36 replies to this topic

#1 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

Well after much deliberation and research I see a set of Deaver springs in my future. I have been reading every thread I can find and have talked to several folks including Alcan and General Spring as well and the folks at Wheelers Offroad.

I was very impressed with some of the work and creative problem solving that Deaver has done in the past so I decided to give them a call. Jeff at Deaver took the time to ask exactly how I use the truck and what I expected to get from a set of custom springs before he put some suggestions together for me. When all was said and done, he suggested a "two" stage pack consisting of the following: 6-7 ride springs on top of 4 or 3 thicker "overload" springs that would be semi inverted. There are some details to work out but essentially what this should give me is a "reasonable" ride when I am empty (though I am sure a few sand bags will make it more reasonable), when the camper is loaded for a short outing (1-week)the entire weight will be handled by the springpack, when the camper is loaded for me and my wife and kid for a week I will probably need to level with the air bags, and when I am loaded for expedition type travel I will need a little more help from the bags. The airbags will solely be used for leveling and will not be integral in the suspension in case of failure. I feel that is is a fairly good compromise and allows me to continue to use my truck as a daily driver.

Once I pull the trigger on this it will take them about 3-weeks to make the springs and then I will drive down to Santa Ana (camper loaded) to have them put on and have them "Tweak" anything.

Does anyone out there have any feedback on Deaver other than what is on the Taco forums and on Expedition Portal?

Cort

01 Toyota Tacoma V6 (177,000 mi and counting)
ATC Bobcat
OME 882 coils in the front
Bilstein 5100's all around
Ride Rite Air Bags (Mounting brackets boxed out as well as frame)
ARB Front Bumper
Rear Swing out Bumper (still working on this one)

#2 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

Well after much deliberation and research I see a set of Deaver springs in my future. I have been reading every thread I can find and have talked to several folks including Alcan and General Spring as well and the folks at Wheelers Offroad.

I was very impressed with some of the work and creative problem solving that Deaver has done in the past so I decided to give them a call. Jeff at Deaver took the time to ask exactly how I use the truck and what I expected to get from a set of custom springs before he put some suggestions together for me. When all was said and done, he suggested a "two" stage pack consisting of the following: 6-7 ride springs on top of 4 or 3 thicker "overload" springs that would be semi inverted. There are some details to work out but essentially what this should give me is a "reasonable" ride when I am empty (though I am sure a few sand bags will make it more reasonable), when the camper is loaded for a short outing (1-week)the entire weight will be handled by the springpack, when the camper is loaded for me and my wife and kid for a week I will probably need to level with the air bags, and when I am loaded for expedition type travel I will need a little more help from the bags. The airbags will solely be used for leveling and will not be integral in the suspension in case of failure. I feel that is is a fairly good compromise and allows me to continue to use my truck as a daily driver.

Once I pull the trigger on this it will take them about 3-weeks to make the springs and then I will drive down to Santa Ana (camper loaded) to have them put on and have them "Tweak" anything.

Does anyone out there have any feedback on Deaver other than what is on the Taco forums and on Expedition Portal?

Cort

01 Toyota Tacoma V6 (177,000 mi and counting)
ATC Bobcat
OME 882 coils in the front
Bilstein 5100's all around
Ride Rite Air Bags (Mounting brackets boxed out as well as frame)
ARB Front Bumper
Rear Swing out Bumper (still working on this one)

Cort, I have two trucks, an 03 F250, and an 08 Tacoma, Deaver springs are on both. There is no better so you can stop looking and start getting.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#3 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

Thanks fisherman....glad to hear you have had good luck with these guys. I have not heard a bad thing yet but thought I would put it out there.

you are down in Shelter Cove right? hows your summer been down there....pretty mild up here on the 299.

Thanks for the input and fish on

Cort

#4 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:11 AM

[quote name='Cort' date='23 August 2010 - 11:55 PM' timestamp='1282604108' post='39373']

Hey Cort,

As usual, we are a step or two behind you. If you recall, we picked up our Bobcat a few weeks after you and mounted it on our 06 Tacoma. Using a set of airbags and load range E tires only, we just returned from a month long, 9,000 mile trip to Canada and Alaska. All went extremely well, however, the whole time the air bags were in the back of my mind. I have decided to beef up the rear springs and take some of the stress off of the bags. The system that you are describing from Deaver sounds perfect. I will be following your progress closely. Good luck with it.

Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:14 AM

Get those springs on yet?

David Bybee 2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 2004 Tundra DC 1998 Alaskan 10' Cabover

#6 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

Nope...getting them installed early October....that is the earliest I can make it down there

Cort

#7 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I talked to my friend Junior, now at 4 Wheel Parts in San Diego, about springs. I never knew ‎much about them. He suggested Deaver (http://www.deaverspring.com/). Deaver makes ‎a lot of springs for high-speed go-fast empty Tundra trucks. But they also make springs ‎for any application. While I was there they were making customs for a new Ford Raptor ‎pickup. Ford uses plain old F-150 springs on their Raptor with spacers.‎

After talking to Jeff at Deaver:

If I understand it right “progressive rate” springs are better for several reasons. They are ‎thinner and flex better. Thus while a Tundra comes with three thick springs plus a bottom ‎overload spring (4 total) – the replacement set I got is eight springs plus two overloads on ‎the bottom (10 total).‎

Secondly thinner springs and more of them can be less prone to being flattened out while ‎under load and the bouncing of offroading. This makes them less prone to breaking. ‎Junior at ORW has seen broken OEM springs that off-roaded with weight in bed.

Let it be said that the best way to get them right is to take it to Deaver’s shop. If he sees ‎your vehicle he will do the best job. There have been times when customers have called ‎up thinking they know how many leaves and such they need but were wrong. Deaver ‎made good on them, but had he seen the vehicle in person, he would have gotten it right. ‎Springs are a very application specific.‎

I went to his shop and in two hours he had ‎pulled the springs off, installed the new pack, and off to In-and ‎Out I went to get a burger.‎

When I put the camper on truck originally it sank about 4 inches and was low in the ‎back. It hit the bumpstops easily. Now it rides right again and is not hitting the bump ‎stops. Did well on my last couple of trips.

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#8 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

I agree!

I have talked to Jeff a few times so he could get an idea of what kind of driving I do and what my weight requirements are. I will be traveling down to Deaver's with my rig set up for a typical week long trip so that we can get the setup just right.

I would much rather have them install them so that they can do the fine tuning right there at the shop.

Everyone that I have come across that has dealt with Deaver had great things to say about them.

I am getting them installed on October 11 and then it is off to the WTW Pork Rally

Cheers,

Cort

I talked to my friend Junior, now at 4 Wheel Parts in San Diego, about springs. I never knew ‎much about them. He suggested Deaver (http://www.deaverspring.com/). Deaver makes ‎a lot of springs for high-speed go-fast empty Tundra trucks. But they also make springs ‎for any application. While I was there they were making customs for a new Ford Raptor ‎pickup. Ford uses plain old F-150 springs on their Raptor with spacers.‎

After talking to Jeff at Deaver:

If I understand it right “progressive rate” springs are better for several reasons. They are ‎thinner and flex better. Thus while a Tundra comes with three thick springs plus a bottom ‎overload spring (4 total) – the replacement set I got is eight springs plus two overloads on ‎the bottom (10 total).‎

Secondly thinner springs and more of them can be less prone to being flattened out while ‎under load and the bouncing of offroading. This makes them less prone to breaking. ‎Junior at ORW has seen broken OEM springs that off-roaded with weight in bed.

Let it be said that the best way to get them right is to take it to Deaver’s shop. If he sees ‎your vehicle he will do the best job. There have been times when customers have called ‎up thinking they know how many leaves and such they need but were wrong. Deaver ‎made good on them, but had he seen the vehicle in person, he would have gotten it right. ‎Springs are a very application specific.‎

I went to his shop and in two hours he had ‎pulled the springs off, installed the new pack, and off to In-and ‎Out I went to get a burger.‎

When I put the camper on truck originally it sank about 4 inches and was low in the ‎back. It hit the bumpstops easily. Now it rides right again and is not hitting the bump ‎stops. Did well on my last couple of trips.

#9 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Hey All,
This is an interesting discussion and i've been thinking of upgrading my springs. Currently I have the TSB (4 leaf) springs on my 08 Tacoma along with Ride-Rite air bags.

I like the sound of better springs to work with or supplement the air bags, but they (Deaver) remove the overload springs and, at least on Wheeler's website, they specifically note that weight handling capacity will be decreased.

Thoughts,
Rob
Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#10 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

I installed the 10-leaf Deaver custom springs on my 2000 Tundra prior to mounting the Hawk camper. The springs helped out a great deal....but I found that I still needed to install air springs to level things out.

Don't forget to extend your brake bracket to compensate for the stiffer springs so your brake proprtioning valve functions correctly.

Here's a good link to read about the issue:
http://www.wanderthe...__fromsearch__1

Attached Thumbnails

• brake_bracket.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users