#21 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:11 AM

The diesel short bed is 3000#, I don't know where your numbers come from but they are off base.

They certainly could be, I would have expected them to be higher. My reference was an '02 model year Ford publication referencing slide-in campers - page 5. And I used the term "payload", probably incorrectly. The publication's numbers actually refer to "cargo weight rating" which was related to camper selection and doesn't take passengers into consideration.

Attached Files

'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

#22 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

There is no question the 3/4 ton is a lot more truck. Regardless of what the weight ratings are, the 3/4 ton trucks use full floating axles and are heavier duty in every way, frame, brakes, just about everywhere you look. If you have ever worked on pickup trucks you know what I am referring to. In my opinion, a 3/4 ton truck is a lot closer to a 1 ton truck than it is to a half ton. Thus, if you need more capacity, then the 3/4 ton truck is the way to go.

HOWEVER ... no one really needs a 3/4 ton to haul a light weight camper, if that is all you are hauling. By unnecessary gear for expedition travel, I mean extra passengers, excessive gear, four wheelers, Jeeps, boats, and other gear actually intended for destination style camping. Heavier duty trucks, 3/4 ton and 1 ton are a lot more expensive, when compared to a basic standard cab half ton. In addition, one can choose to go down one or two more notches to a medium size or mini size truck and we all know at least two good companies that build excellent light weight campers for these smaller lighter trucks. Smaller trucks are less expensive to buy, to keep up, and to feed. Most importantly, the light weight pop up campers are superbly engineered just for the outdoors people who want lighter more efficient rigs while having a degree of comfort too. Believe me, I know from experience, you can travel a long way in good comfort with a half ton truck and a Four Wheel Camper. In this day an time, with more expensive fuel, either diesel, gas, or alcohol, it makes sense to move away from 3/4 ton, 1 ton, and heavier truck campers and toward lighter rigs. I think you will go exploring more often and to more places with a lighter rig. For me, this is about traveling in the outdoors and not about the truck, which is just a tool to get the job done, hopefully without wasting resources.

Some people go to a camp site for a week, a month, or 10 years. These are not expedition campers but destination campers. The only fuel they burn is from home to the camp site and back. These folks can justify heavier rigs. But travelers and explorers should go light. Now, there is another type of expedition camper, those who are trying to prove something, such as driving a diesel truck to the top of Mt. Everest, the South Pole, etc. I am not addressing those rare elite folks. I might include hunters here, people who have another purpose than just traveling and must prepare for comfort in bad weather. I take my camper when and where the weather is good. Wheels allow you to go north in summer and south in winter.

A shell is also an excellent camping rig. I have use them extensively myself. The primary difference between a shell and a pop up camper is the convenience of being able to stand up inside the camper once you are popped up and on the camp site. I have paid my dues getting dressed bent over in a shell. And finally, there is a cultural thing about checking into a nice resort campground with a shell. You get a better reception with a nice looking camper. _John D

#23 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

I wonder (always have) if a narrow camper ie; Eagle or Ranger model would fit in a step side truck?

Would my Ranger model fit in a '02 Tundra step side?? Stan?
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#24 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hey TT

The Eagle or Ranger Models are still too wide to fit in the Tundra Step-Side trucks.

Some people really like the look of the "step-side" trucks, but after working here for many years, I would never buy a "step-side" truck if you are thinking about have a camper on the truck.

Just not much fits in those darn beds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder (always have) if a narrow camper ie; Eagle or Ranger model would fit in a step side truck?

Would my Ranger model fit in a '02 Tundra step side?? Stan?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#25 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for clarifying Stan...Fantasy over..
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users