• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

No problem....let me know if you have any other questions. I have been driving the truck for a week now without the camper on and while it is a bit rough, especially when compared to a wimpy stock Taco Suspension, it is not horrible.

Still no complaints,

Cort

I had a set of custom Deaver springs made at his shop for my 2001 Tundra. With the Hawk camper on they were just right. They got the truck back to stock position with the load on.

I decided to buy a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel and put the camper on it. I kept the Tundra for dump runs and such. I found that after awhile the Deaver springs on the Tundra, without the camper on, was a little rough. It was ok for a few days but not permanently. I decided to take the Deavers off and put back on the stock ones I had kept.

If anyone is needing some Deavers for a Tundra let me know.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Offroading/First-Trip-in-the-Tundra-with/12636256_e9Jye#908003810_yhRFM

Keith
barnesclan@hotmail.com

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#22 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

Are you going to do anything with the springs on the Dodge?
David Bybee 2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 2004 Tundra DC 1998 Alaskan 10' Cabover

#23 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:28 AM

I am so glad that I decided to put the Deaver springs on. As of this point I have no complaints. With the camper on I could not be happier with the way the suspension has worked out. The truck is solid and carries the load very well. I also use this truck as my daily driver when the camper is off....I have had no problems. It does ride stiff but I find that to be a relief from Toyota's stock suspension which I would characterize as weak. Its a truck so it should ride like one. I do have a three sand bags in the back to help with the ride when the camper is not on...I do run the tires soft with the camper off.

I wish I would have started this adventure with Deaver or something similar instead of going the airbag route and realizing that its just really not up for the task.

Cort

#24 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Cort, thanks so much for your update. I've talked with a spring shop down in the Sacramento area and I've talked with Jeff at Deaver. The shop in Sacramento recommends rearching my stock springs and adding another bottom overload making a total 5 leaf pack. Jeff is recommending a custom 10 leaf pack.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#25 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Cort, thanks so much for your update. I've talked with a spring shop down in the Sacramento area and I've talked with Jeff at Deaver. The shop in Sacramento recommends rearching my stock springs and adding another bottom overload making a total 5 leaf pack. Jeff is recommending a custom 10 leaf pack.

Re-arching your stock springs will only work if your stock leaves are in good shape....in addition re-arching will wear out over time. Adding another overload is really going to stiffen your ride. My Deaver 10 pack is what Jeff calls a semi progression spring pack....meaning you have seven ride springs...relatively small leaves with lots of flex (smooth ride) and 3 overloads for the real heavy weight.....I really think this is the best of both worlds. If I were your I would just get the Custom Deaver Pack and be done with it. I gave all my weights to Jeff....he asked how I used the Truck and what kind of performance I expected to get out of the leaf pack. When I went to have them installed he hit it exactly right and like I said I am extremely happy.

Cort

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:52 AM

Looks like we are following in your tire tracks, Cort. Thanks for posting your experiences and also thanks to others who have added comments.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Very nice! I just ordered a custom pack from National Spring Company (they're just down the street from me) and should have it installed in my "new" 2001 Tacoma in a couple of weeks. Since my camper essentially lives on my truck, I decided to have them build the pack specifically for my needs as well. When I have them installed, I plan on upgrading the shocks as well, probably to the adjustable Rancho 9000 recommended by the guys at the spring shop. I'll be sure to report back the results.

Hi Tradmonkey. Being local to National Springs as well, curious if you got yours installed and how you like them? I am considering using NS for my Dodge and just talked to them today. I need to get the front and rear weights so we can work out springs.

Anyone else with National Springs want to comment?

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#28 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:51 AM

I had National Springs on the '83 Toyota truck and was impressed with them. This past year I had them make me a custom set of four coils for the 4 Runner. They do the leaf springs there and have thier sister company design and make the coils elsewhere.

The first set of coils were not right and working with Ben they were re-made and ended up getting what I wanted. Just a bummer that it took longer and more of my labor to change them out.

Yes I would go with them again, but I have not tried anybody else either.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#29 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

I had National Springs on the '83 Toyota truck and was impressed with them. This past year I had them make me a custom set of four coils for the 4 Runner. They do the leaf springs there and have thier sister company design and make the coils elsewhere.

The first set of coils were not right and working with Ben they were re-made and ended up getting what I wanted. Just a bummer that it took longer and more of my labor to change them out.

Yes I would go with them again, but I have not tried anybody else either.

Thanks for the info. I finally got some time to get the truck weight front and rear. Front is about 4300 lbs, rear is about 3700 lbs. That's truck (full tank), camper (full water) and me (full from lunch). That Cummins is a heavy sucker. Posted Image Happy I am under the GVW of 8800 lbs. so I got a little wiggle room for gear and the wife and dog.

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#30 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:35 AM

Good productive day today. We ordered a custom Deaver set, seven leaf pack. Trusting Jeff's judgement and experience here with the weights and info I supplied to him. The set showed up here the last week of June, six weeks from ordering. We cleaned up under the truck Thursday night and applied liquid wrench to all the bolts & nuts and removed the camper. Started this morning and had the new springs on by noon, straight forward job. Needed to fabricate new square u bolts for the bottom platforms for the air bags, that ate up a couple hours of running around for parts. All in all the camper was back on and project completed by five pm. The camper sits great on the springs with the airbags needed only for a half inch lower on the drivers side. They are stout and will give a report after a road trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users