Photo
- - - - -

Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#11 jon

jon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Don't really much care for that conversation plus I have a current need to acquire information about trucks in the trucks section.

Thanks guys great info, PLEASE keep it coming.

ken

Ken, we're doing the best we can to provide you with the information that you apperantly can't find on your own. By the two posts you have made I assume you haven't been around here too long. It might be a good idea to get a feel for the place before you start trying to run the show. If quotes like that bother you, I'm probably going to drive you nuts.

#12 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:04 PM

And so it begins.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

The thing about diesels being slow is a throwback to days long gone. http://dakartruck.com/

You want tire burning power out a diesel? Not hard to do. Happy with mine stock. I can still pass people going uphill.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

I'm going to assume that you are going to buy new. I would recommend a gasoline powered 3/4 ton or better. If you buy a 1/2 ton you will be going straight to suspension mods. Dodge, Ford and Chevy all make good trucks. Since you will be spending a lot of time driving from one scenic wonder to another, the interior should be comfortable and suit your personal ergonomics. In other words, get the interior you like best.
Why get a gas powered truck? Well, right now the diesels are going through a smog adjustment much like the trucks from the '70s. Hopefully in a few years the technology will be improved along with the reliability. Plus the gas powered trucks are getting close to the the diesels in mileage so the main advantage is not there. Not to mention a $6K or better premium for the the diesels.
4X4? Yes! I have a 4X4 and I hardly ever use the 4X4 option. The reason I spent the extra money on it is I once had a 2X4 and got stuck on a wet rock. I said never again. To me the extra cost and maintenance is worth it.
If I had to buy a new truck today I most likely would get a 2010 Ram 3500. Single rear wheel, 4X4 short bed Hemi. Why Ram? I like the looks, no other reason.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike

#15 lostnot

lostnot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTraveler

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

I'll play. Cummins less moving parts. Earlier trucks had problems with the automatics. Ford has much more heavy duty frames. Chevys are comfy.

#16 Overlander

Overlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIone,CA

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:03 AM

I'm going to assume that you are going to buy new. I would recommend a gasoline powered 3/4 ton or better. If you buy a 1/2 ton you will be going straight to suspension mods. Dodge, Ford and Chevy all make good trucks. Since you will be spending a lot of time driving from one scenic wonder to another, the interior should be comfortable and suit your personal ergonomics. In other words, get the interior you like best.
Why get a gas powered truck? Well, right now the diesels are going through a smog adjustment much like the trucks from the '70s. Hopefully in a few years the technology will be improved along with the reliability. Plus the gas powered trucks are getting close the the diesels in mileage so the main advantage is not there. Not to mention a $6K or better premium for the the diesels.
4X4? Yes! I have a 4X4 and I hardly ever use the 4X4 option. The reason I spent the extra money on it is I once had a 2X4 and got stuck on a wet rock. I said never again. To me the extra cost and maintenance is worth it.
If I had to buy a new truck today I most likely would get a 2010 Ram 3500. Single rear wheel, 4X4 short bed Hemi. Why Ram? I like the looks, no other reason.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mike

You brought up a very good point on the diesel power-plants that are currently available stateside are not quite 100% ready. Its a bummer , Im absolutely enamored with a diesel power-plant.
I would love to be able to purchase a new vehicle but not in the cards . Another good point on the interior , in my very short time looking @ trucks I have discovered there are some really bad interiors out there and I hate to admit it but that means quite a bit to me.

Hummmm........

I'll play. Cummins less moving parts. Earlier trucks had problems with the automatics. Ford has much more heavy duty frames. Chevys are comfy.

More Hummm...

THANKS!
ken
80 series Toyota but currently in the market.... 05 Dodge Power Wagon that needs a camper. KI6JEO

#17 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

Chnlisle, you are right and you have a sense of humor.

Anyway, Overlander, if you want a work truck, don't forget to get an 8 foot bed.

John D

#18 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Most everything is a compromise right :D The long bed (which I have) and a crew can make for heck of a long truck if you plans include using it to run errands around town.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#19 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

OK I'll give my two cents being one of the rare ones that actually has and likes the 6.0 PSD around here.
My rig is a 07 F350 std cab 6.0 PSD 4x4 with 3:73 LS's front and back. I carry a ATC Cougar full time which is always loaded and ready to go. The only mods I've done are to raise the front end about 3" with a donahoe/Icon kit and added a winch bumper. With this set up it is quite capable in basically stock form and consistently gets 12 mph city and 14-17 hwy. I have 45,000 on the clock and not a single issue. Reg sched. maint. is critical to the 6.0 . This rig is never babied and is also my daily driver which has power to spare. You leave these trucks stock and they are very reliable. Most issues were with the early ones, 03-05 where issues arose when individuals were running programers/chips and running too much hp for the stock heads/gaskets to handle, as well as contributing to egr related prblms. There are alot of choices out there. It all comes downn to personal choices and needs. I've always been partial to Ford and Toyota but thats just me. Do your homework and you will come up with what best suites your paticular needs.
Thus far Ive been real happy. B)

Attached Thumbnails

• 4x4.jpg

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:04 AM

This is as good a place as any to discuss the 6 1/2 foot bed vs. the 8 foot bed.

At the present time the country is covered up with 6 1/2 foot bed trucks. Before the recession, a lot of people were buying trucks as all purpose transportation vehicles. Such trucks really belong to the Sport Utility Vehicles class. Those of us who understand the legacy of the so called "work truck" tend to cringe every time we hear people calling anything with a 6 1/2 foot or less a "truck".

True pickup trucks are descended from vehicles that actually do work or fight wars. These modern short bed trucks are toys. A work truck must have a bed which allows a full sheet of plywood or other 8 foot long building materials to be carried flat with the tailgate closed.

The extended cab trucks with an 8 foot bed are indeed long. However, these trucks are one step heavier than the old fashion half ton pickup. Most of them are at least 3/4 ton trucks because the extended cab tends to use up too much GVW load carrying capacity. A 1/2 ton truck with a 4 doors and 6 seats has a rather limited hauling capacity. A half ton truck with a full 8 foot bed has a more useful net load capacity when equipped with a standard cab. It is actually quite difficult to find an extended cab half ton truck with an 8 foot bed. I don't know if one can even be special ordered. They don't make a whole lot of sense because they end up with something like a 700 pound net load capacity.

I have a friend who owns a landscaping business who bought a standard cab truck with a 6 1/2 foot bed. He was not thinking when he took advantage of a sale price on a short bed truck. Now he has to ride with shovel handles and other items sticking out over his tailgate. He made a mistake and regrets buying this truck because it is not designed for work. He will be getting rid of it as soon as he pays the stupid thing off.

If you like the short bed truck ... fine. If you want to use your truck for work, be sure to at least understand what 8 foot bed models all about ... if you can find one for sale. Eight foot bed models are worth more money. They can be more easily used to make money. Beware of making the same mistake my buddy did as he tries to use his little short bed truck for real work.

John D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users