#21 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

So you want a light half ton truck that does the job of a 3/4ton truck and gets the mileage of a honda? Good luck!

Out of curiosity, if your trips are expensive now, what did you do 2.5 yrs ago when prices were $4.50 a gallon?

Hate to say it, but this is a pay to play hobby! The only question is, whats it worth to ya? To make you feel better, instead of looking at the overall doller cost you should look at the value per doller of these trips versus whatever else you do for fun.

Kevo

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

So you want a light half ton truck that does the job of a 3/4ton truck and gets the mileage of a honda?

That's exactly right.......we should be demanding this and not settle for anything less!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

That's exactly right.......we should be demanding this and not settle for anything less!

Ok. I still want a couple million dollars while your at it.

My point was you can't make a half ton truck do the job of a 3/4 tonner, let alone get the mileage of a honda while its doing it. Its called physics. It takes a certain amount of power to move 10,000lbs at highway speeds, that requires a certain amount of fuel to make that power. Theres just no way around it. You could make the truck lighter that would help, but that cuts in to comfort and in extreme cases safety(a 3/4 and 1 ton is heftier for a reason).

I just got back from europe. Its neat, and there are some cool turbo diesels there, but I think they'd be i'll suited to our large trucks and the distances, grades we have out west.

On top of that your not likely to see much of anything new from any truck manufacturer as most auto companies are trying to shift there focus to small cars. Trucks were there bread and butter, until it got stale with high gas prices and a bad economy that almost folded two of the big three. They can't depend on trucks to carry them anymore.

I too would like to see some smaller diesel engine choices, I'm just not sure they'd work out in the long run the way you think they would.

Kevo

#24 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

So you want a light half ton truck that does the job of a 3/4ton truck and gets the mileage of a honda? Good luck!

Out of curiosity, if your trips are expensive now, what did you do 2.5 yrs ago when prices were $4.50 a gallon?

Hate to say it, but this is a pay to play hobby! The only question is, whats it worth to ya? To make you feel better, instead of looking at the overall doller cost you should look at the value per doller of these trips versus whatever else you do for fun.

Kevo

I'm sorry to have to tell ya but you are wrong. Small turbo diesels can do the job we need them to do at a fraction of the operating cost. Our big trucks have enormous engines designed to pull big trailers, boats, rv's etc. This is way overkill for the backcountry traveller that is just hauling a light camper. If you can tell me an actual reason that a truck like a Mahindra, with a 3/4 ton payload and a turbo diesel engine that has plenty of power to haul that payload, I'd love to hear it. But I haven't heard it thus far.

#25 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

I too would like to see some smaller diesel engine choices, I'm just not sure they'd work out in the long run the way you think they would.

There's already an example of a turbo-diesel utility vehicle performing admirably for many years in this country - the Sprinter vans.

#26 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I too hope they bring the mahindra. Its allways good to have new options. Maybe it'll work for you, I don't know. I think its wishfull thinking to expect a heavy truck with a camper to get 30+mpg though.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

Kevo

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

I'm not sure who is looking for 30mpg. That is a bit optimistic. I have thought though about what I really need. Could I make my camper lighter? Sure could. Basically I want a place to sleep comfortably. That means the popup is required. Heater is required. Most everything else I could chuck and get by. I'm betting we could get a camper (ours or maybe even a new one) light enough something like the mahindra would do the job.

Things to think about.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#28 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

If that Mahindra ever arrives, it will have a 2,950 payload! That will handle a FWC or ATC nicely. If they'd bring it in with a manual trans, well I might just buy one.

I had a 2006 Ford F250 4x4 gasser, 6sp manual= 10 to 12 MPG

I now have a 2006 Dodge Cummins 4x4 6sp. manual= 18 to 20 mpg. I have a friend with a Tacoma 4 cylinder 4x4. We do a lot of trips together. When we fuel, he uses the same gallons of gas, as I do of diesel. Meaning his little mini-truck gets no better mileage and he loses the comfort, safety and off-road ability of (What Jay calls) "a real truck". We both bought our trucks new in 2006. Mine a crew cab, his only an extra cab. Mine was only $3,000 more. His has been into for Toyota for warranty repairs several times. Mine has had no problems.

I used to be an import truck kinda' guy (Toyota pickups, Landcruisers, Nissan, Isuzu). I always used to think those guys with USA trucks were crazy, that only an import would be reliable. Now that I have switched over to a Cummins, I can't imagine how the Japanese companies can sell a single truck. My Dodge (maybe mine is an aberration) has been the most reliable truck I have ever had.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMGP4182.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#29 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Before Gene bought the Ram we must have spent 200 hours MMing and endless weekends test driving every possible Japanese import. I had a T100 at the time and Gene just sold his F250. So after one of those marathon Sundays of driving the imports I said "lets go to the Dodge dealer and just try one." After 2 minutes I told him to do his self a favor and get a real truck. I bought one 3 months later. I've had lots of vehicles but this Ram is by far the best I've owned.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#30 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

I've had lots of vehicles but this Ram is by far the best I've owned.

I agree...
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users