11 replies to this topic

#1 imclint

imclint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

Hi, I just found this site and have been learning lots by reading through it. I am looking to purchase a lightweight camper for my 2001 extended cab Silverado. This is a wimpy 2wd truck with a 4.8 V8 and 6-1/2' bed that mostly stays on paved roads. When I say wimpy, the sticker in the glove box states the weight limit for a camper is 613# although I'm not sure why it is so low. They must be figuring I'll have a camper and 6 adult passengers at the same time...

In any case, I figure I'll be okay with a 900-1200# pop up camper. What do you think? What issues do you think I'd have with my suspension? Tires are Load Range E.

Aside from weight, I only have a budget of about $2500. The only campers I have found (in decent condition) in this price range are late 1980's to early 1990's Skampers. I understand these are wood-framed campers built by a company no longer in existance. Considering my non off-road use, would one of these be an acceptable camper?

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

I think it would suit your needs, provided the wood isn't rotten anywhere. (Pay particular attention to the bottomside, specifically the corners and joints.)

Your truck can handle it. Might need add-a-leafs or a swaybar, but that's no biggie.

I'll caution you about the pop-up mechanism on those though - if it goes, you'll never get parts to repair it. I had a Skamper once and it was a good camper but it wasn't particularly well built. Skamper was absorbed by Palomino some years ago and then basically dissolved. Palomino doesn't stock parts (never did) nor do they have any molds or any of that so I pretty much had to hand fabricate some unique parts I needed. Even RV Doctor George didn't have some of the stuff I needed at times.

Not trying to scare you off, just sharing my experience. It's a good camper to get you into the world of pop-up truck camping, and soon enough you'll want to upgrade to 4WC or ATC.

And I sure do miss that under-bed storage sometimes.

#3 imclint

imclint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

In addition to the above post, I want to add that the Skampers I have been finding are 8' long, so I'd have to run with the tailgate down. What are the pros/cons of doing this?

I've also found an 8' Starcraft--any opinions on it?

From what I have been reading, a camper designed for a smaller truck (i.e. Toyota/Ranger/S-10) would also work on my short-bed Silverado if I build a platform under it. That might expand my options as I continue my search. Are there other things I should consider if I find one in this size?

I'd love to get a 6-1/2' 4WC or ATC, but don't hold much hope that I'll find one in my price range.

Thanks again for your help.

#4 imclint

imclint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

BSS--Thanks for the reply. When you say "pay attention to the bottom side," are you referring to where it sits on the bed of the truck? Are there particular issues in this area or just general concerns?

As for the Skamper lift mechanism and other parts I would need, would I be able to manufacture those myself (I'm pretty handy with metal fab, welding, carpentry...) or are they so specialized that the camper would be deemed unusable without factory replacement parts? What other items do you think would be obsolete/unattainable?

What brand camper would you suggest given my needs and budget? Any thoughts on a Starcraft?

Thanks again for your input.

#5 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

There are tons of older FWC's here in Colorado that come up for sale from FREE (come and get it kinda thing) to a couple thousand dollars. Denver Craigslist is a goldmine most of the time.

Most folks here are gonna advise against something that isn't aluminum framed (FWC/ATC/Coyote/etc) for reasons of weight and durabiliy. A few folks had other units before their FWC's, LISTEN to their comments. Buying an FWC over other brands (IMO) is like buying North Face stuff over Eureka in the camping arena. That is, if longevity is something you are interested in. I mean...look at how many 70-80-90's FWC's there are...then look around and try to find other brands that are of a similar age. Where are they? In the landfill, that's where. Wood and composites aren't aluminum no matter how you slice and dice it.

If yer not in a huge hurry...wait and scope it out. Folks are hurtin right now. Something will surface if you take the time

good luck

mtn
Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#6 natjwest

natjwest

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationPortland Orygun

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

If you are in Northwest Washington, you're probably going to have a drive to pick up a used FWC. What year is your truck? Older campers might not fit your tailgate opening, including Skampers and FWCs. Even here in Oregon/Washington, extremely cheap FWC campers (sub-$1000) appear on craigslist but I've never seen an extremely cheap one with a "modern" tail width of 61". For that, you're looking a minimum of $2500, and most likely a drive. The extremely cheap campers available will most likely need significant work.

How about tricking out a canopy/shell in the interim until you can afford a drive and some more money?
FWC-Owning Human

#7 imclint

imclint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Mtn High,

I understand about the aluminum vs. wood framing and agree with your assessment about longevity, especially for off-road use. With this type of frame, even if there are leaks or problems, there is always the aluminum "foundation" that can be rebuilt upon. Even more germane to my use is the weight factor--I want to install the camper on my truck and keep it there for every day driving as well as trips. That is why I'm looking for a pop-up, and aluminum ones are lighter. Thanks for your input. If you know of someone who is "hurtin" and wants to sell their camper, please let me know. I would consider coming to Denver to get it.

#8 imclint

imclint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNW Washington

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

natjwest,

My truck is an '01 Chevy short bed (60-1/4" tailgate width). Are there older FWC for smaller trucks that will fit my bed if I build up a base? I might actually prefer a smaller one as it would serve my purposes and be lighter weight.

As for the canopy/shell idea, I have a great SnugTop cab-high with bed rug. It is nice and plush, great for sleeping, but not so great for sitting in during rain or trying to escape mosquitos while cooking. I have seriously thought about an aluminum utility/construction canopy that is taller; could add insulation, paneling, minimal cabinets and so forth, but would be a bit small for two people with these modifications. They cost thousands for a new one and finding used is more of a challenge than finding a used camper. I'll ponder this more as I continue my search.

#9 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:32 AM

Howdy neighbor. Keep watching. Affordable campers do come up although a lot are in really poor condition. I've attached pics of a camper I purchased in October that fit your budget. You can see the 6-1/4 inch spacer platform I built and the narrow rear end that would fit your truck. Floor length is 7 feet. My F-150 has a 6 foot 8 inch bed so the camper hangs off a little bit. Good luck.
Posted ImagePosted Image
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#10 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:01 AM

There's a camper in W. Seattle right now. I would recommend NOT driving to Denver, or even Portland to but a camper. Based on our experience, online photos hide the flaws. You just can't see all the wear and tear and damage.

Good luck. http://seattle.craig...2161259694.html
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users