#11 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:56 PM

Moose,
I've the older brackets on my 2008 DCLB tacoma. I've done quite a few miles on the paper mill roads in the north woods of ME and they've held up fine. No bends either. I wouldn't characterize any of it as hard wheelin' though. YMMV. Occasionally a turnbuckle loosens up, but I don't do anything to keep it tight (extra nut or bus wire to keep it from turning)

Having said all that, i'm seriously looking to either a: bolt through into the frame via a captive nut or b: bolt through into the aforementioned bracket via a captive nut. A drift pin or two to quickly align the camper and then ratchet comfortably from the inside? Sounds nice. Others have had some success with bolting thru.

maybe its just me but, I think the part I look forward to least about putting the camper on or taking it off are those damn turnbuckles! Perhaps fast-guns or something of the like would make it easier as well?
Rob
Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#12 dmoose

dmoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia Canada

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

so this bolt thru would go right thru the floor of the camper into a nut welded in the frame then ?

That sounds alright except for the holes in the camper haha

and i guess you could bolt that on 3 corners to allow some give but the campers are suppose to flex a bit too hmmm

#13 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

I was thinking a piece of alum. angle (3x3x3wide), which would act like a washer, but also attach to the vertical wood pieces of the camper base.

yeah, my thought was the campers are supposed to flex as well.

I could be crazy... or alternatively, I may never get around to it. Although I do hate turnbuckles.
Rob

so this bolt thru would go right thru the floor of the camper into a nut welded in the frame then ?

That sounds alright except for the holes in the camper haha

and i guess you could bolt that on 3 corners to allow some give but the campers are suppose to flex a bit too hmmm

Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#14 dmoose

dmoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia Canada

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:41 PM

I actually went and looked at four wheel campers yesterday and i want one more than before so bad it hurts now haha but the passenger side turn buckles under the couch look like a bugger to get at not as bad on the lh side

#15 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

you wrote ...

<< in the photos i seen there was a large gap between bracket and the recessed groove in the bed under the head of the bolt the question is shouldnt their be a collar between the bracket and the bed to allow the it to be cinched down and lock the bolt from backing out ? >>

We do add backing there, as needed, and apply some sort of lock tight to the truck bed bolts when re-installing them.

<< wouldnt the area between the brackets require a piece of wood or mat to support the middle of the camper floor? >>

Yes, on all new campers we install a thick rubber bed mat in front of, in the middle of, and behind the steel cross bars. This gives the camper a nice flat surface to rest on, gives the truck bed some cushioning, and also add some "tackyness" so the camper is less likely to move or slide around on the smooth plastic truck bed. It is just not show in the pictures.

The first batch of photos posted earlier was of the original tie down bed bars.

The second batch of photos attached on this post are the newer, "beefier" brackets we have been using.

They are strong !

smile.gif

I was looking for an answer to a possible question about a bed mat of some sort in between the camper and the harder surface of the bed it rests on. I think I will use my old Toyota rubber bed mat and cut it a bit for the brackets. I noticed in this pic that there is what looks to be a connector for power to the camper drilled into the side of the bed. Does FWC do a dual battery under the hood? If so how do you go about mounting it. There is room in the engine bay on the passenger side but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. Thanks.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#16 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

I noticed in this pic that there is what looks to be a connector for power to the camper drilled into the side of the bed. Does FWC do a dual battery under the hood? If so how do you go about mounting it. There is room in the engine bay on the passenger side but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do it. Thanks.

ETAV8R, not a direct answer to your question but I think you have seen my second battery setup under the hood. I don't know if FWC supports this type of installation or not. FWIW, ATC mounted a plug into the side of the bed with two outlets- one for the power connection from the battery to the camper, and one for a connection from a solar controller (I don't have solar yet) to the battery. Wires run to this plug from the camper fuse panel. It is a fairly stout wire running from the battery back to the bed under the truck. Sorry I don't know the size off hand. I imagine FWC could do this as well.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#17 tnscoots

tnscoots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi Folks,

I made my own cross bed brackets after seeing the pictures like the ones Stan posted here.  I had no trouble with them on a nearl 10K mile trip, with ample driving on washboard roads.  they were pretty easy to make and certainly saved me a few hundred dollars.

I will probably post my '98 Ranger Shell for sale soon, in case anyone is interested.  I restorred it and modified the rear floor and side walls to better fit my 2012 Tacoma as opposed to the way in fit the original Ford Ranger.  This modification opened much more floor space.  The second picture is the original side wall configuration of the Ranger Shell, and the thrid picture reveals my modification.

Cheers,

Tom

Tacoma bed camper mount brackets.jpg

DSC00004 (3) copy.jpg

Modified Ranger Shell.JPG

#18 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

The best rubber I have found for this task is commonly used for the floor of livestock stalls, sold at ranch and farm supply stores. I don't know what it's called but you'll know it when you see it.

#19 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

DMoose - you don't say whether you want to mount it down permanently or part time.

My Eagle is bolted down full time. If interested in that solution check out my post "Bolting Eagle or Fleet  to 2005-2013 Tacoma" - posted Feb 2nd, 2013. Look in the archives (page 3 or 4) .

If your doing it part time consider "Tork-Lift" system...especially if your over 50 as it gets harder to work the turnbuckles when you are older,

-RCPilot Jim

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#20 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Tork Lift and Fast guns make it easy to mount the camper into the truck. The biggest worry is centering the camper side to side. I've thought about doing the Tork Lift mount in the rear of the truck and getting rid of the turnbuckles completely. Haven't spent the money yet.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users