#1 bdold

bdold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:47 AM

Can someone explain what the Kestrel model is?

2003 Dodge CTD- 2010 Grandby

2011 GSP, turbo charged hunting machine

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

A hawk built to fit the Toyota tundra. Edit: fit it better, I forget the exact on whether they adjust the cab over height or if its in the side wall height but that should get you in the right direction.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#3 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

The Kestrel Model is the Hawk Model is all ways, shape, and form.

The Kestrel Model is just what we call it here (for the most part) when we are building a Hawk Model for an older Access Cab Tundra.

Unless you have a 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab truck, ther would be no need for the Kestrel Model.

We generally build the Hawk Model to fit all of the short bed trucks on the market (Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan Titan, etc.).

The Dodge, Ford, Chevy, & Double Cab Tundra trucks have a bed depth of approx. 20” (20” deep from the floor of truck bed to the edge of the bed rails on the truck), and some even deeper.

The 2000 – 2006 Toyota Tundra Access cab trucks are sort of an odd ball truck in the fact that it has a shallower truck bed – approx. 17” deep from the floor of truck bed to the edge of the bed rails on the truck.

If we put the regular built Hawk Model on the Access Cab Tundra, the camper will look like it is sitting a little tall on the truck.

(there will be a large gap between the edge of the camper and the bed rails of the truck, and the cab-over on the camper will be sitting taller over the top of your truck cab).

Some of the newer trucks coming out in the past few years are all a bit different, so we need to adjust some of the campers accordingly to better fit. There is no extra charge for this. It is just something we want to do here at the factory so the campers look the best. We really want the campers to be light weight, low profile, and durable.

See attached pics.

Just let us know if you have any other questions.

We would be gald to help.

Happy Camping !

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#4 bdold

bdold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

Ok.
I was a bit confused as, I've seen it named on the website but, not really under products.

I have an 03 Dodge 2500 and I think the Grandby is for me. I saw a listing for a used one that Said Grandby(kestrel) so, I'm sure sure the person knows what they have.

I plan to see you at the show this weekend and take up a lot of your time. So much of your time...I'm already feeling bad about it.

Thanks,
Bryan

2003 Dodge CTD- 2010 Grandby

2011 GSP, turbo charged hunting machine

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

Rather than start a new thread regarding Hawk/Kestrel differences, I thought I would revive this one.  Note that there is a similar one here: <LINK>

My questions are :

1) Given the 3" difference in side wall height, how does this impact the interior cabinet sizes/storage space?

2) Is the cloth top 3" taller to give the same overall inside standing height?

3) Is the rear door 3" shorter on the Kestrel, meaning that in/egress will involve that much more bending?

4) Does the Kestrel come with both short and extended cab-over lengths?

5) What is the thickness of the cabover section when folded up... 8" or 10"?  Or both depending on the year made?

Can't think of anything else to ask right now, but if you have owned both a Kestrel and a Hawk (BillHarr?), it would be good to hear from you here.

Thanks!

#6 singlefin

singlefin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:58 PM

My 06' Kestrel is 18' side wall size as best fits gen one Tundra. My Truck is a gen two Tundra with 22.2 side rails. Therefore had to fit a 5" platform to raise the camper to 3/4" above cap rails. Door height seems same as std Hawk interior as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The Western city of

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

Here is Stan's response to an email I sent him

Hello Vic

Thanks for the e-mail.

Yes to all of your questions regarding the Kestrel Model.

Floor pack is 3" shallower -- make the camper a better fit on the 2000 - 2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab.

Rear camper doors is just a little shorter on some models.

Side walls of the campers are the same.  The only difference would be the camper base depth.

Pop-up material and pop-up height is the same.

Inside height is probably 6' 3" --  instead of 6' 6" like a Hawk.

You lose a few inches of floor storage space on the Kestrel.

Hope this helps.

Stan Kennedy

Four Wheel Campers

109 Pioneer Avenue

Woodland, CA 95776

1-800-242-1442  or  530-666-1442

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com

stan@fourwh.com

#8 singlefin

singlefin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:53 PM

Additionally, bottom of cab section of camper to top of Tundra is 5 1/2", folding pop up top is 10".

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The Western city of

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

Additionally, bottom of cab section of camper to top of Tundra is 5 1/2", folding pop up top is 10".

- On the Kestrel?  How does this compare to the Hawk?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users