67 replies to this topic

#11 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

I use wing nuts on all my jacks. I never travel with them.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#12 knobbytracks

knobbytracks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCasper, WY

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

Off the subject a bit, but after removing the jacks, how do you lift the truck in the event you need to change a tire on the road? Thankfully I have not had to do this but if I do, I would use the camper jacks along with the OEM bottle jack to change a tire. I have not tried the OEM bottle jack for my Tundra but am assuming it won't have the "oomph" needed to lift the back end with the camper loaded. Thoughts?
2004 Toyota Tundra - Daystar 2.5" lift/leveling kit, Airbags 2008 Northstar TC800XB 2006 Yamaha YZ125 2004 KTM 200EXC (sold) 1984 SWM 320

#13 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

Off the subject a bit, but after removing the jacks, how do you lift the truck in the event you need to change a tire on the road? Thankfully I have not had to do this but if I do, I would use the camper jacks along with the OEM bottle jack to change a tire. I have not tried the OEM bottle jack for my Tundra but am assuming it won't have the "oomph" needed to lift the back end with the camper loaded. Thoughts?

I've often wondered that too but haven't ever needed to change a tire. I carry a Hi Lift too so I figure I'm covered either way.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

I can't imagine using the camper jacks, bring a big bottle jack or hi-lift.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

I got a Makita LXT impact driver and it makes very short work of bolting & unbolting the jacks. I use an adapter for the socket driver and a box wrench on the other end. Pretty quick.

Now if I could get away from using turnbuckles!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#16 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Some one years ago posted that they were lifting while removing camper and forgot to remove the turnbuckle. Thier eyebolt on the camper pulled through the wood siding.

I would not take that chance and get a bottle jack or highlift to raise the truck.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#17 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

I can't imagine using the camper jacks, bring a big bottle jack or hi-lift.
Posted Image

Barko1,

Where do you have that high lift jack placed on the front of your truck? Is it just put through one of the eye hooks? I often wondered if that would be a stout enough mount point for my high lift jack.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#18 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

I had a flat in the passenger side rear tire and lift the rear with OEM bottle jack to change the tire with no problem. Here is my measurement of weight at each tire on my tacoma with ATC loaded.
front driver: 1280lbs
front passanger:1320lbs
rear driver: 1660lbs
rear passenger: 1380lbs

Only the drive side rear is much heavier then the front. I think if the truck is not lifted to much OEM bottle jack should be fine.

#19 knobbytracks

knobbytracks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCasper, WY

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for the replies.

"Thankfully I have not had to do this but if I do, I would use the camper jacks along with the OEM bottle jack to change a tire." I just wanted reinstate from my previous post that I would use, if needed, the camper jacks ALONG WITH the OEM bottle jack, not the camper jacks only. :)
2004 Toyota Tundra - Daystar 2.5" lift/leveling kit, Airbags 2008 Northstar TC800XB 2006 Yamaha YZ125 2004 KTM 200EXC (sold) 1984 SWM 320

#20 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

I've jacked up 1/2 of my loaded car trailer (+/- 8000 pounds) with my OEM truck jack to change a flat. I would have no problems jacking up one tire on my truck with the camper on it. I'd wager most stock truck jacks could do the same.

I wouldn't want to chance hurting the camper using the camper jacks to help support the truck.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users