58 replies to this topic

#41 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Craig, my wife and I did several trips to Baja in the 90's, all into Baja Sur and one to the tip. The only spanish I spoke was a few phrases remembered from my high school spanish course. All you really need to know is to be polite, explain you don't speak the language, and, like Sunman said, have the dictionary handy. It is amazing how quickly you can pick it up. Within a week you will be able to ask directions and order food pretty well.

I smell a rally!! KC, You in??

Like I said, it was the 90's when I was there last. I've been really itching for a return trip lately but don't know how we can arrange the time off. Sunman's TR didn't help. KC, we don't drink tequila and have never surfed, but Baja is still magical to us. You need to make a trip there. If it becomes a rally, we may just need to take some time off unpaid. My ideal would be Laguna San Ignacio in March for the friendly whales.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#42 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:35 AM

Sunman, Thanks for the great report. Damn, I miss Baja! Hey Jay, put at trip together for Spring! Bring your pencil.Photo 73 of 124_1.jpeg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#43 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

OK. I am Re Stoked! "I showed Pam the pix and she said if we can "get 1 or 2 more vehicles lets do it." So I'm thinking spring (en la laguna con las belenas) or summer 2011. We'll go in through Mexicali but you west coasters can go in wherever and we can meet up. Or we can all go in through Mexicali avoiding TJ and San Quintin. I'm waiting to hear from Gene Rubin. I'm pretty sure he and Phil Salazar would be up for it as well. I gotta thank Sunny for re inspiring me to head for one of my very favorite place on this or any other planet.

C'mon DD you first Baja trip!!!

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#44 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

I am up for it as long as Anne is willing and able. Michael would be coming as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• img088.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#45 oldtbone

oldtbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Sunman,
My wife and I have been ardent Baja travelers starting in the late 60's up until a few years ago. We especially like the remote beaches on the central Pacific coast. Our rig is very similar to yours. We began seeing suspicious activities on the beach(pangas with bullet holes, very non-camper, non-fisherman, non-surfer looking guys in nice pickups coming and going at all hours, etc) which in conjunction with the border craziness made us leery of travel there. You don't mention any problems, so I'm assuming you had none. Any wisdom to impart?

#46 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Sunman, My wife and I have been ardent Baja travelers starting in the late 60's up until a few years ago. We especially like the remote beaches on the central Pacific coast. Our rig is very similar to yours. We began seeing suspicious activities on the beach(pangas with bullet holes, very non-camper, non-fisherman, non-surfer looking guys in nice pickups coming and going at all hours, etc) which in conjunction with the border craziness made us leery of travel there. You don't mention any problems, so I'm assuming you had none. Any wisdom to impart?

Oldtbone, I am familiar with the remote central Pacific coast you speak of, in fact I made two spearate week long trips through the entire area just this past winter. I stopped at many fish camps but I did not see any of the sketchy scenes you speak of. The area is so remote that I'm sure there must be some questionable activities that take place out there, in my mind they are not concerned about me. If I saw questionable activities I would put my head down and keep moving as you probably did.
No wisdom to impart, I would venture to say you have far more experience than me with 40 years of Baja travel under your belt! Basic rules still apply. Don't let all of these stories keep you away, off the beaten path Baja is still pretty much the same as it ever was.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#47 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Thank you, SunMan.

Thank you.

#48 oldtbone

oldtbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Sunman,
Thanks for the reply. My copilot appreciated your response.

#49 d tree's

d tree's

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSO Cal

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:33 AM

Sun Man that was awesome , anybody ever go to PUNTA SAN FRANCISQUITO one of my favorite places all time haven't been there in about 15 years hope it isnt ruined , I really miss old Baja ,D

#50 stoef

stoef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:48 AM

Every time I've gone down, I would turn off for "Rabbit Pt." as well, both on the way down and back up. And every time I would pull in it seems to be the windiest place on the entire peninsula. Still, I keep going back and still haven't gotten wet there! Great pics, great trip. You re-ignighted the Baja fever in me! Thanks for sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users