2 replies to this topic

#1 Nimbl Vehicles

Nimbl Vehicles

Gandalf the Grey

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationColfax, CA

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Can you use solar as a primary power source?

Well I did. I never charged the batteries through the alternator nor an extension cable; only through solar panels.
I did it as a prolonged test for myself to see if it actually could be done. Having traveled now some 40.000 miles with XP1 and XP2, I always had enough power for the main requirements:
1: Run the motor for the hydraulics
2: Fridge -this fridge has been running 24/7
3: Lights (high efficiency LED)
4: Hot water and air
5: Cooking (using the very efficient diesel cooker from Webasto)
6: TV/ DVD (yup I know, but living and working out of the camper does sometimes get boring)
7: Toilet

Couldn't always run the microwave which does suck up a lot of juice, but I never ran out of power during my test. I came close though.
On this version I had 3 panels at 110 watts each with 420 amps of battery power.

The efficient use of power is due to the choice of appliances and lights. Not all LEDs are the same. The ones I use are the only ones with a 75 degree light angle and produce a “real” light feel. You never know that they are LEDs when they are on. Guess you get what you pay for. And for those you pay…

Using the Webasto heater allows me a constant hot water supply and an incredibly efficient warm air heater to run.
The unit sucks between 1 and 3 amps when in use and doesn’t cycle very often.

Just thought I'd share my experiences

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,552 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

Did you keep track of the voltage levels? If you often had the batteries partially discharged the bulk of the time, even if you didn't run out of power you would take life off your batteries and those aren't cheap! Not saying that was actually an issue for you but it never makes any sense to me when people report their battery findings based solely on "I never ran out" or "I could still start my vehicle".

Cool experiment either way. Living in CA sun I'm sure helps though. ;)

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Not all LEDs are the same.
The ones I use are the only ones with a 75 degree light angle and produce a “real” light feel. You never know that they are LEDs when they are on. Guess you get what you pay for. And for those you pay…

Marc,

What brand/model of LED lights are you using? What is their current requirments?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users