• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Yes, Burning Man. Anyone else going? My wife and I attended last year with a few friends but took our '71 Airstream. This year, I figure our Grandby shell will be easier to clean. We're going to give it another shot. Not sure I want to make it an annual habit at this point. It is one of the more unusual events I've ever attended.

On the tarp question, one option I'm considering is to tie a tarp off to the Yakima roof rack. I have two bars in the rear holding up a "basket case". I've thought I could mount one more bar up toward the front and then come off the passenger side to some stout aluminum poles that can be staked out with multiple lines. Rebar for stakes.

TK

#12 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

Well, here it is. Wife not included.

Some thoughts on my first test:
-this pic is a little deceiving as the truck is on a significant slope. My wife's feet are a good 6-8" lower than the rear tire, but you can't tell from the pic.
-some guy lines for winds greater than about 12mpg are necessary (the ones pictured are a jerry-rigged combination of cord, bungies and the dog's zip line)
-stock poles worked just fine
-Need a better mechanism to secure poles to jack brackets. I used a cord threaded through a hole I drilled in the base of the pole. Would really like something just a tad more "fixed" in place.
-love having shade over the back door
-One could easily use a longer awning if they chose to stake down the poles and not jack mount them. I usually don't have the patience to rig properly though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-08-15-Penitente-(55).jpg

Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Yes, Burning Man. Anyone else going? My wife and I attended last year with a few friends but took our '71 Airstream. This year, I figure our Grandby shell will be easier to clean. We're going to give it another shot. Not sure I want to make it an annual habit at this point. It is one of the more unusual events I've ever attended.

TK

I've been twice...nothing like it on the planet. Sensory overload for sure. Have fun!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Some thoughts on my first test:

-stock poles worked just fine

-Need a better mechanism to secure poles to jack brackets. I used a cord threaded through a hole I drilled in the base of the pole. Would really like something just a tad more "fixed" in place.

Nice awning. I like your rigging job, Brett :)

Are you using shockcorded aluminum tent poles? Where did you get them?

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#15 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Are you using shockcorded aluminum tent poles? Where did you get them?

Stew

Yes they are shockcorded aluminum tent poles. I *think* these came from REI or Campmor, but I've had them laying around for a while. Used a much smaller version for the crossbar along the front edge. Interestingly, even though I didn't attach it to the other poles, it never pinched in or needed a tie. The crossbar keeps the fabric nice and open and requires less work with guy lines. Just need to keep the ends from blowing away and not necessarily staked tight in each direction.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#16 davidshourd

davidshourd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:52 AM

well I finally pulled the trigger on an ARB awning, trdparts4u.com is having a sweet sale, an 8' awning for 230 shipped. reg over 325, plus shipping. not sure how long the sale is going on, but best deal I have seen on these types of awnings in the year and a half I have been looking. it shipped the next day after order, and should get here by the end of the week. my thought with it is to make some mount points that will allow me to switch it from side to side or back. here at this link you can see the alum extrusion used on the back: http://www.expeditio...ead.php?t=44502

and here is a link of it deployed on another vehicle: http://www.expeditio...ead.php?t=16266

would be real easy to just perma-mount it to one side, but I think I have a challenge to make a mount that can be quickly attached to and is secure enough. thinkingduring travel I would just mount it up on the roof, so the side mounts do not need to be road worthy, just camp worthy. any thought?
2008 FWC Eagle, 3 way fridge, heat, custom cabinet top/side hatch, solar charge system. all that sitting on an 07' Nissan Frontier, lifted, locked and ready.

#17 Mushhuskies

Mushhuskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:24 PM

Re: Burning Man

My wife and I are going to attend this year and taking the Grandby. How did your FWC work for you last year at the event? Any suggestions? I'm curious as to how your awnings survived? I figure we'll just take ours down every nite when we're out and about in case wind or somesuch pops up. Its our first time attending, it just seems like its at least a once in a lifetime thing!

On the tarp question, one option I'm considering is to tie a tarp off to the Yakima roof rack. I have two bars in the rear holding up a "basket case". I've thought I could mount one more bar up toward the front and then come off the passenger side to some stout aluminum poles that can be staked out with multiple lines. Rebar for stakes.

TK

Mushhuskies 2005 Toyota Tundra with a 2003 Granby Shell

#18 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

LOW TEC REAR AWNING MOD:

Someone else has probably posted this as a solution, but I am unable to find it if they have. So, pardon me if this is a duplicate.

I purchased the standard rear awning option from FWC. It detaches from a channel and I found it to be a storage issue. So,... 1). Cut four channels with a Dremmel and drill in the extrusion to accept retainer straps. 2). Removed the pole retainer pockets from the awning and reposition (sew) them in place on the top bottom of the awning material.

Now I am able to roll up the awning and poles and strap it up out of the way. It does not interfere with the marker lights. Thought I'd head that one off. It also deploys with the bike in place.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Kispiox, 19 April 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#19 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

There's a thread on Expedition Portal call "Show us pictures of your awning" or something like that.  You can get really good ideas of how others of built their own awning frames and hardware they used.  Some are first rate and others just so so.

#20 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

Could you offer a little more direction please.  

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users