• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#11 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

My 97 ex-Forest Service Ford had the traditional spare-in-the-bed set up and of course the stock mount was rusted to hell so I went with the 2" front receiver solution. Doesn't really impact the sight lines and hopefully it will add a little extra protection when (in Montana it's not if) I nail a kamakazi deer. Cheaper to replace than bumpers or grilles.
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#12 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

I'd go with a front mounted 2nd spare. that way it is always there. And if it falls off - you'll know.... You laugh - but I had the factory spare fall off from under a work truck and the only reason we 'found' it was we drove back the same way later in the day and it was in the ditch.

As for tire patching - I've had pretty good luck with Saftey Seal. I've used it a lot on my off road truck and trailer tires. With some bailing wire mixed in you can even fix some nasty side wall gouges. If I was headed way off the beaten path - I'd pack the 2nd spare and the tire patch kit.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#13 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

Damn, I just ordered a front mount receiver.
Less that $85 for a Curt hitch, shipped.

Guess I always needed one....
(and I don't even have a 2nd spare)

This dang site costs me money I don't have.
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

This dang site costs me money I don't have.

:lol: I know exactly what you mean!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

I carry tire plugs but have yet to use them since I years ago switched to BFG AllTerians. Been lots of places and been lucky enough to not have tire issiues.

Those that are having tire failures and multi tire flats, have they been with the BFG All Terrians???

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Actually...I've only had one flat in the 100,000 miles that I've had my Ford.
But prior to that, with my Toyota Tacoma, I had flats -- and changed them -- frequently enough that I probably could have gotten a job at Les Schwab (except for the beard). I had more than one brand of tire on that Toyota, but all were load range E, mud-and-snow (but not full-on mudders), for what it's worth. I should also mention that these were sharp-rock flats driving mostly on the Steens East/Alvord road -- a high-speed gravel road where the gravel is crushed rock -- pointy crushed rock. I got double-flats when both tires on one side ran over the same sharp rock embedded in the dirt. If I didn't drive on those roads at 65 mph I probably would have gotten fewer flats..but I don't want to drive slower. :P

I've never used a tire patching kit for a truck/car tire -- are they capable of patching a good-sized rock-hole or are they only good for nail holes?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#17 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:46 PM

just some sample pictures I have saved over the years ...

Attached Thumbnails

• Blazer #14.JPG
  • spare tire.jpg
  • spare tire rack.jpg
  • 1010054.JPG
  • spare tire rack # 3.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#18 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

I've never used a tire patching kit for a truck/car tire -- are they capable of patching a good-sized rock-hole or are they only good for nail holes?

I've seen as many as 8 plugs shoved in a good sized hole when a pal needed to get the 50 miles over washboards from Saline Valley, back out to Hwy 395 and Lone Pine for a replacement... Definitely a good option for peace of mind!

Are you airing down before long stretches in the Steens..? Nothing wrong with ripping down a dirt road, but airing down your tires will prevent a lot (but likely not all) punctures. Helps smooth out the ride too.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#19 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

I carry tire plugs but have yet to use them since I years ago switched to BFG AllTerians. Been lots of places and been lucky enough to not have tire issiues.

Those that are having tire failures and multi tire flats, have they been with the BFG All Terrians???

While BFG's aren't the specific tire we're using, a tires quality makes a lot of difference. Load rating is one thing to consider the amount and type of belting is another. I've had great luck with Toyo and Dean. This includes Includes runs down the E. Steens road, South Catlow Valley, Glass Butte's (They don't call it "Glass" for nothing). Professionally the worst tires we use are the one's that come with the trucks from the factory. We used to try to get our value out of the stock tires then switch. Now they fail so fast out in the brush we just trade them for aftermarket the minute we get a new truck in.

As for mounting I'd opt for one of the front end options especially something along the brush guard lines like Stan@Four Wheel Campers posted a picture or two of. I have not had a rear swing out on a camper, but I've dealt with one enough on a Jeep and Bronco to know that it gets tiresome opening the swing out to get in the back. I don't know about Bend but over in Prineville I know there are a couple of fab shops that could set you up with something. As for which bank to rob to pay for it I can not help you with.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#20 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 November 2010 - 08:49 PM

I had a BFG A/T get a very large cut in the middle of the tread out in the Mojave Preserve on Ivanhoe Rd. Just wasn't going to plug worth a darn so I had to put the spare on and then prudence called for us to cut short that trip as the plan was to get much more remote. That tire didn't owe me a thing. I later figured out that it had over 35k on it, ranging from pavement to Oregon beach sand to Mojave Desert racing pit support to Baja 1000 pit support to a February trip to Toroweep. It had been on two different Suburbans in it's lifespan.

In the buggies carrying a spare was not really an option. We carried tubes, bead breakers, and motorcycle tire irons. Use a "Seal-A-Meal" on one of those foil lined electronics bags to seal the tube from UV and ozone.

Airing down works good if you are going slow. Going fast it is not a good call, and not just from a handling perspective. From experience with this a tire at normal pressure at speed does not cut as easily as a low tire. It is more likely to roll over something sharp at speed than to get cut by it. When going slow just the reverse is true, or that has been my experience anyway.

If you're going to build or have built a tire carrier I would suggest not using the typical design that has to 90* bends/joints in it that the tire then bolts to. Build a rectangular cradle for the tire to sit in, and run a HD ratchet strap over the top of the tire. Those two bends/joints will flex and eventually fail from fatigue.

Is Tom Hoy back from "the suck" yet? Bet he could do a stout job if he's doing that sort of work. He came over from Prineville to an event that I was at on the OR coast. Since Bob McCasland has retired he would be my first contact if I needed something like this built in that part of OR.
Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users