• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#11 1tonpaulie

1tonpaulie

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, Illinois

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Pods are you talking hard sides and roof or pop top? Also a full height door or half height. I can not get use to the half height door. I have a knot in my for head from the FWC half height door. Maybe DD and yourself can start another camper company. Wander the Wild West Campers!

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Pods are you talking hard sides and roof or pop top? Also a full height door or half height. I can not get use to the half height door. I have a knot in my for head from the FWC half height door. Maybe DD and yourself can start another camper company. Wander the Wild West Campers!

Pop top but with overlapping hard sides like Alaskan and XP. Door would most likely be full height but I need to do some more pondering on the latch arrangement to be able to get in/out of the camper with top down (getting to the latch on the outer door from the inside posses a problem at initial glance).

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Pondering water tank sizing in relation to the internal layout (they'll be low and in the front so it affects the block along the front of the camper). Currently thinking about 15gal (maybe 10) fresh water tank. This would provide plenty of water for weekender trips and there is no need to build in tons of excess holding capacity that is rarely going to be used. To supplement longer trips I'd have areas configured to stow some of those cubical water jugs and when the extra water isn't needed the space can be utilized for other storage.

Posted Image

Thinking about just using typical 20lb propane tanks because they are common/cheap and propane places are used to them. Additional one of those tanks happens to be about the same size as one of the above water jugs so if I build a 2 tank propane compartment I'll have the option to either carry 2 tanks of propane or 1 tank of propane and 1 jug of water. That would actually work out nice because during the cold weather trips when you might want more propane for heating you'll likely be using less water than on the hot weather trips where more water and less propane is desired.

Thinking about having a gray water tank as well with a bypass right to an external drain for areas where going right to ground is okay. Not sure if I want to put in a fixed tank, maybe 10gal or so, or try and do a removable tank of some sort. A fixed tank would make the best use of space but then would require some other bucket or such be carried if I ever needed to ferry the gray water somewhere to drain it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#14 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

Have you looked at the Footwell water tank from Front Runner? Link

I have one in my truck, great piece of kit.

With the 40L in that tank, I am only going to carry a 20L tank in the camper. Oddly enough, when traveling solo (most of the time) I will carry an additional 20L in the cab.

So the long and short of it is I will be carrying 60-80L for one or two people. And I think you are on the right track with your water tank idea.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#15 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

Will you need 40lb of propane at any point?

Even with a lot of heating and cooking it is hard to figure ever needing more than 20lbs.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:09 AM

Have you looked at the Footwell water tank from Front Runner? Link

Since I can utilize basic shapes without issue I can score a similar sized tank for half the price. There are tons of rectangular tanks out there some with a 10"x10" profile, 8"x16", etc.

Will you need 40lb of propane at any point?

Even with a lot of heating and cooking it is hard to figure ever needing more than 20lbs.

Maybe cold weather/snow camping for more than a few days I was thinking. Sounds like folks tend to burn a tank in a few days in that type of weather, it'd be nice to have a week capacity. Most of the time I'd use it as an extra storage space I think.

#17 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

Sorta timely DD posted up his thread, I've been throwing together thoughts on doing a custom camper as well and have been studying up on the construction method I've been thinking about for a couple months. I've got a fairly good feeling on the concept there and the next step is to get some supplies in and make up some sample pieces.

Parallel path to that I need to get the actual camper designed. Pretty much will need to know about all major attachment points before construction begins. This will also be going on a flatbed. Current thought is for a 7.5' long, 83" wide camper on a short box truck (should only be ~6-7" longer than my hawk as I'll be able to get it closer to the truck cab without a front rack on the flatbed). The profile height will be driven by the final decisions on the cab over, I can make a nice thin over cab profile like FWC/ATC or I can add in a few inches to it to get a 3" storage compartment under the cab over mattress. Trade off of storage verse a sleeker profile.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, the first step here is figuring out a good floor plan. Goal is to accommodate 2 adults, 2 kids. Ideally have room for 2 people to be moving around at a time and seating for the others during that time. The pictures below is what I've thrown together so far:

Stats:
*40" wide dinette (78" long in bed mode)
*the counter top is around 3' long right now (little less than desired but might consider cutting board style pullouts on the dinette side and under the sink for extra space.
*The red block would be a 12V compressor freezer/fridge which would provide extra counter space when closed
*The gray block along the front of the camper taking foot room away from the counter area may go away, its a place holder depending on water tank selection.
*Dinette is setup in two parts so it can form a single bed/couch and half size table as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So those are my initial thoughts, hit me with any feedback or suggestions for consideration at this point. Its good to get outside opinions.

Pods8 – I really like this design. It has a lot in common with the unit I've asked ATC to build. I think the larger dinette adds a lot to a small floor plan. The flush appliances are even more important with the reduced countertop.

Attached Thumbnails

• custom ocelot shell.jpg

'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

Pods8 – I really like this design. It has a lot in common with the unit I've asked ATC to build. I think the larger dinette adds a lot to a small floor plan. The flush appliances are even more important with the reduced countertop.

Right on, if I was sticking to a traditional slide in I'd likely be looking at a floor plan like you have. The flatbed opens up the option to but the dinette in the back and not have to step over the lower bed to get to the top.

When you getting the new unit?

#19 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

The flatbed opens up the option to but the dinette in the back and not have to step over the lower bed to get to the top.

But pods, I don't think hikemt will have to step over the lower bed since when the upper bed is extended/pulled-out, it will be like an upper and lower bunk. At least that's what the dashed lines mean to me.

I too am thinking about the front dinette style for my Grandby remodel. I'll only ever need to have three total people (one in the lower bunk) so I think I can squeeze the second bed into the gap at the front where my counter peters out before the front of the camper. (Bad spacial explanation, I know.)
FWC-Owning Human

#20 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

But pods, I don't think hikemt will have to step over the lower bed since when the upper bed is extended/pulled-out, it will be like an upper and lower bunk. At least that's what the dashed lines mean to me.

I too am thinking about the front dinette style for my Grandby remodel. I'll only ever need to have three total people (one in the lower bunk) so I think I can squeeze the second bed into the gap at the front where my counter peters out before the front of the camper. (Bad spacial explanation, I know.)

Looking at his, yeah that would be the case. But since I want a 40" dinette and ideally no pullout into the camper that wouldn't work out for me. ;)

I understood your explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users