• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#11 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Vic has asked the right questions. I would add; flat beds limit tire and wheel choices.

We have a flat bed builder here in town. From the point of view of my interest in RVs, the outdoors and camping, they have a number of standard pickup beds around their business for sale, a good source for standard replacement truck beds. From what I see locally, flat beds are ordered by commercial businesses and farmers for doing work. Many are custom built and have headach racks to protect the cab from loads shifting forward, not needed for a camper. When I was farming years ago, we called these stake beds. Standard beds are cheaper and for light use.

Aside from that, I have a Reading utility bed that was under my Alaskan, now gone. As most people know here, Alaskans are heavier popup campers that work better on one ton trucks. A utility bed makes a lot of sense for one ton camper rigs. I would make someone a good deal on this old utility bed which has never been used for work. I will send a picture to anyone interested. John D

#12 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

I believe that Ute Ltd makes a flat bed for the Gen 2 Taco. Actually they told me that their flatbeds will fit on anything. In terms of weight I have an 1st Gen Taco and they guys at Ute thought that their standard flat bed was about 100 lbs lighter than my stock bed. Especially when you consider that I have a spray in bedliner. Just rough numbers but it gives you and idea at least.

Cort

#13 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

A utility bed makes a lot of sense for one ton camper rigs.

How much sense do they make on a smaller platform like the Tacoma?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#14 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

I think that depends on how you use the truck. For me I think it makes lots of sense. The one huge advantage is that you can gain a ton of storage space if you outfit it correctly.

Cort

How much sense do they make on a smaller platform like the Tacoma?

#15 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

I often day-dream of putting a flat-bed on my Dodge, but I'd lean towards a more permanent mounting with nice alum. storage boxes up and down each side in the gap between the camper and the flatbed. The one problem I can't get around (actually the first problem is $$$) is the height of the floor seems to go up about 6" with a flat bed. Do you find this negatively impacts the COG? Sort of, but not exactly, like this...

Also just out of curiousity, what is the weight difference going to a flat bed? I would guess you can pick up a bit towards the payload.

-Vic

No COG problems here :lol:
Posted Image

You can save about 200 lbs on an aluminum flatbed over the stock ones.

#16 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

I was just now looking at the Reading web site where specifications are provided on their products. I saw no utility bodies offered by Reading for smaller trucks. Looking at the weight specs; a steel 9 foot dually utility body, like the one I own, weighs about 1,500 pounds or 830 pounds in aluminum. I think it will take a one ton truck to comfortably carry utility bed plus camper.

One other thing, standard utility beds do not readily fit FWCs due to the way the floor pac is constructed. Thus, a utility style bed for a FWC/ATC would have to be custom. So, we are really considering Alaskans, XPCampers and hard sided campers with a straight up 4 foot wide floor pac if using an off the shelf Reading bed. John D

http://readingbody.c...ecs-Classic.pdf

#17 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

I was just now looking at the Reading web site where specifications are provided on their products. I saw no utility bodies offered by Reading for smaller trucks. Looking at the weight specs; a steel 9 foot dually utility body, like the one I own, weighs about 1,500 pounds or 830 pounds in aluminum. I think it will take a one ton truck to comfortably carry utility bed plus camper.

One other thing, standard utility beds do not readily fit FWCs due to the way the floor pac is constructed. Thus, a utility style bed for a FWC/ATC would have to be custom. So, we are really considering Alaskans, XPCampers and hard sided campers with a straight up 4 foot wide floor pac if using an off the shelf Reading bed. John D

http://readingbody.com.dnnmax.com/Portals/0/pdfs/specs-Classic.pdf

Yeah we aren't really looking at putting a stock camper on a flatbed. Several manufacturers, including FWC, Alaskan, and XP make models specifically for flatbeds (although the FWC and Alaskan versions are custom). Where did you get that weight for the flatbed? Did that include a bunch of accessories like cargo boxes? My understanding is that an aluminum flatbed is lighter than a stock bed.

#18 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

I have not found anyone that makes an off the shelf utility bed for a smaller truck. I think this is mainly due to weight since many of the utility beds are still made out of steel. What you can do is get an aluminum flatbed from a company such as Ute Ltd and then customize it if you wish. The Ute aluminum flatbed is lighter than the stock bed.

Cort

#19 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

Vic has asked the right questions. I would add; flat beds limit tire and wheel choices.

I am running 35s and have no problems with them.
I could run up to 37s with that set up.

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Marc, Deck height with 35s, 37s and stock tires? John D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users