• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:01 AM

Well guys, the old top heavy Rodeo Camper finally tipped me over the edge. Either that or the last head bump rattled my last screw loose. Whatever the case I have sold my old camper and am headlong into building new setup directly onto the back of my Nissan Titan.

Brief rundown:
Carbon Fiber composite walls.
Aluminum Reinforced.
Pop-up Design.
Built directly onto the bed of the Titan.
Completely custom interior.
Addition of external storage.
All new systems and power supplies.

The goal is an ultralight off-road ready vehicle built the way I want it.
What makes me think I can do this? I really don't know, but I do know that I am sick and tired of missing out on WTW trips simply because I was hauling around a condominium on my back.

You can follow the build blog here if you are at all curious or have some words of sanity: :blink:
Hooked Up Films Adventure Camper Build

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:27 AM

Just went over and read and bookmarked your construction start page. This is going to be great watching this camper come together. Good luck
and please keep the page updated so we can watch the progress..

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:32 AM

Can't wait to follow along to completion.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

Like I told Home Skillet the other day: "Well, when you are done, you'll have something!" :D You really better deliver now that you have announced it to the world!

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

I've always thought if someone was really going to go head first in that cutting a pass through door into the back if the truck cab would be interesting as well. Maybe when time and money are much more plentiful on my end...
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#6 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

I've always thought if someone was really going to go head first in that cutting a pass through door into the back if the truck cab would be interesting as well. Maybe when time and money are much more plentiful on my end...

Ya I thought about that. Unfortunately it means Not only cutting the hole in the truck, but also some pretty significant mods to the interior of the Titan. Not to mention the cab to bed seal issue and not allowing for much cab to bed movement on those off roads. It would be nice, but maybe on version 2.

I will be doing my best to keep things updated, so stay tuned.

By the way DD, "something" that goes anywhere is better than the camper I had that went almost "nowhere".

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:06 AM

Ya I thought about that. Unfortunately it means Not only cutting the hole in the truck, but also some pretty significant mods to the interior of the Titan. Not to mention the cab to bed seal issue and not allowing for much cab to bed movement on those off roads. It would be nice, but maybe on version 2.

Yup, definitely room for creativity. ;)
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#8 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:03 AM

I will be doing my best to keep things updated, so stay tuned.

By the way DD, "something" that goes anywhere is better than the camper I had that went almost "nowhere".

Rather that eliminating cab/bed movement, you might accept that it will happen and incorporate some kind of accordion style interface between the cab and camper. Just a suggestion.

#9 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

Rather that eliminating cab/bed movement, you might accept that it will happen and incorporate some kind of accordion style interface between the cab and camper. Just a suggestion.

With this being my first build I am really not interested in doing a walk through. I really think that this would be a great feature, but it also eats up some pretty valuable real estate in the front of the truck box. My plan is to center the weight (ie. water, fuel and equipment) right behind the cab. This keeps a low center of gravity and balances the load well.
Maybe on the HUF Adventure Vehicle 2.0.

PS: I am working on some new posts and will have updates on the site by early next week.

#10 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:36 AM

Like I told Home Skillet the other day: "Well, when you are done, you'll have something!"

Heh. I once bought a bunch of lumber to attempt a project. When I was done, I showed my wife and she said "you built firewood?". I'm not so handy it turns out. Anyway...

I can't wait to see this come together. I've had dreams of building my own custom someday. Keep us updated!
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users