#1 rock and roll

rock and roll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

I've recently acquired a 2003 Tundra TRD 4x4 and am driving this sucker down the Pan-American Highway. My question is what modifications will I need to safely mount and travel with a pop-up camper like the FWC Hawk? I'm thinking I will want:

• Heavy duty Bilstein shocks
  • Air bags on the rear leaf springs
  • Rubber mat for the bed

What do you think? Are these even necessary or am I missing other things?

2003 Tundra TRD 4WD & a 2007 Palomino Bronco 800 to be driven down the PanAm during 2011.

Read about the Hardware Here.

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't forget a quality set of tires and a matching spare. You could live w/o the rubber mat but it is still a good idea.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 rock and roll

rock and roll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't forget a quality set of tires and a matching spare. You could live w/o the rubber mat but it is still a good idea.

Right now the truck has a fairly new set of Toyo Open Country H/T (P265/7-R16) with an unused BFG Rugged Trail spare. I like the H/T's (Highway Travel) for California roads but will want to upgrade for poor road conditions. Would you have any recommendations?

I've run BFG A/Ts for the last 10 years and was leaning toward those again (stock size) and keeping the BFG Long Trail as the backup.

2003 Tundra TRD 4WD & a 2007 Palomino Bronco 800 to be driven down the PanAm during 2011.

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

Go with BFG AT without a doubt. But find a used BFG AT for your spare and get rid of the crappy Rugged Trail. You can usually get a decent used spare mounted for $30-$40, cheap insurance IMO. I've never needed to use mine but I like knowing it is there.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

get rid of the crappy Rugged Trail

I agree....get rid of the Rugged Trail tire. The All Terrains are far superior.

I added custom Dever springs (10 leafs), HD Bilsteins and Firestone Air Bags to my Tundra before installing the Hawk.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:38 PM

I usually take a look at Tire Rack ratings in helping decide what to buy: http://www.tirerack....y.jsp?type=ORAT
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#7 rock and roll

rock and roll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

I usually take a look at Tire Rack ratings in helping decide what to buy: http://www.tirerack....y.jsp?type=ORAT

Very helpful site--Thanks for sharing.

How difficult are the Firestone airbags to install yourself? I haven't found a good write-up for a first generation Tundra and drilling into the frame seems daunting.

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

I'm not much of a mechanic but installed bags in an F150 and a F250, the 150 required drilling. Instructions were clear. As long as there are no lines (brake/fuel) that are in the way. Need a strong drill and a sharp bit.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#9 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

I wouldn't do anything until I tried it and see what it needs. Cheaper that way and you haven't bought something you didn't need, with the exception of upgrading tires and wheels to LT and better shocks.

Tires are like trucks, we all have our personal preferences. I won't run anything but Toyo!! As far as shocks check out Rancho 9000x before you buy. They are very popular with truck campers as they are adjustable from no load to a heavy camper. Rides much nicer empty.

I do not like air bags but unfortunately they are a necessary evil on my truck. My Northstar is heavier on one side so I have to have the adjustability of the bags. And that is all they are designed for, leveling your loaded rig. If you want to add to the suspension to control sway then I suggest STEEL!!! I would go to a spring shop and have them increase or build a set of overloads with extended bump stops for the weight of the camper and will not affect empty ride!!! Roadmaster anti sway bar is another good choice.

If you do find you have to go with air bags make sure you plumb them separately!!! Hooked together they can actually increase sway!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#10 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with Hawk. Added Air bags, easy to do the drill and install. Also added Helweg sway bar. The bags are needed to level out the weight. The sway bar works so well I should have added to the Tundra before I added the Hawk.

Bill in Stockton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users