• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#11 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

Wow, Barko, that is not the kind of news you want to hear. Best of luck with your decision and hope all goes well for you. Please keep us posted.

Decision or incision :o I've been through this before, they don't cut muscle and you are up moving the next day. I'll consult. At least if I use the VA I won't be getting a total cashectomy! Thanks :)
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#12 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

I'm looking at Big Bend towards the end of the month. I'm free after the 19th. I was thinking of hanging out at the Cottonwood Campground. Might also check out Big Bend Ranch State Park. Might not even take the FWC, need to give my toyhauler a test run. Will do some back roads on the bike and some general loafing around, maybe a hike up Emory Peak.

I did have my back surgery but have pretty much fully recovered from that.

#13 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

We will try to keep an eye out for you. We are currently 4 days from Big Bend if we can keep up driving without a break. We are hoping to find the place empty so don't tell any one we are coming. Glad to hear the surgery went well. I have been avoiding it for over 20 years and plan to go at least another 20.

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

Won't be empty but after this weekend should be pretty good. I won't get there for 3 weeks. Some back surgeries are a piece of cake :D , I've had 2 over 5 years and each one was a quick recovery and positive relief, can't imagine not having had it fixed. Enjoy the trip!

#15 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

I may be able to get down there in a few weeks. What's your ETA to Big Bend, Barko?

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

I'm thinking around the 20th but not set in stone. Usually camp at Cottonwood but that is optional as well. Cottonwood will have a few people camped there, no generators, plenty of Javelina's and Coyotes and it is close to the Western end of the River Road. I don't plan on beating the truck up much, have traveled most of the backroads there but would explore some with my bike/cycle, maybe hike a day in the Chiso's. If anyone is looking for a laid back warm place to explore or hang out it is a good one.

#17 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

I was in BBNP back in '05 and would love to go again. I've never been to Cottonwood or driven the River Road or explored the back country so that sounds good. Last time we camped on one of those dirt roads north of the visitors' center and did day hikes in the Chisos from the Basin. I'd like to hike some of the trails I missed last time. There are some great views from the South Rim and Emory Peak!

It's about 12 hours of driving from my place to the visitors' center and longer to the Rio Grande and Cottonwood. We could think about meeting up north, visiting the Chisos and then heading south. Or do you use Cottonwood as your base? How long is it around from Cottonwood to the Basin?

How many days do you plan on being in BBNP?

Stew

Stew

#18 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I was in BBNP back in '05 and would love to go again. I've never been to Cottonwood or driven the River Road or explored the back country so that sounds good. Last time we camped on one of those dirt roads north of the visitors' center and did day hikes in the Chisos from the Basin. I'd like to hike some of the trails I missed last time. There are some great views from the South Rim and Emory Peak!

It's about 12 hours of driving from my place to the visitors' center and longer to the Rio Grande and Cottonwood. We could think about meeting up north, visiting the Chisos and then heading south. Or do you use Cottonwood as your base? How long is it around from Cottonwood to the Basin?

How many days do you plan on being in BBNP?

Stew

I first visited about 25 years ago and have seen a lot of it. There are several roads that are fine for travel, depending on recent weather of course. I have been basing at Cottonwood, everything at Big Bend is pretty spread out, probably an hour to the basin but in general it is nicer camping. I may bring my little toyhauler but could still drag it to a couple of the sites N of the road and the visitor center. There is also Big Bend Ranch State Park 40 miles West that has probably more miles of backroads, I have not explored them and the National Park does seem to have more diversity of terrain. The hike to Emory Peak is a good challenge and Lost Mine trail has great views and is a bit shorter. I always eat a meal or two at the lodge, nice views and a break from camp cooking. I have a friend who is probably coming along on a motorcycle.
Lost Mine
Posted Image

#19 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Barko1, I lied when I said I hadn't been to Cottonwood. A yellow line on my map proved me wrong, but I know I haven't camped there. It's only 1900 ft down there by the Rio Grande so it should be much warmer than those higher, windy, dirty, desert backcountry sites to the north. Let's try to meet at Cottonwood, then. What do you think the temps will be?

I see there is a BIG RV camp on the east end of the River Road.

I've never been up the Lost Mine Trail. With those low clouds, your photo makes it look interesting.

Stew

Stew

#20 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:51 PM

What do you think the temps will be?

I see there is a BIG RV camp on the east end of the River Road.

I've never been up the Lost Mine Trail. With those low clouds, your photo makes it look interesting.

Stew

:lol: temps, I promised my wife 70 and she got 9 one year. Last week Terlingua had a high of 73 and a low of 24, so somewhere in there! Rio Grande campground is at the other end, much larger and a section off to one side with the plug ins for the big RV's. Not a bad campground though, has a laundry and phone! Cottonwood has toilets and that is about it. I was at the park one time when you couldn't see the Chiso's because of the clouds but once in the Basin you ended up above them. It really is pretty when it snows up there. I may spend a night camped in the Basin to be near the trail head for a morning assault. Last time I camped there one of my dogs got loose just as a Chiso's deer walked by, deer got some good exercise, dog came back 20 minutes later, don't tell the ranger :o I'll head for Cottonwood, will spend at least 4 days in the park I would think. This pic is by the Rio G. camp area
http:/http://barko1.smugmug.com/Travel/Big-Bend-December-06-1/BB06-128/118777583_euuVE-M.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users