#1 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Hi All;
Wanted to introduce myself. My name is Marc Wassmann and I am the “creator” of the XPCamper.

I saw that my camper has been mentioned here a few times.

Maybe I can give you all a little bit of the history behind it.
The project began around 7 years ago; one week after I had purchased a new Pop up truck camper.
That particular unit leaked in the 1st rain it saw; and after a few month of off road use it literally fell apart.

While I was rebuilding the inside I researched mainly the marine industry and was introduced to some cool composites. Light weight; can’t rot; if the water tank leaks again so what? Plastic don’t mind water.
After rebuilding the inside I managed to save about 50 lbs.
Cool.

Next idea. Let’s built a whole camper out of this stuff.

So there you have it; 7 years and 2 prototypes later and here it is.
A low profile; light weight( shell is 600 lbs) frame less pop up camper loaded with the latest technologies in diesel appliances and power management.
Hasn’t leaked yet ( not too bad for a former chef to build his 1st camper leak free); besides the hole I drilled trough the roof; but hey ; it’s composites; so no harm done :P

I managed to stuff 80 Gallons of water in that unit; a full wet bath; 25 Gallons grey H2O and have nearly 65 cuft of storage.
It also can fit 7 cases of beer ( Blue moon) in one of the outside storage compartments. One of the design requirements….
There was even talk about installing a 5 Gallon Keg in the shower stall!!! The Burning Man edition. :D

Too much fun.
It turned out to be a big disaster after I opened the camper.
The fridge opened and all the beer got warm.
That problem got fixed pretty fast and no more opening fridges here...
Posted Image

My latest edition; remote controlled lights for ease of night parking.
Posted Image

#2 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

Here are some pics from the inside.
I used a cool technique from the marine industry by creating a lip on the counter top.
No water can roll off.
The faucet is a single handle for ease of use and has a ceramic valve.

The shower converts to a counter top when not in use.
The same single handle faucet is used there as well. It is also handy to place you wet boots and jackets in the shower stall.

I only use breakers and no fuses throughout the whole camper. The system I use is a Blue Sea 360 Panel which is best in my mind on the market.
All wiring is done in a harness and can be easily replaced or added on if needed.
Again; only marine wire is used.

By using marine equipment I eliminated a few down falls I discovered in my old campers.
They haven’t rattled loose yet; are not subject to salty air when camping on a beach and provide much better connections.
They are also water resistant; so if you get stuck in a river you probably be able to use the systems.
I can’t verify that; since I haven’t played submarine with the camper yet.

Any Marina in the world can work on the camper if there would be a potential problem.
Not so with main stream RV equipment; which is mainly used in the US.

View from the bed
Posted Image

View from the dinnette
Those are "hidden" led's behind the upper cabinet.

Posted Image

#3 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

Here a re some pics of the truck without the camper.
Never had a flatbed before; but sure love the versatility of it.

I think flatbeds rule...

It's a short bed truck.
The break over angle is pretty good on this truck.
You could use a hitch extension to tow some things.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

Very nice, I like flatbeds as well, see a ton of them in Australia. So does the camper have a door :mellow: ?
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 switchback

switchback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:06 PM

what's the price tag for something like that ?

$$ ??

#6 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Very nice, I like flatbeds as well, see a ton of them in Australia. So does the camper have a door :mellow: ?

Thanks
Who needs a door if you have big windows??

Yes; it's a side entry door.
You can see it at the right side of the camper; 1st pic

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:31 PM

It would have been nice if you had a finished version at Overland Expo. The one I saw there appeared to be only partially completed, wires hanging from the ceiling, no upholstery, no door, etc. Basic design looks good and would really have liked to see one complete.

One question, it appeared you used balsa or foam coring between the FG layers..Is this correct?? Seems to me it would create a huge issue if it had a leak somewhere and the coring ended up saturated with water..?? I've seen decks on several large boats (Sea Ray's in particular) have the coring completely saturated because of a single leak from a rail stanchion.
If balsa coring is installed, what measures do you take to prevent water entry from any "hull" penetrations??

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi Marc,

Thanks for bringing us up to date on your camper. While I appreciate what you have shown and told us, I'm greedy and want more. ;)

You said the shell weighs about 600 lbs. How about the whole camper when equipped with cabinets and other amenities? Since you are just starting out, I suspect you will build to order for a while. Any idea how soon you expect to start production? Any exterior pictures of the camper in the open position?

Thanks, Ted

p.s. my neighbor is a distributor for Blue Moon. I'll let him know about your plug. Maybe I can get you some free beer!

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

It would have been nice if you had a finished version at Overland Expo. The one I saw there appeared to be only partially completed, wires hanging from the ceiling, no upholstery, no door, etc. Basic design looks good and would really have liked to see one complete.

One question, it appeared you used balsa or foam coring between the FG layers..Is this correct?? Seems to me it would create a huge issue if it had a leak somewhere and the coring ended up saturated with water..?? I've seen decks on several large boats (Sea Ray's in particular) have the coring completely saturated because of a single leak from a rail stanchion.
If balsa coring is installed, what measures do you take to prevent water entry from any "hull" penetrations??

What you the the EXPO was A SHELL MODEL which comes partially prewired.
If you look at the pics above you see a finished one.

I don't know where you get that i use a balsa core????

I only use foam core with unidirectional hand laid fiberglass reinforced with carbon and kevlar.
And NO; i won't give you my lay up schedule....

We had a piece at the show ; we even let people hit it with the hammer.

#10 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

Hi Marc,

Thanks for bringing us up to date on your camper. While I appreciate what you have shown and told us, I'm greedy and want more. ;)

You said the shell weighs about 600 lbs. How about the whole camper when equipped with cabinets and other amenities? Since you are just starting out, I suspect you will build to order for a while. Any idea how soon you expect to start production? Any exterior pictures of the camper in the open position?

Thanks, Ted

p.s. my neighbor is a distributor for Blue Moon. I'll let him know about your plug. Maybe I can get you some free beer!

FREE Beer yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It depends how you set up the camper.
A fully loaded one with all the specs i have on it is about 1600lbs.
I need to get it to a certified scale.

All campers are built to order; since you can choose the finishes; colors etc etc.

You can see pics on my website in the up position..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users