Toyota Tacoma with camper initial research thread

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:48 AM

I have the TSB and airbags on my 2006 Tacoma carrying a Bobcat. I am extremely happy with the truck and camper combination, though it rides like a lumberwagon when the camper is off. Mileage is 14 - 17 mpg on the highway but better (19 mpg) on the secondary roads that are more fun. I travel light as a rule and have had no problems with sway or mushy ride when on or off road. The airbags are kept at about 25 psi which seems to level the rig out. As for mounting, I used Tork Lift frame mounts in front and the eye bolts with big plates in the back. No problems so far.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#12 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:21 AM

Does the Gen 2 Tacoma with a Finch/Eagle need the swing-out brackets for the front jacks?
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#13 Arclite

Arclite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:11 PM

Greetings - I'm getting ready to retire from the USMC and have started planning for my post retirement travels.  

I have a 2006 Tacoma, TRD 4x4 that is basically stock with the exception of Downey shocks and a small lift that was added at the dealership.  

I've been determining the best slide-in or chassis camper for my truck and happened upon here realizing the best option is FWC or Pheonix Pop-Up.  

My question to you all is, will the 2006 Tacoma (with necessary rear suspension additions) handle a FWC/PPU slide-in with a hitch-mounted 400-600lbs motorcycle carrier attached?  

I plan to have either a 350lbs XR650R or 500lbs-ish F800GS on the 2" receiver motorcycle carrier.  

Thanks for your input!

#14 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

first thanks for your years of service.

as far as truck/camper set up do not forget to add atc campers to your list.equal to fwc.

do you have reg cab or access cab?

as far as adding a mc carrier on rear hitch,i will wager it will not last.

to hard to get in and out of camper.

when i was still riding,last bike used with tacoma was a klr 650 about the weight you are talking about.

with all the gear,boots etc it takes a lot of room.

just you or family,dog etc?

with this in mind here is what ended what worked for me,was able to carry bike,kayak and all gear

to go with it,you will find with the correct trailer you can just about go any where you want,

we had many Baja,nevada,idaho trips with no problems

maybe this will answer some of your ?'s

Les,lqhikers

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010169.jpg
  • P1010187.jpg

#15 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

I like

lqhikers

set up. I've seen a few others doing this approach nicely built steel trailer set up for the added toys and even outside kitchen etc paired with the Tacoma and pop up camper works pretty well from what I can tell. The down side of course is hauling a trailer on the trips where you want all the toys but I can't see a good way around it.

#16 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

Our Eagle is bolted on. I checked with Toyota and made sure welding to the frame would NOT in-validate the warranty.
Drilling into it will.

Our fabricator welded two 3/8" thick "L" brackets to the frame below the  front of the bed. Rear he found two open holes to bolt through. We drilled the bed and plates 9/16" - putting 3/8ths inch "Elevator" bolts. To allow for frame flex.

After 20,000 miles no loose nuts. For pictures check out the pictures in my Gallery.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 06 March 2015 - 10:53 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#17 CamperDave

CamperDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for all the advice here on the Tacos and slide in campers...has anyone here seen(or have) a slide in for the newer Tacos with the double cab and short bed (5ft). It seems like my options are going to be very limited with the short bed (in addition to the lower payload of a smaller truck). 

#18 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for all the advice here on the Tacos and slide in campers...has anyone here seen(or have) a slide in for the newer Tacos with the double cab and short bed (5ft). It seems like my options are going to be very limited with the short bed (in addition to the lower payload of a smaller truck). 

Here is a post on expedition portal, running a FWC Finch on a double cab short bed.

http://www.expeditio...C-and-FWC-Finch

#19 CamperDave

CamperDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

Thanks for that link, that was very helpful. I am trying to determine if a FWC Eagle will fit in my bed, and what type of tie down system I will need. It seems as though I will have to upgrade my suspension a bit to make it work. 

#20 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:19 PM

I ended up getting a TRD Sport quad cab long bed so I could fit an Eagle on it, otherwise I would have gone with the Finch and TRD Off-road. I hated to lose the locking diff but I also didn't want external tie downs with the Finch. I think the current short bed model is the Swift now.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users