9 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

I'm going to consolidate marks website announcement and press release here in this thread. So to reiterate what Marc posted yesterday, there is a new website up at:

http://www.xpcamper.com/

XPCamper Now Accepting Production Orders

San Francisco, CA 05 June 2010 – After two years of refinement, two hand-built prototype units and
over 25,000 miles of testing, XP Camper (www.xpcamper.com) is proud to announce that they are
now accepting orders!

“I created the XPCamper because I was disappointed with the materials and construction I found in
other campers” said Marc Wassmann, the company’s founder. “I spent several years researching
materials and construction methods, built a prototype by hand and then personally tested it for a
year over 25,000 miles of on and off-highway travel. Then I tore it apart, figured out what worked
and what didn’t, and built a second prototype. Now I’m confident that the XPCamper and every sys-
tem in it is the best possible quality. It’s the camper I want, and I build each one as if it was for me.”

The XPCamper is a lightweight, expedition quality camper that sets new standards in several areas.
It’s the first pop-up camper in North America to offer:

• All diesel appliances (found in yachts around the world, modern diesel appliances are incredibly
    efficient, safe and environmentally responsible)
  • Remote controlled hydraulic popup system (setting up camp is a simple push of a button)
  • A monocoque fiberglass body created partially with a soy based resin (solid, strong and well insulated)
  • An optional fuel cell power system

“The fuel cell is phenomenal” said Marc “very safe, with no noise and no emissions other than
water. With the fuel cell you can be fully self contained for incredibly long periods of time yet have
all the electrical comforts of home.”

Starting at $23,465 the base level shell includes the camper body, dual pane windows, doors and the
remote controlled hydraulic lifting mechanism. To further serve the ‘do it yourself’ adventurer, XP-
Camper is also making each component available separately, and is a factory authorized Webasto®
diesel appliance installation and service provider.

A fully loaded and installed turn-key model can cost as much as $75,000, which includes a queen size
bed, full kitchen and bathroom facilities, multiple built in storage solutions, high efficiency lighting,
a TotalVision® exterior camera system and a dinette as well as solar panels, a fuel cell APS and the
required modifications to the platform truck.

The XPCamper is designed to mount easily and securely to a flatbed truck with a minimum
payload rating of 2,000 pounds, which customers will need to provide. The flatbed itself and
any required modifications to the truck are included in the cost of the turn-key unit.
About XPCamper

Created by uncompromising off-road enthusiasts for off-the-beaten path adventurers, the XPCamper
is the result of over seven years of continuous testing and refinement. For more information or
to discover how you can commission your own custom built expedition quality camper, visit
www.xpcamper.com or contact the founder and owner: Marc Wassmann, 415 672 1504,
marc@xpcamper.com.

Posted Image

#2 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Great design, but too expensive for my wallet. For example, diesel heat might work great but it appears to be 3 or 4 times more expensive than a propane furnace, although I'm not sure about comparative fuel costs.
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

very nice, not a lot of market overlap with fwc or act I wouldn't think.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 Joaquin Suave

Joaquin Suave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 04:11 AM

Great design, but too expensive for my wallet. For example, diesel heat might work great but it appears to be 3 or 4 times more expensive than a propane furnace, although I'm not sure about comparative fuel costs.

Before you "throw the baby out with the bath water"... If you are interested in one of his campers, talk to him. He is a perfectionest! And wants to offer the BEST DESIGN & BEST PRODUCT...End of story! I know this for a fact! You can't fault him for that can you? If you are interested in his product, but want some different components...Talk to Marc! Rather than think of him as a "new big gun" slugging it out with the likes of 4 Wheel Camper or Alaskan, think of him as a small custom bicycle builder, that may not have the horsepower of the "bigger dogs"...but makes up for it in DESIGN & CUSTOMER SERVICE!

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

I'm really looking forward to checking out the XP Camper when we set a date to rally. Yes, an outfitted camper and new truck adding up to about 100k is out of my affordability range too. But based on the way this vehicle is marketed, it isn't designed for those of us running around forest roads on weekends. I don't know Marc and I'm just giving my opinion here, but his set up appears to be equivalent to many of the multi-national expedition rigs out there. And most of those run from 200 to 400k. Its half the price of a used Earthroamer and, heck, a well equipped Sportsmobile runs 100k new. So it seems like a well priced vehicle for what it is designed to be, and that is why I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

I'm really looking forward to checking out the XP Camper when we set a date to rally. Yes, an outfitted camper and new truck adding up to about 100k is out of my affordability range too. But based on the way this vehicle is marketed, it isn't designed for those of us running around forest roads on weekends. I don't know Marc and I'm just giving my opinion here, but his set up appears to be equivalent to many of the multi-national expedition rigs out there. And most of those run from 200 to 400k. Its half the price of a used Earthroamer and, heck, a well equipped Sportsmobile runs 100k new. So it seems like a well priced vehicle for what it is designed to be, and that is why I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

I agree Ted. Also realize that the quoted turnkey price is for a camper built with all top of the line components and a custom flatbed. I find the price of the "shell" model pretty reasonable for those that would want to build their own ultimate camper. Here's a clue to my possible evil plan :D

Posted Image

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:05 AM

I agree Ted. Also realize that the quoted turnkey price is for a camper built with all top of the line components and a custom flatbed. I find the price of the "shell" model pretty reasonable for those that would want to build their own ultimate camper. Here's a clue to my possible evil plan Posted Image

Posted Image

Is that a right handed drive Land Cruiser???

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:07 AM

Is that a right handed drive Land Cruiser???

Mahindra!

#9 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:04 PM

Mahindra!

My hind end did what??? :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#10 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:14 PM

It also works 3-4 times better than propane fueled appliances.
Uses less power when running and provides a dryer heat than propane fueled heaters.

I basically eliminated all condensation in my camper by using diesel powered water and air heaters; dual pane windows and a foam core design.

And that technology is not inexpensive.
Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users