Photo
- - - - -

anyone out there had a diesel and off'ed it?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#11 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

I'd love to have a diesel. Thing is...I think I'm allegic to that stuff. You fire up your diesel, I instantly get a ragin' headache.

I'll pass you in my gasser even if I have to red line it to do it. Following a smoke bellowing diesel on a grade can ruin a good day here for a few hours.

Now ya know one of the reasons I was the front truck a few times on the CO Rally. Sure wasn't cus I knew WTF I was goin'..... LOL.

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#12 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

Found a reason to not have a Diesel...

http://www.wanderthe..._234_392346.jpg
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#13 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

I think the only folks who question the benefit of a diesel are those who dont own one.<snip>

"I think the only folks that don't question the benefits of a diesel own one." -- Does anybody else see that this type of assertion begs the question?

In other words, if I question the benefit, why own, and if I don't question the benefit, why not own?

Now that diesels will require the same exhaust scrubbing as spark ignition engines, I think the hidden environmental-economic costs will be placed where they rightfully belong, from a statutory perspective.

#14 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:08 PM

Simple life? Hmmm, lets see. Diesel=change the oil Gasser=change the oil, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil.

But you may be right on the economics if you aren't going to tow or haul anything heavy.

Don't forget your fuel filter.

I'd love to have a diesel. Thing is...I think I'm allegic to that stuff. You fire up your diesel, I instantly get a ragin' headache.

I'll pass you in my gasser even if I have to red line it to do it. Following a smoke bellowing diesel on a grade can ruin a good day here for a few hours.

Now ya know one of the reasons I was the front truck a few times on the CO Rally. Sure wasn't cus I knew WTF I was goin'..... LOL.

mtn

Give me at least one chance to pull over in a safe location to allow you to pass, and/or pass when it is safe. I'm considerate of drivers behind me, and prefer to have those whom want to drive faster than I to be in front of me. Once in front of me, don't slow down to a speed slower than I was going when you passed me (provided road conditions allow you to continue to drive that fast).

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/uploads/1277045430/gallery_207_234_392346.jpg

That seems more of a reason to not own a FWC (or ATC) on a fullsize 4X4 truck. My Hawk on my Dodge, 4X4, gasser is over the limit for that bridge. Maybe without the extra weight of the 4X4 I could make it. Maybe.

One disadvantage to a diesel is that there are fewer fueling locations. All gas stations supply gasoline, many don't supply diesel. One reason I bought a 52 gallon fuel tank is that I couldn't find diesel at convenient locations.

#15 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:20 AM

That seems more of a reason to not own a FWC (or ATC) on a fullsize 4X4 truck. My Hawk on my Dodge, 4X4, gasser is over the limit for that bridge. Maybe without the extra weight of the 4X4 I could make it. Maybe.

Yes, except that I can buy a small 4X4 gasser that will carry me safely across that bridge with a FWC/ATC. Until (if) Mahindra arrives in the USA, you simply don't have the option with a diesel. Likewise, only a Mahindra would be useful at this camping spot:

Attached Thumbnails

• Dexter_small.jpg

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#16 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

Give me at least one chance to pull over in a safe location to allow you to pass, and/or pass when it is safe. I'm considerate of drivers behind me, and prefer to have those whom want to drive faster than I to be in front of me. Once in front of me, don't slow down to a speed slower than I was going when you passed me (provided road conditions allow you to continue to drive that fast)

I wouldn't think of passing where it isn't safe, Edo. I live in Colorado and deal with "tourons" daily on a winding 2 lane highway who obviously think the State of Colorado paints double lines on the road merely to waste paint.

And no worries. Once I get around yer cloud belchin diesel you won't see me again...unless that is, yer one of those visitors who feel they need to drive 90 everywhere they go in this State.

On vacation and (still) in a hurry. Amazing.

travel safe all

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#17 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

And I thought The BP discussion was going to piss people off.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#18 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

http://www.wanderthe..._234_392346.jpg

hey! i drove my truck across that!
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#19 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Simple life? Hmmm, lets see. Diesel=change the oil Gasser=change the oil, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil.

But you may be right on the economics if you aren't going to tow or haul anything heavy.

You missed the fuel filter and keeping an extra in the truck just in case!!! And praying that you don't get a junk load of bad fuel that will destroy that $18,000 dollar engine with NO warranty!!! ;)

Nope, the heaviest I tow will be my doubles of travel trailer and boat at 8000#.

Posted Image
:D :D :D :D :D
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#20 Fitwon

Fitwon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:07 AM

My previous two trucks were CTD's, an 01 and 05. I went back to a gasser. F150 cause the weight is much less for off roading and I don't have to worry about EGT's. Is it too hot? Has it cooled down enough to shut off? Carrying extra fuel filters. Water in the fuel will destroy a diesel and not covered by warranty.

Love my F150 gasser. Life is simpler!!!! :D

That is exactly why I did not jump to a Diesel when I bought my 1500 Ram 2009 5.7 Hemi gas. Simple--easier and considerably less dollars when purchased. Diesels do have their advantages but I think my Hemi will carry my camper and pull my 19 foot River Hawk (2450 pounds) together . After I buy my first pop up camper (maybe tomorrow), come fishing at East Lake (Central Oregon) and test it out.:D
2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4 2009 River Hawk 190XL, Evinrude E-Tech 115 2007 Outfitter Caribou 8 Yukon Next

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users