• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#261 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:03 AM

I just got my shocks and found the right end mounts on McMaster to fit in the bimini fittings without any milling. I will be using 3x5 or 3x7 tie plates for my internal lifting thingy instal.

I think the whole set up cost me about $70 at most.

Edited by ETAV8R, 28 August 2013 - 01:06 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#262 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

Oh YEAH!

:D

With much help from Overland Hadley and others in this thread my roof lifting helper thingys are installed on the inside of my Finch.

I wasn't able to get pics since I finished after dark. The 50lb struts are perfect for my roof with the Yakima Tracks, nothing else up top yet. The roof lifts up easily and comes down easily. At first I thought the 50lb might be too much but it is perfect.

Within the last few days I thought I had it figured out. Popped it up and then was in a dilemma and didn't have a solution. I really thought with the Finch something was different. Well with some insight from Hadley I popped it up again today and started again looking at lining things up. Well that did it. Got them installed in about 2 hours. Now mine isn't as clean since I used off the shelf 2x5 tie plates but I am more than happy.

The parts:

IMG_2144_zpsa2ae8817.jpg

IMG_2145_zps298ba2a8.jpg

IMG_2146_zpsb904db3d.jpg

Disregard the larger tie plates. I went back to the hardware store and got more of the smaller ones and they worked great. More pics tomorrow.

Parts were purchased from the following:
McMaster-Carr

Struts: 9416K23 Gas Spring with Threaded Ends, 33.94" Extended Length, 16.14" Stroke $22.28

End fittings: Zinc Part#9416K88 $1.62

Bimini Fittings:

http://www.marinepar...ehiwirepin.html

~$7.00 each

2x5 Tie Plates from Lowes, these were about ;0.55 each

Slight update, I don't feel the tie plates are necessary with the fittings.

Small screws-various prices.

I've also found the spring loaded pins on McMaster but not sure which size is needed but wanted to share it for reference.
http://www.mcmaster....s-pins/=13kda5z

Edited by ETAV8R, 05 September 2016 - 02:44 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

#263 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

The solution/finished product
IMG_2159_zpsade7913e.jpg

IMG_2161_zps54455a82.jpg

IMG_2162_zpsedb66c9e.jpg

IMG_2163_zps4ac07ee8.jpg

IMG_2164_zpsfb022806.jpg

IMG_2166_zps37e239d8.jpg

IMG_2167_zps2f076a25.jpg

IMG_2171_zpse7aa453e.jpg

IMG_2170_zpsbcaf4675.jpg

IMG_2174_zps138c37e0.jpg

IMG_2176_zpsc0f2f2da.jpg

IMG_2175_zpse1ef1a05.jpg

IMG_2168_zps81d47ff5.jpg

IMG_2169_zpsc1a0954e.jpg

#264 yajssor

yajssor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

ETAV8R, Thanks for your awesome post, I just ordered all the parts for my eagle and will be following in your tracks!  

A few question:

1.) Could you explain to me how you placed your brackets in the correct position?

2.) Was your roof popped up during the installation?

Thanks for your help!

#265 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

The installation looks great, ETAV8R, but do you find yourself bumping into the struts when walking about the camper or getting in and out of bed?  Just wondered. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#266 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi, Thought this thread had cobwebs since no one commented. Glad the work will hopefully help others in their quest.

ETAV8R, Thanks for your awesome post, I just ordered all the parts for my eagle and will be following in your tracks!  

A few question:

1.) Could you explain to me how you placed your brackets in the correct position?

2.) Was your roof popped up during the installation?

Thanks for your help!

Do you have an arctic pack? I think it actually made it easier due to the sticky glue for the velcro. I shimmied the plate under the velcro on the wall and it helped hold it in the right spot.

1. When I placed the brackets I attached the bimini fittings to the struts and held them up by hand where I wanted them and used a pencil to mark the holes to be used. You may have to drill an extra hole in the tie-plates prior to instal. After you have the plates ready to go hold them up by themselves and mark the holes you will use with a pencil.

2. Yes I had my roof popped during the installation.

The installation looks great, ETAV8R, but do you find yourself bumping into the struts when walking about the camper or getting in and out of bed?  Just wondered. 

That is the glory of the bimini fittings. Once the roof is up the struts are EASILY removed. I just store them behind the couch for the time being. It literally takes less than a minute to remove them. Overland Hadley was my inspiration for this type of installation.

#267 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

That is the glory of the bimini fittings. Once the roof is up the struts are EASILY removed. I just store them behind the couch for the time being. It literally takes less than a minute to remove them. Overland Hadley was my inspiration for this type of installation.

Wow!  I guess I should have looked up "bimini" fittings.  Looks like I'll copying your install, ETAV8R!  Thanks to you and Hadley. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#268 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

The factory installation uses a ball and socket attachments.  The struts have socket ends and the brackets have the ball.  It's nice because the struts can be removed and re-installed very easily without tools other than something to pry the quick release clip back.  Just a suggestion for those looking to do an installation of their own.

#269 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:11 AM

With the bimini fittings there is no need for a tool either. They work great.

#270 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Today I installed the rubber mounts to hold the lifting struts when not in use. They will go under the storage box on the passenger side. It got dark so couldn't get good pics. I will take pics soon.

Edited by ETAV8R, 22 October 2013 - 02:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users