13 replies to this topic

#1 Dangerous Trebles

Dangerous Trebles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHayward

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

I am looking for some help if anyone knows how much wind can the ATC/ FWC take in the up position. Mine is a ATC Panther

My winter fishing love, Pyramid Lake north of Sparks can at times reach some very serious winds and gust. This will be my first season not in a tent....... WAHOOOOOO

Thanks for reading

Treble Hooks around me find everything, including some fish once and awhile

#2 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

From my point of view its not so much a question of how much wind the pop up can take in the up position, but opening and closing of the top during wind that you have to be careful with. I had a situation when I was camping by myself where I went around the camper and unhooked the latches, next I opened the door and unlike I normally do I slide back the "fence gate latch" as I called it on the top near the door first before pushing the top up. Well, much to my surprise a wind gust came and popped the whole roof up on its own. I was lucky as there was no damage, but it has caused me to always keep the front slider well open for airflow and be very careful when in windy conditions. I hope this little adventure helps you when operating in the wind. Personally, I avoid windy conditions with the camper the best I can, or I point the front of the camper in the direction of the wind and it seems to handle it fine. Basically, its the only down fall in my opinion of the pop up style camper.

Oh, and on a somewhat funny note. Last weekend I was up on highway 88 and as I was driving east a pop up type camper other that a 4 wheel or ATC was coming west with the top fully popped up. Its not good to say, but it did look kind of funny as it was sort of bouncing up and down. I would have tried to say something, but I was heading uphill and he was gone before I realized what I was looking at.

Have fun and be safe out there.

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hmmm...I thought I remembered reading some kind of "proven to XX mph" statement on the FWC site, but I can't find it so maybe I just imagined it...wishful thinking. ;)
I know I've told friends that my FWC Hawk can withstand 60mph winds...but it's possible I was just pulling that number out of my asx. :P

This isn't your question, but to add to the pop-up deployment in high winds comment:
I've had problems lowering the top in high winds, similar to the raising problem that Darryla posted. Mainly the problem was that the sides weren't pulled in by the bungees when I dropped the roof 'cause the wind was inflating the camper -- pushing the sides out. I had to manually tuck the sides in -- it was kinda like a hernia, if you can picture that. :D

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:49 PM

This last month I ran into the remnants of hurricane Igor in Newfoundland and I would guess we had 60 mph winds overnight. I hadn't positioned the truck into the wind as I but no issues, I was a clandestine camper so I wasn't thinking about positioning. Last year at the Eureka, Colorado WTW get together I would imagine the gusts were at least that high during the overnight thunderstorms, took my screen tent over a 1/2 mile away. I never had an issue raising or lowering but I would think using the the hydraulic lifts would take care of any concerns as they would prevent rapid deployment.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Darryl, Mark, and Barko all speak the truth (as always), Trebles. All of the above have happened to me, including driving a few miles with the top unlatched.

I have to admit, though, that I'll move down to the lower bed if the camper is whipping around too much in the wind for sleeping. :)

BTW, that little photo of my rig off to the left was taken on the shores of Pyramid Lake. No wind but it was about 15 degrees that morning.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#6 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

Yes, I think 60 mph can be handled, especially if you follow all the good advice above, and your lift panels are good, etc. I've experienced gusts to 60 mph in the Guadalupes. I admit that I moved from the cabover to the couch, but it turns out I didn't need to.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#7 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

Last year at the Eureka, Colorado WTW get together I would imagine the gusts were at least that high during the overnight thunderstorms, took my screen tent over a 1/2 mile away...

That was a rough night... The thunder & lightning that evening was quite memorable too!

I've spent one night in worse winds than that, last March near Moab. We were up on Hwy 313, leading to Island in the Sky, and we probably should have used better judgement and just grabbed a room in town. But I was curious as to how the camper would do in extreme winds. We made it through the night but it was like sleeping on a water-bed on a boat at sea. Constant whipping & swaying all night. It boosted my confidence in the camper, but we hardly slept due to all of the noise & motion.

I seem to remember Tom Hanagan telling me he once accidentally left the top up on a camper and drove down the interstate at 60+mph for several miles before realizing the top was up. He said there was no damage, but he didn't recommend anyone try it.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#8 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:35 AM

I've experienced gusts to 60 mph in the Guadalupes.

(Off topic, but)

When I was in the Guadalupes the forecasted wind was just over 100 mph, I think it was 105 or 110. :o

Wish I would have taken a photo of the forecast, as you do not see that very often.

Sleeping in the rig that night the rocking felt more like a boat than a parked pickup.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

I've been in some bad windstorms in my FWC. No problems at all.

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

Just fire up the GenSet and ride it out.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users