• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#11 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:25 AM

after seeing the pictures of the springs on the inside, it just looks better to me. I don't need extra "stuff" on the outside of my camper. According to Leadsled9, it does not take a lot of effort to remove the struts after the top is up. In fact, I am going to try to use my springs (SAFELY!!!) without the little clips that lock them in, since I will be removing them as soon as it is erected. I'll see, and let you know.
Also, the cost is a big factor. Marine grade is very costly, when the inside can be cheaper quality with the protection of the camper.
I promise pictures and a running commentary of this project.
Scott

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:50 AM

Also, the cost is a big factor. Marine grade is very costly, when the inside can be cheaper quality with the protection of the camper.

Just an FYI they looked like they'd run ~$45 so obviously more but not ridiculously prohibitive. Good luck on the project though.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

According to Leadsled9, it does not take a lot of effort to remove the struts after the top is up.
Scott

When the roof is all the way up and locked into place front and rear.....the struts will be at their fully extended position (if the placement of the brackets was correct)....then it is just a matter of lifting the clip slightly and poping the ball out of the socket. I would leave the clips on so the struts don't come off in mid extension....and possibly hit you or cause some other kind of damage. The clips are not any problem to manipulate once the top is up.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#14 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:56 AM

I will remember that when I mount them. And I will use that good advice with the clips

#15 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:27 AM

As Pods8 mentioned earlier, Here's the picture of struts mounted outside.
I plan on doing just that. I don't want to have to bother with them inside.
Marty and the guys over at ATC are doing some research for me and
we hope to come up with something soon. BTW, these struts are cheap and
I'm not going to worry about marine SS struts...so what if they only last
3~4 years rather that 8...easy and cheap to replace.

Attached Thumbnails

• al-frontovercab3.jpg

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#16 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Delta,
That does look good, and after some thought it wouldn't be that expensive to replace when necessary. Like I said, I bought two types of brackets. I may have to rethink my placement.
Thanks for confusing my mind :blink:

#17 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for confusing my mind Posted Image

I still think the inside mounting is the best. There must be some reason that FWC went with inside mounting for the factory installed setups. Maybe you should call Stan or Chicalli at FWC and talk to them....ask them what they recommend. They have a lot of years of expertise...why not leverage it?

One great advantage of the inside mounting is the ease of accessability to the struts. Another would be protection from weather....even though they are fairly cheap to replace....why bother? Another would be esthetics....they just look funky on the outside....the outside lines of the camper are just "cleaner" without the struts.

Let's say you are going camping and have nothing on the roof. Then leave the stock struts in place and be happy. But, if you put some heavy items on the roof...it's an easy task to just pop off the lower weight struts and replace them with higher weight ones...in just a mater of seconds.

Just more food for thought. I know...just what you needed. Ha!

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#18 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

One great advantage of the inside mounting is the ease of accessibility to the struts. Another would be protection from weather....even though they are fairly cheap to replace....why bother? Another would be esthetics....they just look funky on the outside....the outside lines of the camper are just "cleaner" without the struts.

Just more food for thought. I know...just what you needed. Ha!

I guess the reason for different options is everyone thinks differently...

Leadsled9 thinks they look funky on the outside and I think just the opposite. Who wants look at struts and brackets inside??
"Ease of of accessibility"? If they're outside you don't need access them at all, plus you don't have to store them since they don't need to be removed. I'll mount mine outside.. :rolleyes:

More stuff to confuse you.. :blink:

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#19 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

Well looks don't matter to me as much as practicability, and after further thought I too am going to mount mine on the outside. That is what I wanted to do in the first place, but instead I talked myself into putting them on the outside, until Deltarat found that picture.
I had to modify my bracket mounts, easy enough. After I complete the installation, I will take the brackets off and complete them with a little touch up paint. I will take pictures.

#20 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:47 AM

Delta,
That does look good, and after some thought it wouldn't be that expensive to replace when necessary. Like I said, I bought two types of brackets. I may have to rethink my placement.
Thanks for confusing my mind :blink:

To add your confusion, mounting the gas shocks on the inside the way FWC mounts them will aid in raising the rear of the roof if the front is raised first. Doesn’t help as much if you raise the front section first. I don’t think mounting them on the outside front will do anything to help with the rear section as they are too far forward to add to the leverage. FWC installed the 60 pound struts on my Eagle recently and they really work slick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users