• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:18 PM

I'm pretty new here, but really have joined up because the overall group seems to be innovative and looking for good off road camper solutions.
I don't know about you guys, but I think that in general the camper manufacturers are letting us down a little bit in that they make just what they make and true customization really doesn't exist. Sure you can add some extras and make a few changes to base models, but what I want is a camper built completely to my specs and that is built for my rig.
Wait! Before you go telling me how it just isn't possible to make one individual camper to each customers wishes and make a profit, let me say that I already recognize this. Which is why I was so thrilled to find the "Super Camper" blog. This guy looked around and said, 'if they can't make what I want, then I will make it for myself'.

Check the Super Camper Blog

Now this is not exactly what I want, but I find the fact that it can be done so well intriguing. Currenly I am considering a project myself. It's still a in the infant stages, but starting to take shape and if I can see it through may change the way people think about do-it-yourself campers.

Any thoughts on the super camper or the idea of building your own camper solution?

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:38 AM

I went with an FWC because it fits my needs and as a mass produced camper it also fits my budget. Sure you can find people who can do what you want. Is it affordable? I love the xpcamper. If funds were unlimited I'd give them a call. Can you get a custom camper for less than fwc/atc will charge? Not very likely. Thats why we have so many threads on customization. Can't do it all at once? NP, do it a little at a time.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

Any thoughts on the super camper or the idea of building your own camper solution?

Just a thought based on computer programming... The big idea about Object Oriented Programming (OOP) is that you can inherit and re-use features of program snippets (Objects), and save tons of development time with fewer program crashes. I have found that "Object Oriented Design" works equally well in the world of hardware.

The guy who built that super camper for his really hot pro surfer girlfriend is a helicopter engineer who doesn't have to live by the same rules as the rest of us. For *us*, buying a shell and fitting it out is the more efficient ( = 'obtainable') means.

Just sayin'

#4 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:46 AM

Great point Mark. It is more time and cost effective to use what already exists and build or modify around it. No need to totally reinvent the wheel.
I did know the super camper guy was an engineer. And your right, when considering a complete build it can be expensive.
What I'm considering is building my own light weight shell right on to my truck bed and then using standard RV or Marine grade systmes to complete. I would certainly consult with experts (possibly even an engineer) for the structural design, but feel that I could use similare materials as the super camper to end up with a light weight shell that I could then customize the interior on.
From a cost standpoint, it might be more than buying a FWC shell and building out the interior, but it would be lighter and give me back all that space that you lose with a slide in.
I don't know yet if its a go, but I am considering it.

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users