#31 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Jimmythec,
I got them off the web site: suspa.com
If you enlarge the first picture in this post that leadsled9 posted you will see the brand and the model number.
As for all the other whoopla this conversation has started, I am not too conserned. Adding 80 lbs of lift in the rear, and the front wont cause any problems. When you lower it you dont just drop it and let it slam down. At least I dont. I keep upward pressure on it so it lowers gently. That is all the shocks are going to do. Simple. Same with raising it. I just wont have to exert as much energy to raise it. again, simple. That extra 80 pounds of lift sure aren't going to prevent even a top with nothing on it from lowering. Then add surf racks and a solar panel, and you are completely with out problem.
at least all that stuff above in theory. B)

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#32 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

I have been sitting on the sideline watching and listing to this thread. I had FWC install the struts in my Granby and they work great. The cost was a bit high at $277.88 ! But they work great. Thanks Stan. After my back surgery while I was drug induced I saw the post with the struts on the outside front. I wanted to put them on the back. After a lot of time trying to do the math ? engineering I gave up on that SH@*!! And bought the parts for a whopping $28.00 bucks .. I mustered up the strength to go for it . I installed them and they work great. I can lower the back half way down and the struts hold it up no more having it slam down, only once it slammed down and I got my finger caught in it!!. Will I remove the inside struts and put them on the front? They don’t bother me yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3160012.jpg
  • P3160013.jpg
  • P3160014.jpg
  • P3160015.jpg
  • P3160016.jpg
  • P3160017.jpg
  • P3160018.jpg
  • P3160019.jpg
  • P3160020.jpg

1999 Grandby FWC

#33 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:47 AM

thoes look great.did you just screw the brackets into the roof and side frame?i made a roof lifter like les has in his thread,it works nice even with my canoe,but i might think more about the struts.i like the way they go on the outside,even in the front.don't like the idea of crawling around them to get into bed.do they come complete with all the? hardware?once again what is the web site?thanks frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#34 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

thoes look great.did you just screw the brackets into the roof and side frame?i made a roof lifter like les has in his thread,it works nice even with my canoe,but i might think more about the struts.i like the way they go on the outside,even in the front.don't like the idea of crawling around them to get into bed.do they come complete with all the? hardware?once again what is the web site?thanks frank

Hi Frank

I screwed in the roof frame and sealed behind the bracket at the bottom I went in the door frame and sealed it to. (Rain Buster 900 sealer) I did found them on Ebay. the struts are 36" socket to socket 40lbs. The brackets Ebay, 2 bucks each. There are many different brackets to chose from.
1999 Grandby FWC

#35 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

Hi Frank

I screwed in the roof frame and sealed behind the bracket at the bottom I went in the door frame and sealed it to. (Rain Buster 900 sealer) I did found them on Ebay. the struts are 36" socket to socket 40lbs. The brackets Ebay, 2 bucks each. There are many different brackets to chose from.

thanks i have a 09 bobcat,looks very much like your grandby from the rear.i tried the web site but found way too much info.i'll try e-bay.thanks what do you search for on e-bay?frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#36 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

thanks i have a 09 bobcat,looks very much like your grandby from the rear.i tried the web site but found way too much info.i'll try e-bay.thanks what do you search for on e-bay?frank

(Gas Struts) I will look and find what company I got mine from. Here are brackets, FLAT BRACKET 1-1/4" MOUNT FLANGE GAS STRUT PRO ROD. The vendor was R & P Carriages for the struts.
1999 Grandby FWC

#37 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:31 AM

thanks.i'll start searching.what is the roof spacing and the body spacing between the brackets? thanks for all your time and help.frank

#38 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

thanks.i'll start searching.what is the roof spacing and the body spacing between the brackets? thanks for all your time and help.frank

I watched the guys @ FWC install the ones in the front 0n the inside. Then I saw the picture of the truck with them on the outside front. I enlarged that picture and did some uneducated guess work . I marked the center of the FWC door and went out 3" on each side and screwed the brackets on. For the top brackets I popped up the top with the struts attached to the lower brackets with the bracket on the top I held it up until it lined up with the roof frame. I used the flat brackets they just touch the roof drip edge a smidgen. I think it would be better to use the 1/4" offset brackets at the top and bottom. I am going to change mine out. Hope this helps everyone who is thinking of doing this.
1999 Grandby FWC

#39 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

Oh yeah! I like this mod. I just didn't want to be the first...

Thank you very much for the pictures!

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#40 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:14 PM

MXVP,

Thanks for the photos and info. Great modification!

How much extra effort does it take to get the top down flat with nothing extra on the roof? Do you have to pull it down from the inside or push it down from the outside?

Thanks

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users