, so thanks for commenting.

I'm seriously leaning toward  a dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 short bed hemi 6 speed manual with the off road package including skid plates and limited slip.  I like the idea of a power wagon but just can afford the mpg this should be a good compromise.  Once purchased I will be looking to install a hawk or even grandby and the tundra and ranger II will be going up forsale.

I also agree it all comes down to personal need or want...

#144 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

I think that an electric truck should still have a low range option. I know in theory that an electric motor at zero RPM has infinite torque. I also know that they can get really hot when running at that low of a shaft speed. A low range option would let the motor spin fast enough that it's current demand would be significantly reduced. I'd do it with a planetary gear set so that the high range losses incurred were very minimal.

I think that the manual option has faded because of market research. Too many people want an auto. And the manual can present some emissions related challenges.

The right converter is HUGE towards trans heat. When we bought our '96 CTD its trans had recently been rebuilt, but I think that the rebuilder must have gotten a gasser converter because there were times when I went into low range just to take the load off the trans and allow it to cool down. Prior to the single engine mod that I ever expect to make to that truck (a TST 250HP/600ft-lbs fuel cam) I had a diesel-specific valve body and converter installed. That was a dramatic difference in trans temps! The same spots at the same time of year no longer need low range. It is now pretty rare for the fluid in the pan to get over 180°F.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#145 RichP

RichP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:29 PM

John I couldn't have put it any better.  Thank the Lord some one finally has the courage to post this opinion on ANY forum on ANY site. 

To me there is nothing more useless than a short bed p/u.  Good God if you want a grocery hauler that will carry a little cargo buy a Honda Ridgeline. 

I saw a post on this site today where the OP had posted a pic of an 8' pop up on his GM 1500 crew cab [which means it is heavier than a standard cab 8' bed with less carrying capacity] short bed.  Claimed he'd beefed up the suspension so not to worry.  Did he beef up the brakes, axles, tires, wheels, etc?

I can't imagine spending tens of thousands of dollars on a 3/4-1 ton truck without a long bed.  My standard cab long bed  Dodge CTD has always had plenty of room in the cab for me.

I know I'll take heat for this [particularly as It's my first post] but it's an opinion I've had for years.

RichP

#146 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

Your remarks, although a valid and worthwhile opinion, seem a bit narrow minded.   I've owned both long and short bed pickups, and prefer the short bed trucks for many reasons, in town and on the goat-trails.   It's been very useful for me, and the best feature of all is that I can fit it into our (non custom) garage in a ranch style suburban home.  One man's trash is another man's treasure descrobes this discussion best...

I downsized for many reasons, this being one.

gallery_2969_423_722089.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users