13 replies to this topic

#11 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:05 AM

I just had Firestone Ride-Rite airbags installed on my 06 Tundra AC. It's TRD with 18" wheels.
The issue is that there's only a quarter inch clearance between the 'bags and the inside of the tire.
The installation specs call for 1/2" clearance. Is this ok?

I've just returned from our maiden voyage with the 08 Hawk camper on the back of the truck. We drove pot-holed
dirt for 5-10 miles and did some 4WD low in river cobbles. No problems, no rubbing.

I'm having my local camper shop (installer of 'bags) call Firestone on monday to see if we should shim out my wheels.
And yes, they had to drill the frame to do the install. Better them than me!

Andy

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#12 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

I just had Firestone Ride-Rite airbags installed on my 06 Tundra AC. It's TRD with 18" wheels.
The issue is that there's only a quarter inch clearance between the 'bags and the inside of the tire.
The installation specs call for 1/2" clearance. Is this ok?

I've just returned from our maiden voyage with the 08 Hawk camper on the back of the truck. We drove pot-holed
dirt for 5-10 miles and did some 4WD low in river cobbles. No problems, no rubbing.

I'm having my local camper shop (installer of 'bags) call Firestone on monday to see if we should shim out my wheels.
And yes, they had to drill the frame to do the install. Better them than me!

Andy

It's not OK if you ever need to use chains!! :(
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#13 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

Yikes! Good point about chains. I hadn't thought about that.

But since I've owned 4WD vehicles, going back to the early 90's, I've never had to put those suckers on.
And I live where it snows, sometimes a couple of feet, and like to go to Donner Summit when it's blizzard
conditions for the powder skiing.

So, I don't know if the chains are a deal breaker. I've looked closely and so far I see no rubbing.
Still I want Firestone's opinion on the install.

Andy

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#14 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

Good info Bill. I added the airbags, still experimenting with correct psi. I started at 40 psi, but the last two days I've tried 50 psi. Seems that the rear end sits a bit high, but a bit stiffer with less sway. I researched the Helwigs after reading your post and they sound like a good way to go. I found a great tutorial over on Tundrasolutions.com that explains the installation, but I'll still have a shop do the work. I don't have air wrenches, and my weekends are too valuable to spend wrenching on my rig!

Andy
Nevada City

I have a 2005 Tundra 4x4 TRD with Hawk. Added Air bags, easy to do the drill and install. Also added Helweg sway bar. The bags are needed to level out the weight. The sway bar works so well I should have added to the Tundra before I added the Hawk.

Bill in Stockton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users