21 replies to this topic

#11 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:05 PM

Depends on your floor plan. All the extra length in the front dinette is in the width of the dinette seats. Someone with a side dinette or roll over couch can speak for their unit.

Or visit the Four Wheel Camper floor plan web page

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#12 Idahojolson

Idahojolson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIdaho (ID)

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:21 PM

Good point, I forget I need to be more specific since there are a lot of different kinds of camper models.  I was hoping for an understanding of where the extra 16" is on a flatbed Granby vs the flatbed Hawk.  I am hoping it's in the Grandby dinette (seating for 4?) but can't find the spec on that specifically.  That would be worth it to us if it made a bigger seating area.  Thanks!

#13 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:38 PM

I have a Grandby on a SB Dodge 3/4 ton. I have Timbrens on all four wheels.

It is the Front Dinette model with a cassette toilet.  I don't believe the extra length makes any difference offroading since it is high enough the tailgate hitting is not an issue.   One of the things I didn't realize with the FD is that the batteries (I have two six-volt batteries) sit all the way back on the tailgate, as does the cassette toilet.  It works ok on my 3/4 ton, but not sure how it would work on your Tundra.  If you put hawk on your SB truck and you had a FD model, the batteries would still be at the back, but at least not out over the tailgate.  

Rich

#14 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:45 PM

The Granby Front Dinette model has the extra 18" in the dinette, which means the seats, bigger table, and more underseat storage.  I can't answer questions about the Flatbed, mine is the slide-in.

Rich

Edited by camper rich, 30 December 2020 - 09:48 PM.

#15 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:37 PM

The web site shows the exact same floor plan image for both Hawk and Grandby flatbeds.  However, looking at the side view photos it appears the extra length is aft of the door.  A call to FWC would get the question answered immediately. 

Edited by Jon R, 30 December 2020 - 10:43 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#16 Idahojolson

Idahojolson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIdaho (ID)

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:51 PM

Thanks everyone.  I hope it is after the door.  I am totally good with a longer footprint for that reason and would go grandby if that were the case. I'll call FWC.  I'll let you all know what I find if your interested.

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:20 AM

As I recall from looking at some show room models, the Grandby Flatbed has all the extra length in the back, by the dinette.

#18 Idahojolson

Idahojolson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIdaho (ID)

Posted 31 December 2020 - 03:26 AM

Thanks. A bigger dinette would be really great assuming the overall length is manageable. For eating, hanging out, storage and sleeping. 16 to 18 inches is a lot! Thanks everyone

#19 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:57 AM

Do you need to buy a Toyota?  I think you ought to consider a 3/4 ton.  That way you can load it down with toys like kayaks, bikes, a generator, a winch, plus all the things your girlfriend will want to take along.   Ask me how I know.

#20 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 03 January 2021 - 06:36 AM

I'm not able to paste youtube links but if you do a search you can find videos showing the interiors of the two models.  The dinette is much bigger in the grandby. 

Edited by Jon R, 03 January 2021 - 06:37 AM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users