21 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

There is a lot of interest out there on campers for Toyota Tacomas. Given that the Tacoma is a small truck with limited payload, there aren't a lot of campers out there that will work. I'd like to create a resource that helps Tacoma owners identify what campers will work for their trucks and what are potential issues to avoid.

Please post up any info you have on Tacomaa and campers. I am also interested in learning all I can about issues with the composite beds, and how those issues can be alleviated when mounting a camper.

So for now this is just a free for all tacoma camper thread. Thanks!

I'll start by posting the camper companies that I know of that build campers light enough to be withing the Tacomas payload capacity:

All Terrain Campers
Four Wheel Campers
Flippac

Any others?

#2 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:04 AM

Well I have to chime in and post this one because I've been daydreaming about this rig since I saw it in Truck Camper Magazine a few weeks ago. Its a bit on the heavier side though. Its the Alaskan Mini on a Tacoma.

http://www.alaskancamper.com/mini.html

Attached Thumbnails

• alaskanmini9_th.jpg

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

I am also interested in learning all I can about issues with the composite beds, and how those issues can be alleviated when mounting a camper.

The only problem that I know of with the composite bed is if you have a FlipPac or heavy topper installed. I have read about problems with the top section of the bed getting wider, ie spreading apart.

I have a heavy topper, probably only a FlipPac would be a little heavier, and I have not seen any signs of spreading. I will say that I much prefer the idea of the weight sitting on the bottom of the bed, it is one of the reasons I am getting a FWC. If for no other reason than having the weight sitting on the frame of the truck provides better COG. (Think standing on the pegs of a motor bike verses sitting on the seat.)
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

One issue that I can think of right off would be the suspension. The gross vehicle rating is probably adequate, but this does not mean that the camper will ride well on the back. For example, the Super Camper was built onto a toyota tacoma and even though it was made exclusively out of Nida-Core material and very light, it still required helper springs to take the sway in corners out and to enable it to perform well off road.
They acually have a video of the super camper off road after the helper springs were put on and it really does ride nice over rough terrain.

Something to maybe factor into cost..... :D

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#5 B. Eagle

B. Eagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hello All,

First, I have been enjoying Wander the West since nearly it's inception. Great Idea!!!!!

Since this topic is on which campers to consider for the Toyota Tacoma, I thought I would post pictures of my new truck camper built by Phoenix Campers in Denver. I invested over 3 years researching the different companies out there for the very reason this topic was create. I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (bought specifically for a future camper) and wanted a tight fitting, light weight camper. At the same time I didn't want to sacrifice the comforts that I was seeking. It came down to four wheel campers and phoenix with both providing unique values to the customer.
Truck Camper 2.jpg
Let me first say that both Four Wheel and Phoenix provided incredible customer service during the whole experience. In the end I chose the good folks at Phoenix because they could custom build how I liked. I did install Airbags (about $380 including labor, worth the investment) prior to picking up the camper just as hedge and I don't think I would actually need them, but I'm happy to have them.

I will likely start a new thread with additional pics of the camper, but give the folks at Phoenix a consideration. There are really no bad players out there for us Taco owners, but Phoenix will be a tough one to beat in my opinion.

Couple Facts about the camper.

1. Full Sized Queen Bed Space above cab. No need for slide outs in the camper area. Storage Area under the bed (with gas support) for tons of clothes and gear.
2. Heater, 3 Burner Stove, Fantastic Fan, Hot Water (separate 6 gallon HW tank) heater, and auxilliary marine battery.
3. Separate Aluminum support bars that can be inserted in the corners of the camper to provide extra support for those deep powder days in the winter. Note, can stand on the camper no problem to load gear.

Loose Facts.
1. With 22 gallons of water, full propane and happy jacks the camper comes in at about 1200lbs (courtesy CDOT roadside scale). Not a problem for the tacoma. Deducting out the extras, I would put the dry weight in the four wheel ball park (700 lbs or so). About a 20% hit on MPG with the camper on.

#6 B. Eagle

B. Eagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:19 PM

Forgot to mention I also have a 3CF Fridge with Freezer. Thx,

#7 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:53 AM

Greetings fellow travelers,
My wife and i recently sold our 07 TACO and i have a few observations to share.

TIP For TACO Owners... Run, don't walk down to your nearest Toyota service shop and ask them about the Rear Leaf Spring TSB (Toyota Service Bulletin) for harsh rides! Be sure to tell them your ride is noticably harsh once you put any kind of payload in the bed or hook up a trailer. If your rig is under warranty Toyota will replace your 3 leaf set with a 3+over-spring set. WOW what a difference in the rig. It was an amazing transformation and every TACO owner should get this done ASAP. It was totally free and the _bill_ to Toyota Corp from the dealer was over $2K.

We did quite a bit of research and for our needs a simple ARE shell plus the SUV tent worked great for us.
http://www.sportzbyn...?product_num=57
Not really a "Camper" but i sure had loads of room once camp was set up.
And made for a nice daily driver(seen here on our back lawn:
http://www.facebook....100000651126034

Happy Trails,
Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#8 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hey All,

B. Eagle... those sound like some nice options and I really like the huge cabover, with storage.

Nice kayak too. Its good to see other WW kayakers on WTW. Any others? Where do you hail from? I'm in New England.

I just did a 6500mi trip west (Yellowstone, Tetons, L. Superior, etc). Paddled a few nice surf spots on the way west and then the Snake and Shoshone while out west. Would have loved to paddle more, but the water was low and time was tight! There were only so many times I could convince the wife to drop me off at the top and pick me up at the bottom of the run, but I tried. :-)

I weighed my truck and FWC Eagle, sans wife and little one, on a scale over the summer during our trip. FWC was easily 1200lbs. Of course, its probably all the junk brought along that adds up (clothes, supplies, fuel, water, kayak, gear, etc, etc, etc). Unfortunately, the DCLB has a lower capacity than the shorter tacomas, which is a delicate balance. personally, one I struggle with?

Whats it like lifting the roof, with a kayak up top, of the Pheonix? I've got shocks to help lift the FWC, but every time I put my boat(s) and box on the roof I wish I had nothing up there. I longed to have my mountain bike on the trip, but lifting the roof with a 40lb bike as well would have been too much. Thats why i'll be putting a front hitch on my truck! :-)

To the question of the Tacoma/FWC combo... it seems to work for our family. In some ways I love it, its lacking in others. I find myself daydreaming about that new FWC (is it the Ranger?) which is 5inches wider with the 48" cabover. No need to pull out the bed everytime or extend the camper jack brackets (although I use cable jacks, the same issue exists)!!!!

I endorse the FWC wholeheartedly. Every setup is a tradeoff depending on situation, etc. I use the camper year round (ice climbing in the winter... there's nothing better than coming back to the FWC, turning on the heater, and crackin' a beer!) and all over the place. Its a nice price point as well, especially if you can find one used (which I did).

Rob

ps I have airbags as well. Unless one upgrades springs for 24/7 camper use/placement, I can't see an alternative (maybe Timbrens, but i've never used them?).

Hello All,

First, I have been enjoying Wander the West since nearly it's inception. Great Idea!!!!!

Since this topic is on which campers to consider for the Toyota Tacoma, I thought I would post pictures of my new truck camper built by Phoenix Campers in Denver. I invested over 3 years researching the different companies out there for the very reason this topic was create. I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab (bought specifically for a future camper) and wanted a tight fitting, light weight camper. At the same time I didn't want to sacrifice the comforts that I was seeking. It came down to four wheel campers and phoenix with both providing unique values to the customer.
Truck Camper 2.jpg
Let me first say that both Four Wheel and Phoenix provided incredible customer service during the whole experience. In the end I chose the good folks at Phoenix because they could custom build how I liked. I did install Airbags (about $380 including labor, worth the investment) prior to picking up the camper just as hedge and I don't think I would actually need them, but I'm happy to have them.

I will likely start a new thread with additional pics of the camper, but give the folks at Phoenix a consideration. There are really no bad players out there for us Taco owners, but Phoenix will be a tough one to beat in my opinion.

Couple Facts about the camper.

1. Full Sized Queen Bed Space above cab. No need for slide outs in the camper area. Storage Area under the bed (with gas support) for tons of clothes and gear.
2. Heater, 3 Burner Stove, Fantastic Fan, Hot Water (separate 6 gallon HW tank) heater, and auxilliary marine battery.
3. Separate Aluminum support bars that can be inserted in the corners of the camper to provide extra support for those deep powder days in the winter. Note, can stand on the camper no problem to load gear.

Loose Facts.
1. With 22 gallons of water, full propane and happy jacks the camper comes in at about 1200lbs (courtesy CDOT roadside scale). Not a problem for the tacoma. Deducting out the extras, I would put the dry weight in the four wheel ball park (700 lbs or so). About a 20% hit on MPG with the camper on.

Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#9 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

Also, I take an ~20% hit on MPG on the highway, however, once on secondary roads... there were times I recorded 22+ MPG on my trip west. 22MPG is about the best I get under any circumstances (empty bed or with shell)

Rob
Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:51 PM

We have been putting small campers on the Tacoma trucks for years & years.

We have been putting the small campers on the newer Tacoma trucks with the composite / plastic truck bed (2005 - 2011) for the last 5 years or so.

When the new Tacoma trucks came out in 2005 with the composite truck bed, we were worried about the strength of the truck bed with a camper mounted on it.

To date we have not had any problems or heard any horror stories. Customers seem to be very happy.

Four Wheel Campers has always preferred having the "internal" camper down downs for mounting their campers. With the new plastic Tacoma truck bed we did NOT want to drill through the truck bed with the traditional eye bolts.

Back in early 2005 we had a local fabrication shop design some strong steel internal camper tie down brackets that bolt to the Tacoma truck bed (actually the truck frame) using the existing Toyota bed bolts.

By doing this we have a really strong tie down system and don't have to use the "external" tie downs on most applications.

In addition to the steel tie downs bars we install in the truck bed, we add a thick rubber bed mat in front of, in the middle, and behind the steel tie down brackets in the truck bed. This helps to give the camper some extra insulation, extra cushioning factor, and some tackiness to keep the camper from shifting around on the normally slippery plastic bed.

We had a couple of the original tie down brackets bend slightly when customers were doing some heavy off road travels, but as soon as we saw when what happening, we had the shop redesign and beef up the bracket. It solved the minor problem. We have not had a bracket bend since then. I think on the old original tie down brackets we had 1 bracket out of 500 bend, so even at that it was never a really big problem.

The new Tacoma trucks have a good payload, but a soft suspension.

The customer will want to, and will need to add some air bags or some stiff over load springs to the truck. I don't see any way around this. It is an easy upgrade though. Air Bags seem to be the preferred rear suspension upgrade these days.

Good "D" rated or "E" rated truck will make a BIG difference as well. The wimpy stock Tacoma tires don't off much for carrying capacity or puncture resistance against off road tire side wall punctures.

Hope this helps.

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Tacoma Bed Brackets 10.JPG
  • Tacoma Bed Brackets (NEW 3).JPG
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 7.JPG
  • Tacoma Install Brackets # 10.JPG
  • toyota tacoma 2006 #4.JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442