• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

well I went and looked at it today, pretty trashed, soaked and actually had crap in it.. literally..

Still, they want $230 and it has a heater, water containment, sink, doors, windows, etc. Could be a project. So... first off "dibs"

Front over the cab is bent down, inside is trashed, etc. I have a dodge dakota and it looks kind of heavy but I'll give it a shot. I figure if I clean it up worst case I sell it for what I bought it for..

I'm all for projects.

But if that camper sounds as bad as you describe, you will have a project on your hands.

And the old Hawk Models are NOT going to fit on a Dodge Dakota.

The old Hawk camper will be much too wide to fit on the Dakota without a complete rebuild to the camper base.

I would keep my eye out for an older "Fleet" or a "Ranger II" model.

At least that way you will have an easier project that might have fun rewards.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#12 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Someone had already modified it to fit the ranger, considering it's wood frame making it work doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Anyhow, I got it and it is here now. It is actually fairly sound other than the one side bent down. I'll see what I can do. Definitely need the new pop up upholstery and the rest I think I can handle. I gotta go back to the pnp and get the helper springs off of the ranger that it was on still.

I don't have time and I don't have money, somehow it is easier to make time though so I got a builder.. (licensed civil engineer and skilled fabricator, trades anyone?)

Maybe I will come across another better deal, in the meantime I will clean this one up and so far I have $200 into it and it has a furnace, sink, stove, windows, door, etc. All that is worth more than $200 even if I have to make this thing from scratch. Done a bit of eBay hunting and found more modern windows, stove/sink combo etc. First step is to simply strip it and see if the core is salvageable and if it is I will use it as is for this summer :)

Stan - any clue as to the date on this? I like the rounded front corners. Considered just using it as a template and building my own from light gauge steel with sheet insulation, guessing that would be lighter than what it is now. I weld but I have not done any aluminum welding. I could get a spoolgun for my MM210 and still be quite a bit ahead of buying. Don't get me wrong, I would love to buy a new one - it just isn't in the cards..

Attached Thumbnails

• _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00092.jpg

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Someone had already modified it to fit the ranger, considering it's wood frame making it work doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

Just an FYI, older rangers are bigger than modern ones incase you weren't aware. You probably are aware since you were looking in person but did you double check the measurement to make sure it fits your rig? Good luck on your referb.

I like the rounded front corners.

From the pictures they appear to be something someone added aftermarket. My $.02
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#14 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

That is a possibility in which case they might come back off so there isn't so much hanging out the back. Off to go make some measurements.

EDIT: yep, added. I'll take that off, still gonna stick out 8" or so without it on to my tailgate, but that is ok. They used it as sort of a closet. Actually done pretty clean but off it comes, the wall behind looks fine.

A little reworking for my fenders but it doesn't look bad at all. Remove all cabinetry etc and put it on a severe diet, water tight it and use it. Woohoo :)

#15 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:18 AM

Stan - any clue as to the date on this? I like the rounded front corners. Considered just using it as a template and building my own from light gauge steel with sheet insulation, guessing that would be lighter than what it is now. I weld but I have not done any aluminum welding.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

That camper is probably a 1982 - 1986 Model.

Those rounded front corners are a custom / aftermarket thing from what I can tell.

What is the measurement of the camper floor / width of the camper base ?

48" wide ???

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:53 AM

A little reworking for my fenders but it doesn't look bad at all. Remove all cabinetry etc and put it on a severe diet, water tight it and use it. Woohoo :)

If you need to recoat the bottom this is a decent product: Glidden Porch & Floor Interior/Exterior Polyurethane Oil Gloss Floor Paint, 1 Gallon, Light Grey

http://www.homedepot.com/Glidden/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8Z30j/R-100138968/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I sanded and recoated the bottom of my camper with a few coats of that and it appears to be a rather durable finish.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

brandon,for parts the place in sacto is rvdrgeorge.com.tons of used parts.good luck frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:27 AM

brandon,for parts the place in sacto is rvdrgeorge.com.tons of used parts.good luck frank

Thanks B)

Just got it unloaded from the trailer to the garage, somehow the neighbor helping caught his knee on the corner and is off to get stitches! Hope this isn't a sign!!

The Hawk is stored in the "shop."

#19 Brandon

Brandon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:13 AM

sorry for the really bad camera pics but here she is in dry storage..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00093.jpg

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

sorry for the really bad camera pics but here she is in dry storage..

brandon good talking to you yesterday.

if anyone can make this work you sure can.i have known brandon a long time and have seen his projects.what an engineer!keep your eyes peeled for more updates on this project. frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users