#11 GSBFree

GSBFree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

I also recall reading on here about someone that uses ice frozen in plastic milk cartons to get the cooling without the melt water. And I have also read about the evaporation trick. But we took it one step further. We have gone through two ice chests in the last four months (Igloo and Coleman). Handles and latches breaking off. Plus the poor insulation in them means constantly replenishing the ice. Broke down and bought a Yeti this week. First reaction was :o but we figure if it lasts several years we will break even. Yet to see if the ice really does last longer.

Ted, I've been looking at both the Yeti and Engel coolers. Where are you carrying yours, inside your camper or in the truck? Based on the spec measurements it looks like both coolers would just barely squeeze into the Hawk between the couch and propane compartment. Otherwise, the cooler would have be lifted over the couch...which seems like it would be HEAVY Posted Image
'15 Tundra Double Cab
'08 Hawk

#12 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Big Coolers Reprint

Mark - thanks for the link! Makes me feel even better about my Coleman Extreme.

We freeze 64 oz cranberry juice jugs for ice. They're sorta rectangular and fit nicely in the four corners of our cooler. Cooler management is essential. We keep a separate beverage cooler to preserve the food cooler's ice. I put a piece of the Reflectix bubble stuff in the top of the cooler (seems like the insulation is better in the sides than the top) and cover the whole thing with a damp, white towel for evap cooling. This is what we do on river trips as well, and it works great. If it's especially hot, we'll cover the towel with Reflectix. My Coleman ain't a Engel, but with the extra steps, it's close... and WAY cheaper. And I'm a cheap bastard. Or broke.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

Ted, I've been looking at both the Yeti and Engel coolers. Where are you carrying yours, inside your camper or in the truck? Based on the spec measurements it looks like both coolers would just barely squeeze into the Hawk between the couch and propane compartment. Otherwise, the cooler would have be lifted over the couch...which seems like it would be HEAVY Posted Image

Yes, this is a nightmare with larger coolers and bad for the back, they will not slide in/out through the door due to the couch. Since there is usually only two of us the back seat of my double cab has become the cooler station.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

HEY, IF YOU WANT YOUR ICE TO LAST A LONG TIME IN ANY COOLER, BUY SOME DRY ICE AND PUT IT ON THE BOTTOME OF THE COOLER COVERED WITH A TOWEL. THE ICE WILL LAST FOR OVER 5-7 DAYS. BUT, BEWARE ! IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR FOOD FROZEN, KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE DRY ICE. WORKS GREAT FOR THE COOLER WITH THE BEER, ICE COLD !! NICE !!

#15 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

HEY, IF YOU WANT YOUR ICE TO LAST A LONG TIME IN ANY COOLER, BUY SOME DRY ICE AND PUT IT ON THE BOTTOME OF THE COOLER COVERED WITH A TOWEL. THE ICE WILL LAST FOR OVER 5-7 DAYS. BUT, BEWARE ! IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR FOOD FROZEN, KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE DRY ICE. WORKS GREAT FOR THE COOLER WITH THE BEER, ICE COLD !! NICE !!

Here is what worked for us on our 3 week Yellowstone trip.I set the temp to high on the 3 way with a frozen gallon of water. Than in the thermo cooler which we carry in the truck(i gutter the rear of seats and truck jack),we carry the non frozen food with another gallon of ice.When the ice melts i just switch out the frozen one from the 3 way and start the process all over.This probably will only work with mild outside temps but since we don't camp in the desert it works for us.I didn't have to but any ice at all this time it was so good not to bother with that.I also have a container to carry the ice when it's in the cooler,i used a 2 gallon plastic jug like a kitty litter container cut the top off at the right height and a block of ice fits just right. Keeps the melt water out of the bottom of the cooler and food plus the cold lasts longer since the ice stays in contact with the cold water. This works well for us it may help someone else. Forgot to add,the 3 way WILL freeze the gallon of water,it just takes a couple of days.Either electric or gas

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#16 Fitwon

Fitwon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

I have an ancient Igloo that holds cubed ice for 3 days and a newer Coleman Extreme that will hold for 5 days in good conditions.

I know block ice lasts longer but I need cubes for my buddy, Jack Daniels!!! :D

I was looking at the Yeti the other day. :blink: $$$$$

Are they worth it? Are there any better? How long can they hold ice under normal circumstances?

Thanks in advance!!!

First, Silvertip, you can be sure that Big Foot, AKA Sasquatch, is superior to the Yeti in all capacities except in the snow at over 12,000 feet elevation. At that elevation Big Foot likes to set his fur in the snow, kick back and enjoy the fresh air of life.:rolleyes:

Secondly, Jack Daniels is my buddy, not yours--LOL:D
2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4 2009 River Hawk 190XL, Evinrude E-Tech 115 2007 Outfitter Caribou 8 Yukon Next

#17 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

First, Silvertip, you can be sure that Big Foot, AKA Sasquatch, is superior to the Yeti in all capacities except in the snow at over 12,000 feet elevation. At that elevation Big Foot likes to set his fur in the snow, kick back and enjoy the fresh air of life.:rolleyes:

Secondly, Jack Daniels is my buddy, not yours--LOL:D

What does a Yeti do better than a Big Foot (aka Sasquatch) in the snow above 12,000 feet? I'm guessing he makes either brown or yellow snow. :)

#18 john101477

john101477

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationVina, Ca.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Might look at the newer Cabelas Ice chests they look a LOT like the engels and priced pretty close. I have been looking at the Colemans but I have heard a lot of people that hate them because of the hinges breaking. IDK but I may look into one of these others like the Engel.
86 4runner Northern Cal Images northerncalimages.com

#19 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:34 AM

I have been looking at the Colemans but I have heard a lot of people that hate them because of the hinges breaking.

Yes, the hinges suck on the Coleman Extremes!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#20 panzerkw

panzerkw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi
For those of you that do have a yetti or engle ice chest what is the better fit within the grandby,
ENGEL 65 w29.88 x d16.75 x h16.5 or the
ENGEL 80 w34.75 x d16.75 x h17.63
I would like to know if the ENG 80 would be too cumbersome for the interior,
Also has anyone installed an ENGEL ac/dc replacement fridge for the 3 way within a grandby.
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users