36 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hey Cort, do you have an update and photos for us? We are interested in how the installation went and how you like the finished job and performance. Thanks!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

The idea was to install a custom pack of springs that would eliminate the "need" for air bags. The springs that Deaver built for me are capable of carrying my camper fully loaded. They are not production Deaver Springs we are talking about. You are correct if you buy them from an offroad shop you lose your overloads....those springs are designed for high speed off road travel and have a lot more flex and range of motion. I worked with Jeff Deaver to build a custom pack. I have six ride springs, 2 medium duty springs, and 2 overload springs. So far I love them. With the air bags completely deflated the trucks rides a little low in the back but there is still plenty of spring travel left.....this is exactly what I wanted. So basically the springs are carrying all of the weight and the bags are just being used for leveling. After I got the springs installed I traveled up the East side (left bag at 25 right bag at 15) and headed up into Coyote Valley (air all tires down and deflated right bag to 8 and left bag to 18) . I was extremely impressed with how the truck drove....It was like a totally different truck. I then drove easier routes after I met up with SimiMike in Bishop.

The install at Deaver was fairly straight forward...well at least for me. The truck is fairly old, 2001 model, so the guys at Deaver had to cut off some of the old mounting hardware with a cutting torch as they could not break the bolts loose...They also re-worked my shackles as they were almost completely frozen. Out the door I spent a little more than $1,000, which I think is a totally fair price considering the extra labor that was involved with getting the old equipment off.

I would recommend that anyone going this route take the time to go down to Deaver or wherever and have them installed onsite. If I would have had the springs shipped I think it would have been a bit of a nightmare getting the work done right and in a timely manner. The guys at Deaver are awesome and a very friendly bunch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cort

Hey All,
This is an interesting discussion and i've been thinking of upgrading my springs. Currently I have the TSB (4 leaf) springs on my 08 Tacoma along with Ride-Rite air bags.

I like the sound of better springs to work with or supplement the air bags, but they (Deaver) remove the overload springs and, at least on Wheeler's website, they specifically note that weight handling capacity will be decreased.

Thoughts,
Rob

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Cort, thanks much for the great photos and critique of the springs. This will really help in our, and I bet others, decision making.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

No problem....let me know if you have any other questions. I have been driving the truck for a week now without the camper on and while it is a bit rough, especially when compared to a wimpy stock Taco Suspension, it is not horrible.

Still no complaints,

Cort

Cort, thanks much for the great photos and critique of the springs. This will really help in our, and I bet others, decision making.

#15 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

Cort,

Did you do any mods to the front suspension?

RJ
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#16 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

good review Cort!

How does the truck feel when empty? In my case, which might be similar to yours, my truck has a cap on it for 90% of the time. During the summer i might leave the camper on for a few months at a time. Its always a delicate balance trying to find the sweet spot between the two extremes of loaded and unloaded.

Thanks!
Rob

The idea was to install a custom pack of springs that would eliminate the "need" for air bags. The springs that Deaver built for me are capable of carrying my camper fully loaded. They are not production Deaver Springs we are talking about. You are correct if you buy them from an offroad shop you lose your overloads....those springs are designed for high speed off road travel and have a lot more flex and range of motion. I worked with Jeff Deaver to build a custom pack. I have six ride springs, 2 medium duty springs, and 2 overload springs. So far I love them. With the air bags completely deflated the trucks rides a little low in the back but there is still plenty of spring travel left.....this is exactly what I wanted. So basically the springs are carrying all of the weight and the bags are just being used for leveling. After I got the springs installed I traveled up the East side (left bag at 25 right bag at 15) and headed up into Coyote Valley (air all tires down and deflated right bag to 8 and left bag to 18) . I was extremely impressed with how the truck drove....It was like a totally different truck. I then drove easier routes after I met up with SimiMike in Bishop.

The install at Deaver was fairly straight forward...well at least for me. The truck is fairly old, 2001 model, so the guys at Deaver had to cut off some of the old mounting hardware with a cutting torch as they could not break the bolts loose...They also re-worked my shackles as they were almost completely frozen. Out the door I spent a little more than $1,000, which I think is a totally fair price considering the extra labor that was involved with getting the old equipment off.

I would recommend that anyone going this route take the time to go down to Deaver or wherever and have them installed onsite. If I would have had the springs shipped I think it would have been a bit of a nightmare getting the work done right and in a timely manner. The guys at Deaver are awesome and a very friendly bunch.

Cort

Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#17 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

Cort,

Did you do any mods to the front suspension?

RJ

Yes I did. I installed the Medium Duty OME coils and the Adjustable Bilstein 5100's. Made a huge difference. The combo completely eliminated the brake dive that is common in Tacoma's. I think people ignore the front end to often

Cort

#18 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

good review Cort!

How does the truck feel when empty? In my case, which might be similar to yours, my truck has a cap on it for 90% of the time. During the summer i might leave the camper on for a few months at a time. Its always a delicate balance trying to find the sweet spot between the two extremes of loaded and unloaded.

Thanks!
Rob

Rob,

Well this summer I pretty much left the camper on. I just recently took it off....I have not put my shell back on. The truck rides rough but nothing out of control. To be honest with you it just feels like a truck with a real suspension.....the kind of ride I remember from when I was a kid driving down the road in my Dad's Chevy C-30. The ride does not bother me at all......though I don't think I would want to drive it on a freeway with concrete expansion joints for and extended period of time. I live in a rural part of Northern California so most of my driving is 2-lane mountain highway, 2-lane roads, and dirt. I did significantly air my tires (Load Range E) down....25 front and 20 rear. I used the chalk test to make sure that the tires weren't to low. I think once I put my shell back on and put a few sand bags in the back, which I do normally in the winter, the ride will be just fine.

The compromise was totally worth it for me,

Cort

#19 Tradmonkey

Tradmonkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

Rob,

Well this summer I pretty much left the camper on. I just recently took it off....I have not put my shell back on. The truck rides rough but nothing out of control. To be honest with you it just feels like a truck with a real suspension.....the kind of ride I remember from when I was a kid driving down the road in my Dad's Chevy C-30. The ride does not bother me at all......though I don't think I would want to drive it on a freeway with concrete expansion joints for and extended period of time. I live in a rural part of Northern California so most of my driving is 2-lane mountain highway, 2-lane roads, and dirt. I did significantly air my tires (Load Range E) down....25 front and 20 rear. I used the chalk test to make sure that the tires weren't to low. I think once I put my shell back on and put a few sand bags in the back, which I do normally in the winter, the ride will be just fine.

The compromise was totally worth it for me,

Cort

Very nice! I just ordered a custom pack from National Spring Company (they're just down the street from me) and should have it installed in my "new" 2001 Tacoma in a couple of weeks. Since my camper essentially lives on my truck, I decided to have them build the pack specifically for my needs as well. When I have them installed, I plan on upgrading the shocks as well, probably to the adjustable Rancho 9000 recommended by the guys at the spring shop. I'll be sure to report back the results.

'01 Tacoma 4x4 + '92 FWC Ranger II
San Diego Mountain Rescue Team | www.TradMonkey.com
HAM Call: KJ6HOT

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:24 AM

Cort, now that you had these for about 6 months or so, how about an update on your review? We would appreciate it, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users