98 replies to this topic

#21 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

I suspected you weren't building based on your lack of interest (perceived on my part) towards in depth building projects in the past but I previously didn't say it as to not take any wind out of your sails if that was the case. :P

I looked into doing a build myself but decided it's not very practical to try to build a pop-up myself. There's a reason 95% of home built campers you see out there are hard-sided: way easier to build.

However I can tell you that I was leaning towards having an aluminum frame fabricated and attaching Nida-Core panels to the frame.

#22 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

If that is the case i will be stoked! I did order the UTE. The guy told me the rear drawer won't fit on the shortbed model i ordered.

That is what they told me, which is why you can't do the rear drawer. When is yours due for delivery? I haven't ordered yet since I didn't 100% commit to the build yet.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#23 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

That is what they told me, which is why you can't do the rear drawer. When is yours due for delivery? I haven't ordered yet since I didn't 100% commit to the build yet.

I should have it installed on my truck week after next.

#24 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

I looked into doing a build myself but decided it's not very practical to try to build a pop-up myself. There's a reason 95% of home built campers you see out there are hard-sided: way easier to build.

However I can tell you that I was leaning towards having an aluminum frame fabricated and attaching Nida-Core panels to the frame.

Yeah hard sided is defiantly easier. As I mentioned elsewhere I'm looking at expoxy/fiberglass skins over a polystrene foam board core with some minimal wood in there. It definitely frees up some aspects that would be difficult to build in an aluminum frame. Lots of other little details to figure out though. :D

I should have it installed on my truck week after next.

Awesome. You coming here to get it or having it shipped to bend?

If you wouldn't mind taking some pictures of the frame attachments and measurements of deck height from your frame attachments I'd appreciate it. That would help me take measurements off mine to figure out where my deck height might be so I can minimize the gap over the cab.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#25 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Yeah hard sided is defiantly easier. As I mentioned elsewhere I'm looking at expoxy/fiberglass skins over a polystrene foam board core with some minimal wood in there. It definitely frees up some aspects that would be difficult to build in an aluminum frame. Lots of other little details to figure out though. :D

Awesome. You coming here to get it or having it shipped to bend?

If you wouldn't mind taking some pictures of the frame attachments and measurements of deck height from your frame attachments I'd appreciate it. That would help me take measurements off mine to figure out where my deck height might be so I can minimize the gap over the cab.

It's getting shipped here. I'm not going to be there when it's being installed but if you mean just a side shot above the wheel then sure.

#26 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

It's getting shipped here. I'm not going to be there when it's being installed but if you mean just a side shot above the wheel then sure.

Side shot yeah, but more so of the brackets connecting to the truck frame attachment points.

#27 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:45 AM

Pods8 is really putting a fire under my backside on this design process, so I present concept #1:

Yellow is Engel fridge. Red is SMEV integrated sink and stove. White is dinette. Blue is cabover bed. Note the cutout in the cabinet behind the rear dinette seat to allow a full length lower bed without giving up counter space.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:50 AM

Pods8 is really putting a fire under my backside on this design process, so I present concept #1:

Yellow is Engel fridge. Red is SMEV integrated sink and stove. White is dinette. Blue is cabover bed. Note the cutout in the cabinet behind the rear dinette seat to allow a full length lower bed without giving up counter space.

DD - Did you draw these with Google Sketch?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#29 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:54 AM

DD - Did you draw these with Google Sketch?

Yeah you should play with it it's pretty neat :)

#30 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

Yeah you should play with it it's pretty neat Posted Image

I downloaded Sketch 2 or 3 years ago, but didn't have anything at the time to use it for...
But now, I could play around with what I would do different if I gutted my FWC Hawk, keeping the frame. Like I said, I haven't tried Sketch in a couple of years, so it's at least worth a new dowload.

As a general question: Does anyone know why campers have the appliances and propane tank on the driver's side of the camper? If I did it I'd put that heavy stuff on the passenger side to better balance the whole rig -- since the driver's weight is always going to be on that side while there's not always going to be someone's weight in the passenger seat (almost never in my truck).
Or do some brands of camper not have the heavy stuff on the driver's side?

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users