• Please log in to reply
418 replies to this topic

#391 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 928 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 February 2023 - 03:31 PM

Once you install a rigid solar panel with whatever mounting hardware, the two 40 lb gas struts up front will be just about right. With the solar install I have pair of 40 lb struts on the front and 30 lb struts on the rear.

I second this. Even with a large rigid panel, as long as it’s only one panel, this will be the optimum configuration.

On mine, described above with two 200 watt panels at a total of 53 lbs, it was a tossup between 30# and 40# struts for the rear. The front definitely was better with 40#.

Edited by Jon R, 18 February 2023 - 03:32 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#392 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:56 PM

Many folks that have the lifts notice after a few years the exterior paint on the lifts begins to rust most probably due to salting of roads in winter. One solution that is easy and cheap has been around a long time. Any farmer will tell you linseed oil preserves both wood and metal tools. Lightly sanding to remove loose rust. Moistening a strip clothe in oil then threading it behind the tube and using the motion like buffing a shoe, coat the tube. Wait about 15 minutes and lightly wipe off excess. Once it hardens the oil makes the black tubes look freshly flat painted. Once a year treatment takes just a few minutes. this of course should be done with the roof down to decrease chance of getting any oil on the vinyl soft top. Linseed oil is rape seed oil. Best stuff to have for many projects. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#393 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 09 August 2023 - 03:27 AM

Many folks that have the lifts notice after a few years the exterior paint on the lifts begins to rust most probably due to salting of roads in winter. One solution that is easy and cheap has been around a long time. Any farmer will tell you linseed oil preserves both wood and metal tools. Lightly sanding to remove loose rust. Moistening a strip clothe in oil then threading it behind the tube and using the motion like buffing a shoe, coat the tube. Wait about 15 minutes and lightly wipe off excess. Once it hardens the oil makes the black tubes look freshly flat painted. Once a year treatment takes just a few minutes. this of course should be done with the roof down to decrease chance of getting any oil on the vinyl soft top. Linseed oil is rape seed oil. Best stuff to have for many projects. 

linseed is great stuff! Just make sure to no put the soaked rags bunched up in the garbage. I've know two separate folks who've started big fires because of that improper disposal. One neighbor lost his house to the fire.

#394 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 August 2023 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for that. Yes I have a nail outside my shop door on which I hang the used rag... it dries hard overnight. then toss in the trash or for that matter if it is winter toss in the woods stove!... All natural!

Henry David Thoreau

#395 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:37 PM

Someone told me to try it on my Jeep. I was skeptical but it really looked good after I was done. Need to do a second coat. All the wooden handles of my work tools get linseed oil. Hmmm, I probably should go recoat today while I'm thinking about it. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#396 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:13 PM

Years ago when the outside of the lifters started to show some spots of rust

I cleaned and rust/primed them. Then wrapped them in black electricians tape.

This has worked very well.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#397 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:48 PM

I just added a 200 watt solar panel on top of my camper. Now with this configuration 40 lb struts are working for me. I installed the solar panel toward the front, with out struts I can just barely get the front up, with the struts it is no problem. Without solar panel I had to leave the front struts off because it was to hard to get the top down and really wasn’t hard to lift it up. Now I seem to have a balanced configuration that is working.

#398 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:52 PM

I have the same set up of 40# lifters and a 200 W solar. Glad all worked out for you too. I've even put an additional 58 pound canoe up there on a trip and still was able to lift with a little effort (I also carry the 'speaker stand tube crank lifter' on trips with the boat in case I pull my back doing something stupid... it would save the day)

Henry David Thoreau

#399 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 August 2023 - 04:10 PM

I have hurt my back while camping. Fortunately the top was already up. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#400 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 10 August 2023 - 11:21 PM

I find it amazing the amount of vacuum that is created when lifting the top. Door latched open no problem. If the door is in the opening even the slightest, wow is it hard to lift the top. I spaced out one time and was trying to open the camper in the rain. Door was just crack and the top wouldn't budge! Thought I missed a latch or something. Now door is always wide open and even opening side window makes the job easier. When I shut her down, everything is closed and both fans are sucking air out. Works great to pull in the fabric too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users