69 replies to this topic

#21 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

What do you think the temps will be?

I see there is a BIG RV camp on the east end of the River Road.

I've never been up the Lost Mine Trail. With those low clouds, your photo makes it look interesting.

Stew

:lol: temps, I promised my wife 70 and she got 9 one year. Last week Terlingua had a high of 73 and a low of 24, so somewhere in there! Rio Grande campground is at the other end, much larger and a section off to one side with the plug ins for the big RV's. Not a bad campground though, has a laundry and phone! Cottonwood has toilets and that is about it. I was at the park one time when you couldn't see the Chiso's because of the clouds but once in the Basin you ended up above them. It really is pretty when it snows up there. I may spend a night camped in the Basin to be near the trail head for a morning assault. Last time I camped there one of my dogs got loose just as a Chiso's deer walked by, deer got some good exercise, dog came back 20 minutes later, don't tell the ranger :o I'll head for Cottonwood, will spend at least 4 days in the park I would think.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#22 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:58 AM

After 2400 miles of interstate we are in Fort Stockton. Tomorrow we enter Big Bend and may fall off the edge of the internet. Don't expect for us to be heard from again for 2 to 3 weeks. Should still be lost somewhere in the park when Barko arrives.

#23 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:03 AM

http://www.tpwd.stat...arks/balmorhea/

I may stop here, great springs and pool, 25,000,000 gallons of water run through it each day! 70+ degrees year round :)

#24 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

:lol: temps, I promised my wife 70 and she got 9 one year. Last week Terlingua had a high of 73 and a low of 24, so somewhere in there! Rio Grande campground is at the other end, much larger and a section off to one side with the plug ins for the big RV's. Not a bad campground though, has a laundry and phone! Cottonwood has toilets and that is about it. I may spend a night camped in the Basin to be near the trail head for a morning assault. I'll head for Cottonwood, will spend at least 4 days in the park I would think.

Let's hope it's in the 70s and not the single digits on this trip, eh? I see the Rio Grande camp also has showers--always good after a few days in the desert dust! A night camped in the Basin sounds good; never camped there.

See you at Cottonwood on the 20th, Barko.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#25 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

After 2400 miles of interstate we are in Fort Stockton. Tomorrow we enter Big Bend and may fall off the edge of the internet. Don't expect for us to be heard from again for 2 to 3 weeks. Should still be lost somewhere in the park when Barko arrives.

Wander over to Cottonwood CG, Hitherroad, and you might find Barko and Stew after the 20th.

Stew

#26 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/

I may stop here, great springs and pool, 25,000,000 gallons of water run through it each day! 70+ degrees year round :)

I'll be passing by this TX state park on my drive south to BB. Ever been there before, Barko?

Stew

#27 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'll be passing by this TX state park on my drive south to BB. Ever been there before, Barko?

I thought you might be going by it. I have stayed there, nothing special for camping as I recall but the springs and surroundings are pretty interesting. Depending on what time I leave towards BB I might stop there as well. Haven't been there for a few years. They used to have a high drive at the giant pool. Never could find the bottom, I guess it is 25' deep.

#28 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi Barko,

SimiMike says he will meet us at Cottonwood on the 20th. So far that's four--you, Stew, Mike and Hittheroad (if he can find us).

Anybody else interested?

Stew

#29 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

I just heard on the news that the US gov is going to open the crossing to Mexico at Rio Grande Village in Big Bend NP that has been closed since 9/11. Instead of the old, leaky rowboat there will be a new ferry for both cars and people.

Too bad this won't happen until sometime in 2012.

Stew

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I sure would like to join this trip, but from central Oregon it's just too far/long a drive for anything but a mega-vacation (which isn't an option right now).
The one time I visited Big Bend (and Guadalupe Mts NP), back in 1994, I flew to El Paso and rented a car...which was a great trip, but inhibited real exploring.

(When-oh-when can I quit my job -- retire -- so I can spend the majority of my time enjoying my time?
The answer: depends on the standard of living I want/need.
And I know I shouldn't whine, should be grateful that I have a good job.)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users