#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

I'll expand on this later but here's the basic info since this comes up a lot:

The resolution of photos straight out of any kind of camera is usually too large to post in most web applications. Most photo album software has an option to "export" photos at smaller dimensions so you can export your photos at say 800 pixels wide and you should be able to upload them fine. You can also use and kind of image editing software to reduce the photo dimensions or even some online tools like this one:

http://www.resize2mail.com/

More*************

Avoid reducing the image quality substantially to get the file size down rather than reducing the image dimensions. So if the upload does work the photo isnt going to look so great. Images in the gallery are resized to a maximum dimension 900 pixels. Images straight out of camers can be over 5000 pixels wide. The thing to do is to resize your images before you upload them rather than to reduce the quality.

Do you use some kind of photo album software to store and organize your photos? If so, it probably has an option of "exporting" your photos one or many at a time at a reduced dimension. If you can specify an exact dimension then export them all at 900 and they will upload easily. If the export feature gives you preset dimensions to choose from, choose the one that is larger than, but close to 900, and the photos will still upload and resize fine. 1260 pixels is often a preset in these programs.

If you do not use some kind of photo album software to organize your photos - you should start! Makes life much easier.

#2 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

Here is another option also.

http://shrinkpictures.com/about.php
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#3 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

Resize digital pictures quick.

Here is a program that works within your picture folder with just a right click. It is very easy to use and works very well !!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

I expanded a bit on the original post.

#5 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

I guess I must be pretty stupid, I CAN NOT post pictures here on this web site. I resized them to 800 x 600 and still not good enough!!!??? Oh well.

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

I guess I must be pretty stupid, I CAN NOT post pictures here on this web site. I resized them to 800 x 600 and still not good enough!!!??? Oh well.

Is there a specific error message you are getting?

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:43 PM

Want some help? Posted Image
The key to getting Attachments well-under the 500kB/post limit -- at least as important as reducing the image size -- is increasing the jpeg compression.
What image-editing software are you using? I'm pretty sure that all image-editing software has a choice of "jpeg quality" or "jpeg compression". You should use a lower "quality" setting or higher "compression" setting to reduce the file size.
For purposes of web-posting, "80%" or "8" or "Very Good" -- or even 70% or 7 or Good -- should be plenty good enough. I think it would be a rare photo that needs to have a file size greater than 200kB, maybe even 100kB, (for a 800- to 900-pixel long-side) for forum-posting purposes. Unless the image is very complicated or has a very broad range of single-color-shading (like, blue in the sky), you won't see much difference at a reasonable image size.

The BEST free image editing software (IMHO) is irfanview. It's also a great image viewer (my default image-viewer) and slide-show maker. Even though I own the latest version of full-on Adobe Photoshop as well as Lightroom, for simple photo resizing (and other simple tasks) for web-posting I still use this great free software -- irfanview. Also recommend to download and install the plugins for it.

Alternative approach (which I usually use): Instead of using the "Click to Attach Files", upload the photos first -- either to a Gallery on WTW or somewhere else (free) on the Web -- then use the "Insert Image" icon to insert a link to this already-uploaded photo. I like this approach better 'cause you don't have the 500kB-per-post limit -- so lots of photos can be Inserted in a single post -- and the photos automatically appear as ~full-size rather than as thumbnails that have to be clicked on.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 deethe

deethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

i posted this in the photo & attachment thread also:
http://www.wanderthe...ation/?p=118797

i'm having trouble copy the image link from my gallery on an iPad/ios8.3

i can get the share link popup window to appear but when i try to copy the image link i am unable to copy the entire link on the touch screen or use 'select all'. when i try to drag the pointer to the right to get the entire link it fails to scroll.

i would just attach a file from my local library for the thumbnail feature but the photo images are larger than 500k and no photo app i have (photos, snapseed, ps express) is capable of simply resizing the image to size. (my lightroom subscription is expired and likely useless w/o internet, plus i can't actually buy it form the ipad- need to go to the mothership for that?!)

i really shouldn't need a seperate app to downsize a photo, thanks apple!

note: i was able to use 'select all' to copy the post link pasted above

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by deethe, 30 April 2015 - 12:42 PM.

2014 FWC Hawk powered by a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4WD

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:19 PM

i posted this in the photo & attachment thread also:
http://www.wanderthe...ation/?p=118797

i'm having trouble copy the image link from my gallery on an iPad/ios8.3

i can get the share link popup window to appear but when i try to copy the image link i am unable to copy the entire link on the touch screen or use 'select all'. when i try to drag the pointer to the right to get the entire link it fails to scroll....

I would focus on the approach that uses your Gallery (or other image-hosting site), rather than resizing and the "Attach Files" option.

I don't have an iOS device (not a resident of Lord Job's universe... ;) ) but on my Android phone, just now I tried this and it worked.  I don't know if iOS works similarly:

1. I'm viewing the site on the Chrome for Android browser in Full Site mode - so it looks just like on my PC.
  2. On the Gallery page that shows a single image (the same one that presents the option for Share links), I do a LONG PRESS on the image, and that presents a pop-up window with the same options you'd get on a PC right-click -- One of the options is "Direct link to this image".
  3. If you do another LONG PRESS on "Direct link..." you'll get a set of options that include "Copy link address" -- that's the one you want.  Or...instead of LONG PRESS:
  • Click on "Direct link...", which will open the image by itself in a new browser window or tab and then you copy the URL.

Again, this worked on an Android phone when viewing WTW in a browser (not app) in "Full Site" and "Desktop" mode.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 deethe

deethe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

only getting 'save image' or 'copy' from the long press on safari, maybe i'll try chrome...

2014 FWC Hawk powered by a 2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users