19 replies to this topic

#11 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

For sure DD! I see U R in the SunnySide of the State. We can meet you half way in Quartzville mining district near Sweet Home. 11 miles of free camping next to a beautiful river.

: )
Thom

Sounds great! I did a field trip to that area with the Oregon State geology department back in my college days. I'll provide the beer and free labor until I earn my stripes :)

#12 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:24 AM

Probably wouldn't need to change anything about the camper.

Oh yeah, duh, the cabover :rolleyes:

So I guess some changes would be needed!

#13 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Cool :D
Guess i have a new angle on my business.
You draw it; I built it... :lol:

#14 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:53 PM

You draw it; I built it... :lol:

You've heard the saying...
"If you build it they will come"
this is a new twist on an old saying.
Sure is fun to dream along with you Marc!

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:14 PM

Cool Posted Image
Guess i have a new angle on my business.
You draw it; I built it... Posted Image

If you have seen my Casita it has two gel coat bath tub halves welded together. The inside is great and possible of making two halve that fold down together. But the tub is like a tub shape or EGG shape I guess the sides would need to be not curved and more like a box.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 The Adam Blaster

The Adam Blaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:36 AM

Marc sent me a link to this thread as I've been asking him about the possibility of mounting an XP to a trailer...

My thinking is that since the XP is already designed to be mounted to/with a flatbed, it really wouldn't be "too" hard to mount it to a trailer. What would be really cool <nudge nudge Marc> is if there were custom made trailers to hold the XP. Make a trailer to fit the XP, rather than have to modify the XP to fit a trailer.
Under the cab-over portion a large enclosed space could be created to hold whatever a person might need, it would probably have enough room to mount a family's worth of bicycles.
I think it would be pretty cool to be able to have the choice of mounting the camper to a truck OR trailer.
You could loan the camper/trailer to a friend or family member without having to give up your truck...
Also, if the trailer was sold separately, that would increase Marc's possible market - a prospective owner wouldn't have to own a p/u truck. And that would apply to people looking for a brand new camper or a used model in the future.

#17 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

...What would be really cool <nudge nudge Marc> is if there were custom made trailers to hold the XP. Make a trailer to fit the XP, rather than have to modify the XP to fit a trailer...

That is a nice option Adam. Good thinking. In my research on custom trailer manufacturers, ATC continues to come up tops on many, many industry peeps lists. Here is a link to their custom flat bed page. Look around the website and you can see they will do nearly anything for the customer! I've spoken with them on the very thing you brought up.
ATC flat bed trailer page
Post script addition after workday and pondering...there is a nice example IMO on what might be a nice platform for the stock XPCamper on the trailer idea. If you go to the "Custom Field Service Trailers" link at the ATC sight and click on the third unit in the left column of examples called the Custom Tool Storage Trailer, you will see how they could have a custom sized box below the overhead bed area (the example is full standing height). All we would need is four feet or so high for storage. . . Should be easy for these guys!
Cheers,
Thom

#18 The Adam Blaster

The Adam Blaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:22 AM

Post script addition after workday and pondering...there is a nice example IMO on what might be a nice platform for the stock XPCamper on the trailer idea. If you go to the "Custom Field Service Trailers" link at the ATC sight and click on the third unit in the left column of examples called the Custom Tool Storage Trailer, you will see how they could have a custom sized box below the overhead bed area (the example is full standing height). All we would need is four feet or so high for storage. . . Should be easy for these guys!
Cheers,
Thom

That's sort of what I was thinking, just on a smaller scale - about 4 feet high as you mentioned. Although, thinking of the XP, from the height of the flatbed to the bottom of the over-cab bunk area, I'm not sure if would be quite 4' high, but the point is the tool/storage area would fill that void space in the trailer application.

#19 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

the first time cari and i saw something like this idea was at the Salem Oregon Gold Prospecting show a few years back. A guy and his wife had a nice big-foot camper on about a 16ft flat bed with the box under the overhead as you described. Had all their prospecting and camping gear well organized in that area. Looked like a nice setup.

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

There is a thread on TOS* where a guy put a 10+ foot Lance (I think) cab-over on a 25'+ long gooseneck flatbed trailer, which left him room to park his crawler on the aft 'deck.' A concept that I've long wondered about doing myself.

Putting myself in Marc's shoes I wouldn't be too interested in building trailers. It is a whole different set of rules, engineering, and requirements to meet when there are plenty of trailer mfg's out there. Were it me I would approach it one of two ways; either find an agreeable trailer mfg and create a symbiotic relationship with them, or put together a set of plans, requirements etc. that can be given to any trailer mfg to insure correct fitment of the XPC to a trailer.

* "that other site"
Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users