17 replies to this topic

#1 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:30 AM

Hi all,
I am new here but have been lurking for a while. I am a few months away from ordering a new ATC, FWC, or Phoenix camper for my 91 Dodge diesel.

So I am reading past posts (and learning lots) and there is a discussion about Zodi portable showers. Someone writes that the shower head keeps breaking and someone else suggests using a garden type head which I assume is the kind that attaches to a garden hose.

However I later think, what if they meant: use the pump up pressure type garden atomizer sprayer? So I try it out and it takes a while to get wet and to rise off but it works fine and only uses a half gallon of water which means it is easy to heat up a small amount of water in a stove top pot. Also less water to deal with makes it a lot more feasible to set up an in camper temporary shower stall. A ten buck garden atomizer (it needs a longer hose) instead of $150 buck plus Zodi and no battery operated pump needed.

So is this a great innovation that I have come up with or is this old hat/reinvent the wheel/ everybody already knows about this?
[attachment=9439:shower2.jpg]
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

Hi all,
I am new here but have been lurking for a while. I am a few months away from ordering a new ATC, FWC, or Phoenix camper for my 91 Dodge diesel.

So I am reading past posts (and learning lots) and there is a discussion about Zodi portable showers. Someone writes that the shower head keeps breaking and someone else suggests using a garden type head which I assume is the kind that attaches to a garden hose.

However I later think, what if they meant: use the pump up pressure type garden atomizer sprayer? So I try it out and it takes a while to get wet and to rise off but it works fine and only uses a half gallon of water which means it is easy to heat up a small amount of water in a stove top pot. Also less water to deal with makes it a lot more feasible to set up an in camper temporary shower stall. A ten buck garden atomizer (it needs a longer hose) instead of $150 buck plus Zodi and no battery operated pump needed.

So is this a great innovation that I have come up with or is this old hat/reinvent the wheel/ everybody already knows about this?
[attachment=9439:shower2.jpg]

Yep. This is what was suggested as an inexpensive alternative to the Zodi in one of the threads. I believe it was also suggested that a dish sprayer head be used to get better water volume with a better on/off control than the Zodi has, but you'd no doubt then use more than a half gallon...

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

I have, on cloudy days, just heated water on my stove and poured it into my solar shower bag. Very simple, very cheap.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

I have, on cloudy days, just heated water on my stove and poured it into my solar shower bag. Very simple, very cheap.

x2

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

A friend of mine attaches a kitchen faucet sprayer hose to his sink drain outlet. He then fills the sink with water, steps outside and showers...
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

x3

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Well, sort of. We heat a little water, fill a 3 litter cheap water bottle, and take turns pouring it over each other as a quick outside shower.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

For an outside shower I really like the idea of filling the sink with hot water and attaching a tube and shower head to the sink drain spigot.
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

For an outside shower I really like the idea of filling the sink with hot water and attaching a tube and shower head to the sink drain spigot.

Just watch out for that 1st cup or two :o
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#10 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

Posted Image

That’s what I use for the desert and other arid areas where water can precious, except mine is a ½ gallon sprayer from ACE Hardware. I first tried it out in the house bathtub to make sure I could get a decent bath with ½ gallon of water. Works great! I don’t bother with hot water in it. It’s more exhilarating with cold water.

If I have access to a relatively clean natural water source, I use my solar shower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users