98 replies to this topic

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

DD,

I had thought about something similar. Also taking a plasma cutter to the back of a cab and opening it up. Then using a gasket such as they use when attaching a van body to a box truck bed for fleet vehicles. Thus having a walk through pop up camper.

I always thought that'd be cool too but at that point you're really dedicating the rig to being a camper only unless you figure out a good removable door for the cutout on the truck.

Never said I was building it :D

I thought about using a wider door but in my drawings I was losing a fair amount of cabinet space with the 34 inch door I had planned to use. I looked again at the FWC and concluded that the 28 inch FWC door feels a lot smaller than it is because the bench seat protrudes so far into the entrance. I think that if the door were unobstructed it would be plenty big at 28 inches.

I suspected you weren't building based on your lack of interest (perceived on my part) towards in depth building projects in the past but I previously didn't say it as to not take any wind out of your sails if that was the case. :P

Going on the limb should I'm assume we're talking sliding wall hard side campers like XP and alaskan for the doorway which would be full height (that is what I'm looking at myself)? If so I was thinking 24" on the lower would likely be plenty, esp. without any obstructions like a couch in the way. The upper would need to be wider to work the hinge layout anyways which is where you could have some more width to accommodate the upper body. But if you got the room for the 28" roll with it.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#12 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

DD: Maybe some ideas can be found here. http://www.talvor.com/rv-vehicles.aspx

Take a look at the adventure camper. Good luck.
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#13 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

DD: Maybe some ideas can be found here. http://www.talvor.com/rv-vehicles.aspx

Take a look at the adventure camper. Good luck.

Interesting stuff there thanks Jim!

#14 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Doesn't a flat-bed as base make the whole thing -- with camper -- higher profile -- compared to a pickup? Isn't that at least somewhat of a downside?
I guess you could decide that the higher elevation is acceptable...but I don't see why higher would be preferable.
I'm sure this must have been addressed in the XPcamper context, but since pickup-vs-flatbed was mentioned in this thread...just wondering. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Doesn't a flat-bed as base make the whole thing -- with camper -- higher profile -- compared to a pickup? Isn't that at least somewhat of a downside?
I guess you could decide that the higher elevation is acceptable...but I don't see why higher would be preferable.
I'm sure this must have been addressed in the XPcamper context, but since pickup-vs-flatbed was mentioned in this thread...just wondering. Posted Image

Depends on the flatbed, if you want to lift the bed up to the top of the stock wheel wells the bed would be notably higher (but you can then have a drawer between the frame rails. However most fender wells are far taller than they need to be. Sounds like you can get away with 2-4" higher than the original bed for the manufacturer I was talking to. So from there you'd just need to adjust the height of the cab over in the design (if there is one) and go from there. With a pop-up there really isn't any reason the profile has to be taller. That is more driven by how thick the cab-over profile is and how much headroom you want in the down position.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#16 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Yes you are correct that is a downside. The whole thing is going to be about 8 inches taller. COG isn't affected though because appliances are mounted closer to the floor rather than above the bed walls. Also since the back wall will be for gear, I won't put a rack on top or store any gear on top so for those that use rocket boxes or racks the height will be less if gear is transferred to the back.

#17 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:44 PM

I think that we should all remember that compared to traditional hard sided campers popups have a very low center of gravity. The 8" inches of height gained due to the flatbed is easily offset, as DD has stated, by being able to mount appliances lower. In my opinion, I have not actually worked out any numbers, being able to mount the propane and water tank at bed level will more than offset the increase in height.

Cort

#18 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Yes you are correct that is a downside. The whole thing is going to be about 8 inches taller. COG isn't affected though because appliances are mounted closer to the floor rather than above the bed walls. Also since the back wall will be for gear, I won't put a rack on top or store any gear on top so for those that use rocket boxes or racks the height will be less if gear is transferred to the back.

OK, that makes sense. A couple guys drive flat-bed F350s to work (because they have acreage with little "ranches", I guess), so I've seen them a lot, and I've seen plenty around town, and I've noticed that their beds are noticeably higher than mine...maybe 8".
But yeah, having the extra floorspace, etc, would be a great thing...something to think about when I have $10,000+ that I don't want to spend on other things...Posted Image

It'll be great to follow your project, DD. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

DD, just an FYI if you're not wanting to have a center drawer between the bed rails a flatbed like the one from UTE supposidely only sits 2-4" higher than the stock bed. I still need to head down to their distributor (its located near me) and check them out first hand.

#20 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

DD, just an FYI if you're not wanting to have a center drawer between the bed rails a flatbed like the one from UTE supposidely only sits 2-4" higher than the stock bed. I still need to head down to their distributor (its located near me) and check them out first hand.

If that is the case i will be stoked! I did order the UTE. The guy told me the rear drawer won't fit on the shortbed model i ordered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users